|João Sousa Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||March 30, 1989|
João Sousa is a Portuguese professional tennis player who is considered as one of the best Portuguese tennis players of all time. He first gained popularity during the 2013 Malaysian Open after he became the first Portuguese player to win a World Tour-level singles tournament. He achieved his highest ATP singles ranking of No. 28 in May 2016 and doubles ranking of No. 26 in May 2019. During the course of his career, he has participated in numerous tournaments such as Australian Open, US Open, Wimbledon, French Open, ATP Challenger Tour, Masters 1000, Valencia Open, and many more.
João Pedro Coelho Marinho de Sousa
João Sousa, Sousa, Conquistador (Portuguese of Conqueror)
João went to a boarding school at Barcelona, Spain.
Professional Tennis Player
Right-handed (Two-handed Backhand)
- Father – Armando Marinho de Sousa (Tennis Judge, Amateur Tennis Player)
- Mother – Adelaide Coelho Sousa (Banker)
- Siblings – Luis Carlos Sousa (Younger Brother)
6 ft 1 in or 185 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
João Sousa dated –
- Julia Villanueva (2008-Present) – Since 2008, João Sousa is in a relationship with Julia Villanueva.
Race / Ethnicity
- Hazel eyes
- Long and wavy hair
- Often wears a hat
Sousa has signed endorsement contracts with Millennium bcp, Polaris Sports, Mike Davis (Portuguese clothing brand), Lotto, Wilson, and Gold Nutrition.
Best Known For
Sousa is recognized as one of the best Portuguese tennis players of all time.
First TV Show
Other than tennis matches itself, in 2016, Sousa appeared in the talk-show Sociedade Recreativa as himself.
Joao Sousa has been coached by –
- Luis Miguel Coutinho
- Alvaro Margets
- Frederico Marques
- BTT Academy (Francisco Roig)
Check the following link to see how Joao prepares for the upcoming tournaments.
João Sousa Favorite Things
- Surface – Clay
Source – ATP World Tour
João Sousa Facts
- Sousa started playing tennis when he was 7.
- At the age of 15, João shifted to Barcelona in order to chase his dream of becoming a professional tennis player.
- While growing up, Sousa idolized Juan Carlos Ferrero, Pete Sampras, and Roger Federer.
- He is multilingual and speaks Portuguese, Spanish, English, French, Italian, and Catalan.
- Sousa once stated that if he hadn’t find his success in tennis, he would have been a footballer or a doctor.
- In Joao’s opinion, his best shot is the forehand.
- He lifted his first professional trophy in 2009.
- He won the U-14 doubles title with partner Gastao Elias.
- While Sousa played tennis, he also competed for a local club called Vitoria de Guimaraes.
- Joao is an avid fan of the football club Guimaraes.
- Sousa was a member of the National Tennis Training Center in Maia for a short time as it closed soon after he joined it.
- In the early days of his professional career, Sousa had tough times finding sponsors for which he blamed the local government because of being unsupportive for every type of sport except football.
- At the time when he was a junior, his family was his main source of financial support. They even went through bank loans so that Joan can continue to play.