|Jean Reno Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||July 30, 1948|
Jean Reno is a French actor of Spanish origin who has done an impressive body of work in French, English, Spanish, Italian, and Japanese productions. He rose to prominence by playing Enzo Molinari in Luc Besson’s The Big Blue (1988) and has collaborated with the famed French director in critically-acclaimed films like Nikita (1990) and Léon: The Professional (1994). Additionally, Jean has been well-received in Hollywood due to his roles in films like Mission: Impossible (1996), French Kiss (1995), and The Pink Panther (2006). His versatility as an actor in several genres like comedy, action, drama, and romance has made him one of the most popular French actors throughout the world.
Juan Moreno y Herrera-Jiménez
- Paris, France
- New York City, New York, United States
Jean enrolled himself at the Cours Simon School of Drama in Paris to study acting.
- Father – Born in Sanlucar de Barrameda, in Cádiz, Spain
- Mother – Born in Jerez de la Frontera, in Cádiz, Spain
- Siblings – María Teresa (Younger Sister)
- Others – Vincent Tulli (Son-in-law) (Husband of daughter Sandra) (Sound Engineer, Actor)
Jean is represented by –
- SMTSCD Production in New York
- Gaumont in France
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jean Reno has dated –
- Genevieve Reno (1976-1995) – Jean met his first wife Genevieve in 1976 and the two got married the next year in 1977. The couple has 2 kids – a daughter named Sandra Elisabeth Moreno (b. August 22, 1977) and a son named Mickael Reno (b. 1980). Sandra has followed in her father’s footsteps and works as an actress. By 1995, Jean and Genevieve were officially divorced.
- Nathalie Dyszkiewicz (1995-2001) – After his divorce in 1995, Jean began dating Polish model Nathalie Dyszkiewicz whom he met on the Champs Elysées in Paris. They got married in 1996 and soon became parents to son Tom Reno (b. January 10, 1996) and daughter Serena Reno (b. June 28, 1998). However, they filed for divorce in 2001.
- Zofia Borucka (2006-Present) – In 2006, Jean fell in love with Zofia Borucka, a British model and actress with Polish roots. The couple tied the knot on July 29, 2006, at the city hall in Les Baux-de-Provence. The wedding ceremony was attended by Nicolas Sarkozy (Presidential candidate at that time), who served as his best man along with singer Johnny Hallyday. Together, they have 2 sons named Cielo (b. July 2009) and Dean Reno (b. September 8, 2011).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Spanish (Andalusian) descent.
However, his hair has turned salt and pepper due to his advancing age.
- Intense eyes
- Receding hairline
Jean Reno has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Association Perce-neige
- Toyota Alphard (Japan) (2002)
- UPS (2006)
- Samsonite Graviton Luggage (Print Ads) (2007)
- Cendrine O Eyeglass Frames (Print Ads) (2009)
- Sky+ (2012)
- Toyota (as Doraemon) (2011-2012)
- Honda Orthia (Japan)
- EB Beer (Polish brand)
- Salem Pianissimo (Japan)
- Suntory Planipa (Japan)
- Pocari Sweat (Japan)
- Bentley Bentayga
- Groupe Lucien Barrière
Jean received a Catholic upbringing.
But, his present religious beliefs aren’t known.
Best Known For
His memorable performance in films like The Big Blue (1988), Les Visiteurs (1993), The Da Vinci Code (2006), Léon: The Professional (1994), The Crimson Rivers (2000), and many more
In 1978, Jean made his feature film debut as a tableaux personnel in the French experimental film The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting.
First TV Show
Jean made his first TV show appearance as Moraglia in the mini-series L’aéropostale, courrier du ciel (Aéropostale, Mail from the sky) in 1980.
Jean Reno Favorite Things
- Restaurant – Guy Savoy in Paris
- Movies – Apocalypse Now (1979), Taxi Driver (1976), Life is Beautiful (1997), II Sorpasso (1962), Beauty and the Beast (1946)
- Dining App – LocalEats
- Hotels – The Lemuria Resort in Seychelles, Fregate Island Private in Seychelles
Source – Guardian, Rotten Tomatoes, RogersMovieNation.com, Telegraph
Jean Reno Facts
- Jean’s parents were Spanish natives who fled to Morocco in North Africa to escape Francisco Franco’s dictatorial regime in Spain.
- His father worked as a linotypist. His mother was a tailor and passed away when Jean was 17 years old.
- After growing up in Casablanca in Morocco, he moved to France at the age of 17 to pursue an acting career.
- Jean was required to join the French military service after his family had received French citizenship. He served in the army for 4 years.
- The actor changed his name by adopting the French substitute for his birth name Juan, which is Jean and shortening his last name to Reno.
- He was Luc Besson’s only choice for the role of Léon Montana in his directorial film Léon: The Professional (1994) although Keanu Reeves had expressed interest in the part. The film was actress Natalie Portman‘s debut film role.
- Jean considers his spirit animal to be a camel.
- He is a proficient diver, a skill he learned while preparing for the film The Big Blue (1988).
- Jean plays the piano, guitar, and drums.
- He declined the offer to play Agent Smith in The Matrix (1999) in order to star in Godzilla (1998). The role eventually went to Hugo Weaving.
- His name is mentioned in the song Cosmopolitan by French singers Vincent Delerm and Carla Bruni.
- Jean is fluent in several languages like French, English, Spanish, Arabic, and Italian.
- According to Jungian psychology, Jean’s personality is classified as an ISFP (Introvert, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving).
- Jean bears a striking resemblance to Irish actor Liam Cunningham who played the role of Davos Seaworth in the fantasy-drama Game of Thrones.
- Jean was honored with the title, Cádiz’s Predilect Son in 2006. It was a huge honor for the actor whose parents originated from the cities of Cádiz.
- In December 2003, Jean was awarded the second-highest civilian honor in France, an officer of the National Order of Merit, by President Jacques Chirac.
- Jean voiced the character of Mufasa in the French version of the 1994 film The Lion King.
- He lived next to Nicolas Sarkozy in the 1990s at Paris’s elite neighborhood, Ile de la Jatte and the two formed a close friendship over the years. He also campaigned for Sarkozy during the 2007 French presidential elections.
- Jean became a grandfather when his oldest daughter Sandra gave birth to a baby boy named Angel in 2013.
- Jean does not have any social media accounts.
Featured Image by Georges Biard / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0