|Javed Akhtar Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 17, 1945|
Javed Akhtar is an Indian poet, lyricist, screenwriter, political activist, and actor. He came into prominence for being one-half of the duo Salim–Javed alongside noted actor and screenwriter Salim Khan. Over the years, Javed Akhtar has worked on numerous films including Mr. India, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Arjun, Saaz, Mashaal, Lakshya, Main Azaad Hoon, Khel, Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja, Don: The Chase Begins Again, Godmother, Dil Dhadakne Do, Seeta Aur Geeta, Haathi Mere Saathi, Immaan Dharam, Kisna: The Warrior Poet, Kaala Patthar, Raees, Karthik Calling Karthik, and Wake Up Sid. He has won at least 5 National Film Awards as well as received the Padma Shri in 1999 and the Padma Bhushan in 2007, two of India’s highest civilian honors.
Gwalior, Gwalior State, British India (Later: Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India)
Mumbai, Maharastra, India
Javed Akhtar studied at Colvin Taluqdars’ College, a private school located in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. Afterward, he graduated from Saifiya College in Bhopal.
Poet, Lyricist, Screenwriter, Political Activist, Actor
- Father – Jan Nisar Akhtar (Bollywood Film Songwriter, Urdu Poet, Part of the Progressive Writers’ Movement)
- Mother – Safiya Siraj-ul Haq (Died of cancer on January 17, 1953)
- Siblings – Salman Akhtar (Younger Brother) (Poet, Psychoanalyst, Author, Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia)
- Others – Khadija Talat (Stepmother), Muztar Khairabadi (Paternal Grandfather) (Urdu Poet), Fazl-e-Haq Khairabadi (Paternal Great-Great-Grandfather) (Hanafi Jurist, Rationalist Scholar, Maturidi Theologian, Philosopher, Poet), Asrar-ul-Haq “Majaz” (Uncle) (Urdu Poet), Ansar Harvani (Uncle) (Member of the Indian independence movement and an elected Member of Parliament), Hamida Salim (Aunt) (Author, Economist, Educator), Kabir Akhtar (Nephew) (Director, Editor), Shibani Dandekar (Daughter-In-Law) (Actor, Model, Anchor, Singer), Adhuna Akhtar (Ex Daughter-In-Law) (Hair Stylist)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth had been $20 Million.
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Javed Akhtar has dated –
- Honey Irani (1972-1978) – After meeting actor and screenwriter Honey Irani on the sets of Seeta Aur Geeta, he eventually married her on March 21, 1972. They parent 2 children – a daughter named Zoya Akhtar (b. October 14, 1972) and a son named Farhan Akhtar (b. January 9, 1974). However, after Javed Akhtar became romantically involved with actor Shabana Azmi in the mid-1970s, the couple separated in 1978 and divorced in 1985.
- Shabana Azmi (Mid-1970s-Present) – He became involved with actor and theatre artist Shabana Azmi in the mid-1970s. She is the daughter of revered Urdu poet Kaifi Azmi. Javed Akhtar married Azmi on December 9, 1984, and then divorced his first wife. Also, Shabana Azmi’s parents had objected to her being involved with a married man with 2 children.
- Meenakshi Sheshadri – He was also linked with former actor Meenakshi Sheshadri in the past after he recommended her for movies like Mere Jung and Dacait.
Race / Ethnicity
Javed Akhtar has done endorsement work for Dr.Ortho Oil & Capsules.
Javed Akhtar Facts
- His original name was “Jadoo” which was taken from a line in a poem written by his father: “Lamha, lamha kisi jadoo ka fasana hoga”. Later, he was officially named “Javed” as it was the closest to the word jadoo.
- On November 16, 2009, Javed Akhtar was nominated to the Parliament’s upper house Rajya Sabha.
- He considers himself a die-hard optimist.
- He has worked with his son on projects like Dil Chahta Hai, Lakshya, Rock On!!, and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara.
- In 2020, Javed Akhtar received the Richard Dawkins Award for being a “powerful force for secularism, reason, and human rights, challenging superstition and intolerance through his work in poetry, screenwriting, and political activism”.
Featured Image by Ramesh lalwani / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0