|John Huston Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||August 5, 1906|
|Date of Death||August 28, 1987|
John Huston was an American director, screenwriter, and actor who established himself as one of Hollywood’s most influential filmmakers with films like The Maltese Falcon (1941), San Pietro (1945), Let There Be Light (1980), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), The Asphalt Jungle (1950), The African Queen (1951), Key Largo (1948), The Man Who Would Be King (1975), The Misfits (1961), etc.
John Marcellus Huston
Double Ugly, The Monster (by Humphrey Bogart), Guest X
He was born on August 5, 1906.
He passed away on August 28, 1987, in Middletown, Rhode Island, from complications arising from lung disease. He was 81 years old at that time.
Nevada, Missouri, United States
Director, Actor, Screenwriter
- Father – Walter Huston (Actor, Singer)
- Mother – Rhea Catherine Gore
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Huston had dated –
- Doris Lilly
- Dorothy Harvey (1926-1933) – His first marriage was to Dorothy Harvey, which lasted from October 17, 1926, until January 10, 1933.
- Edith Lesley Black (1936-1945) – Edith Lesley Black and Huston were married from October 3, 1937, until their divorce on April 7, 1945.
- Marietta Fitzgerald – In 1940, he had an affair with the married New York socialite, Marietta Fitzgerald, while he was still married to Black.
- Olivia de Havilland (1940-1943)
- Nora Eddington (1945)
- Evelyn Keyes (1945-1950) – His marriage to Evelyn Keyes lasted from July 23, 1946, until February 10, 1950. They adopted a boy named Pablo, whom John had found orphaned in Mexico.
- Ava Gardner (1946)
- Paulette Goddard (1948)
- Marilyn Monroe (1949)
- Enrica Sonia ‘Ricki’ Soma (1949-1969) – John wed Enrica Soma on February 25, 1950. They welcomed son Walter Antony ‘Tony’ Huston (b. April 16, 1950) and daughter Anjelica Huston (b. July 8, 1951). Soma also gave birth to a daughter named Allegra Huston (b. August 26, 1964) as a result of her extramarital affair with John Julius Norwich. Nevertheless, their marriage lasted until Soma’s death in a car accident on January 29, 1969. Following her death at the young age of 39 years, John adopted Allegra and raised her as one of his own kids.
- Lynne Baggett (1952)
- Zoe Sallis (1960-1963) – He fathered a son named Danny Huston (b. May 14, 1962) from his extramarital affair with author Zoe Sallis.
- Celeste Shane (1971-1977) – He tied the knot with Celeste Shane on August 8, 1972. Huston later referred to Shane as a crocodile and admitted to regretting his fifth marriage, which ended in divorce on July 21, 1977.
- Susan Tyrrell (1972)
Race / Ethnicity
He had English, Scottish, distant German, 1/512 Portuguese, and Scots-Irish/Northern Irish ancestry.
- Pointed nose
- Gravelly smoke-burnished voice
John Huston Facts
- He had directed his parent (Walter Huston) and child (Anjelica Huston) in Academy Award-winning roles and, as of 2023, is the only person to hold this distinction. His father won the golden statue for ‘Best Supporting Actor’ in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) in 1949 while his daughter won for ‘Best Supporting Actress’ in Prizzi’s Honor(1985) in 1986.
- Huston was a licensed pilot.
- He was great friends with Humphrey Bogart and Orson Welles. Additionally, both Huston and Welles launched their directorial careers spectacularly with The Maltese Falcon (1941) and Citizen Kane (1941) respectively.
- John and his father Walter Huston became the first Oscar-winning father-son duo, who were both nominated and winners in the same year i.e., 1949 for The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948).
- His family is the first family to have 3 generations of Oscar winners: Walter Huston, John Huston, and Anjelica Huston.
- According to Huston, The MacKintosh Man (1973) was his worst movie as a director.
- His portrayal of Noah Cross in Chinatown (1974) was ranked as the 16th ‘Greatest Screen Villains of All Time’ on the American Film Institute‘s 2003 list of ‘100 Heroes and Villains’.
- The Entertainment Weekly ranked John as the 13th ‘Greatest Director of All Time’ in 1996.
Featured Image by Unknown / Wikimedia / Public Domain
He was 6 ft 1 1/2 in tall (186.5 cm)
According to imdb.com