|Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||April 17, 1985|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is a French former professional tennis player who is best known for winning numerous ATP singles titles and the 2003 US Open. In February 2012, he achieved his highest ranking of No. 5 by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP). Jo-Wilfried was named ATP‘s “Newcomer of the Year” in 2007. He has been sponsored by brands like Adidas and Babolat. He has participated in numerous tournaments such as US Open, Australian Open, Summer Olympics, Canadian Open, Paris Masters, Shanghai Masters, French Open, Wimbledon, and many more.
Tsonga, Ali (Because of him having a similar face to the former American boxer Muhammad Ali)
Le Mans, France
Professional Tennis Player
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
- Father – Didier Tsonga (Former Handball Player)
- Mother – Evelyne Tsonga
- Siblings – Enzo Tsonga (Younger Brother) (Basketball Player), Sasha Tsonga (Older Sister)
- Other – Mael Lepicier (Cousin) (Footballer)
Tsonga is signed with Tennis Club de Paris.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
91 kg or 201 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga dated –
- Noura El Shwekh (2014-Present) – Tsonga started dating Noura El Swekh in 2014. She can be often seen in Tsonga’s matches, cheering for her spouse. In November 2016, the couple revealed that they were expecting their first child together. Noura gave birth to a baby boy named Sugar on March 17, 2017. They got married on July 21, 2018, at the Château de Bagnols.
Race / Ethnicity
Tsonga’s father is of Congolese descent.
Tsonga has signed endorsement contracts with Adidas, Rexona, Hyatt, Rolex, Ferrero, Capri-Sun, and Babolat.
Best Known For
His performance at the 2008 Australian Open when he managed to reach the finals where he lost to Novak Djokovic. On the way to his first Grand Slam Final, Tsonga defeated much better-rated players including the world No. 2 at that moment, Rafael Nadal.
First TV Show
Other than tennis matches itself, Jo-Wilfried has appeared in an episode of the sport based game show A Question of Sport (2010) as himself.
Throughout his career, Jo-Wilfried has trained with –
- Eric Winogradsky (2004-2011)
- Roger Rasheed (2012-2013)
- Thierry Ascione
- Nicolas Escude
The following video contains footage of Tsonga’s training –
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Favorite Things
- Movie – The Lord of the Rings (2001, 2002, 2003)
- Ice Cream Flavor – Vanilla
- Meal – “Meal from Congo” – It’s like a chicken with peanut butter
- Non-Tennis Sport to Watch – Basketball
- Player to Watch – Rafael Nadal
Source – AXS.com
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Facts
- Tsonga’s father Didier shifted to France from Congo during the 1970s in order to continue his pursuit of becoming a professional handball player. He was the national champion of his age in 1999.
- Jo-Wilfried is great friends with another French tennis player Gael Monfils. At a young age, they used to mimic all the great tennis players who played in the past.
- He won the US Open title as a Junior (in 2003) and was ranked number 2 in the world.
- In 2009, Tsonga changed racquets from Wilson to Babolat.
- He has one of the fastest and most powerful serves in the world.
- Jo-Wilfried sometimes uses a one-armed backhand instead of his natural two-handed backhand.
- Tsonga’s most advantageous surface is the hard one, but he also loves playing on a grass surface.
- Jo-Wilfried once stated that he inherited his kindness from his mother and his strength from his father.
- He was voted the 2007 ATP Newcomer of the Year.
- He was selected as the 2008 Most Improved Player of the Year.
- He owns a foundation by the name of “Attrap’ La Balle” which helps children in Congo to get into various sports activities.