|Marilyn Monroe Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5½ in|
|Date of Birth||June 1, 1926|
|Date of Death||August 5, 1962|
Norma Jeane Mortenson
MM, Marilyn Monroe, The Blonde Bombshell
Marilyn Monroe was born on June 1, 1926.
Marilyn died at the age of 36 on August 5, 1962, after committing suicide with a barbiturate overdose.
Los Angeles, California, United States
Marilyn went to the Emerson Junior High School (later known as Ralph Waldo Emerson Community Charter School) in Westwood. After completing her junior high school studies, she got enrolled at the Van Nuys High School. However, she didn’t complete her high school studies there.
She also went to University High School in Los Angeles for secondary education.
Marilyn is also an alumnus of Actors Studio and Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute.
Actress, model, and singer
- Father – Identity of her biological father isn’t known.
- Mother – Gladys Pearl Baker (Flapper and film negative cutter)
- Siblings – Bernice Baker (Older Half-Sister), Robert Kermit Baker (Older Half-Brother)
- Others – Albert Bolender (Foster Father), Ida Bolender (Foster Mother), Grace McKee Goddard (Marilyn’s Legal Guardian)
Marilyn Monroe was discovered by Johnny Hyde who served as her first manager.
She was later represented by Norman Brokaw.
5 ft 5½ in or 166 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Marilyn Monroe had dated –
- James Dougherty (1942-1946) – When her foster family was looking to move out of California, Marilyn had to be returned to the orphanage. The only way out was to get married. She just did that by getting married to her neighbor James Dougherty in June 1942 just after her 16th birthday. However, this marriage came to an end four years later as she found success as a model and wanted to become a movie star. Her husband had given her an ultimatum to either choose to be a star or a housewife.
- Johnny Hyde – After signing her up in September 1948, Russian-American agent Johnny Hyde started having a sexual relationship with Marilyn. However, she resisted his marriage proposals.
- Elia Kazan – Marilyn had an on-and-off affair with director Elia Kazan in the early half of the 50s.
- Porfirio Rubirosa – Marilyn is reported to have a short and steamy fling with Dominican diplomat Porfirio Rubirosa, who was particularly well known for his playboy lifestyle and possessing a well-endowed manhood.
- Yul Brynner – Marilyn had a brief affair with Swiss actor Yul Brynner. When asked about their relationship, Yul didn’t denounce rumors of them being together. Moreover, their relationship was confirmed by his son years later. He claimed to have seen his father bring Marilyn home and used to find her clothes scattered on the floor the next day.
- Howard Hughes – During the production of the movie, Clash by Night, Howard had sent a message to Marilyn asking her to meet him. His wife, Terry Moore, would later reveal that Hughes gave Marilyn a jeweled brooch worth $500. Also, Marilyn confessed to her voice coach, Natasha Lytess of having had a brief affair with Huges.
- Jorge Guinle (1947) – The billionaire Brazilian tycoon Jorge Guinle had an affair with twenty-year-old Marilyn in 1947. In 1962, he had flown to Los Angeles to escort her to the Venice Film Festival but on arriving in LA, he learned about her death.
- Ronald Reagan (1948) – Marilyn was introduced to 40th U.S. President, Ronald Reagan in 1948 by director Phil Karlson. According to reports, he described her as sensational and in reply, she stated that she was more sensational once you get to know her. They went out for a couple of months.
- Judy Garland (1948) – RUMOR
- Milton Berle (1948) – Marilyn first met comedian Milton Berle while shooting for the film, Ladies of the Chorus. However, they didn’t start going out instantly as he was in a relationship with Adele Jergens.
- Fred Karger (1948) – Marilyn has often stated in her interviews that she considered Fred Karger, Columbia Picture’s vocal coach as her first love. Fred introduced her to classical music and fine literature. He also arranged for her to get her two protruding teeth fixed. She gifted him a gold watch worth $500. While they were dating, they were regularly seen at the seaside restaurants in Malibu and numerous nightclubs on Sunset strip. Marilyn wanted to get married to him, but he turned her down saying that she wasn’t the wife and mother material.
- Tony Curtis (1950-1960)
- Ray Nicholas (1951) – Marilyn started going out with eccentric director Ray Nicholas in 1951. She found his age and intelligence sexually arising. Her affair with Ray was hot and cold and for some years, he passed back and forth between Marilyn and her flatmate Shelley Winters.
- Nico Minardos (1952) – Marilyn met actor Nico Minardos on the set of Money Business. Minardos was taking production classes at Twentieth Century Fox and she was shooting for her movie. She had reportedly asked a Greek friend to introduce them. Their relationship lasted for about 7 months and for some time, he lived with her.
- Joe DiMaggio (1952-1954) – It is reported that baseball legend Joe DiMaggio got infatuated with Marilyn after seeing her posing with Chicago White Sox player, Gus Zernial. He asked a mutual friend to arrange a date, which was set up at Villa Nova, an Italian restaurant on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles. For the date, she arrived about two hours late but was impressed by his quiet demeanor and his aura. Despite being a spindly man, he dominated the room. On New Year’s Eve in 1953, he proposed to her and they got married a couple of weeks later in a quick civil ceremony in San Francisco. However, the problems were there from the start as she wasn’t happy with her acting career. Things worsened after she did a skirt-flying shoot for the promotion of The Seven Year Itch (1955). DiMaggio was among those 2000+ spectators at the event and he was furious. He waited for her in the room and gave her another sound beating, which led to her filing for the divorce.
- James Dean – RUMOR
- Frank Sinatra (1954-1955) – Marilyn had a close friendship with singer Frank Sinatra and he was even present during her divorce from DiMaggio. After her divorce, she moved in to live with Sinatra so that she could recover emotionally. Their relationship was platonic until one morning, he found her standing naked in front of the refrigerator deciding whether to have grapefruit or orange juice. That morning he was cured of impotency he was suffering from due to his alcohol abuse. However, despite their sexual relationship, he didn’t get serious about her as he was still in love with his estranged wife Ava Gardner. They remained close friends till her death and she even visited his resort just a couple of weeks before committing suicide.
- Marlon Brando (1955) – Contrary to the rumors, Marilyn didn’t have a decade-long affair with actor Marlon Brando. They had a brief affair in 1955. However, they remained close friends and he even accompanied her to the premiere of The Rose Tattoo.
- Arthur Miller (1955-1961) – Marilyn was introduced to playwright Arthur Miller in 1950 by director Elia Kazan. She started dating him in the spring of 1955. Initially, the relationship was kept secret as Miller was married and father to two children. She was infatuated by his intellect and loved listening to him and he loved lecturing her. However, she was reluctant to get married to him as she felt that she wasn’t right for him. Despite her misgivings, they got married in June 1956 in a private ceremony. In the summer of 1956, they traveled to London, where she was shooting for The Prince And the Showgirl. After the marriage, she was dismayed by his constant nagging and asking her how to act. He had realized that she wasn’t what he had imagined. She even read his thoughts about it in his diary. In December 1958, she suffered a miscarriage and was told by doctors that she would never be able to bear children. They divorced in 1961. Miller would go on to write a play based on their marriage, in which he would create a cruel and humiliating depiction of her.
- Joan Crawford (1956)
- Dean Martin (1960)
- Paul Newman (1960)
- John F. Kennedy (1961-1962) – The broad census is that Marilyn began her affair with former US President John F. Kennedy after having sung Happy Birthday to him in Madison Square Garden in May 1962. However, some sources claim that they had begun their affair in the ’50s when he was a senator. His brother Robert Kennedy was reportedly brought in to deflect attention from the then US president.
Race / Ethnicity
She had Welsh, English, and Scottish ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Platinum blonde locks
- Beauty mark on her cheek
- Voluptuous figure
- Breathless voice
36-22-36 in or 91.5-56-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU) or 10 (UK)
7.5 (US) or 38 (EU)
Marilyn Monroe has appeared in the TV commercials for –
- Lux Soap
She has also appeared in a print advert campaigns for following brands –
- Mikimoto limited edition legendary pearls
- Pabst beer
- Union Oil Royal Triton
- Glo-Westmore Make-up
- SexyHair’s Get layered Flash Dry Thickening Hairspray
Marilyn’s existing footage has been used in the TV advert for
- J’Adore Dior Parfum
- Chanel No. 5 Parfum
Best Known For
- Being one of the most popular and enduring sex symbols of Hollywood.
- Being one of the original pin-up girls.
- Having starred in successful films such as The Seven Year Itch (1955) and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953).
In 1947, she played Evie in her first-ever drama film Dangerous Years.
First TV Show
In 1953, she made her TV show debut in the CBS comedy series The Jack Benny Program.
Marilyn Monroe preferred doing her workouts in the morning. Just after she had brushed her teeth and washed her face, she would start her workout on the floor just beside her bed. The first exercise was a retro version of a dumbbell fly. She started with arms at the spread-eagled position and raised it to point just above her head. She used a five-pound dumbbell and did 15 repetitions. She followed it up doing the exercise in reverse for another 15 reps.
For the next exercise, she had her arms at 45 degrees from the floor. After that, she moved weights in a circle until she got tired. However, she didn’t enjoy outdoor sports such as tennis, swimming, and golf. But, she was one of the earliest Hollywood celebs to rely on yoga for physical fitness and mental wellness.
When it came to diet, she liked to mix two raw eggs in warm milk for her breakfast.
For the dinner, she used to embroil lamp chops or steak. Monroe used to have four or five raw carrots. She used to sate her cravings with hot fudge sundae from Wil Wright’s ice cream parlor.
Marilyn Monroe Favorite Things
- Actress – Jean Harlow
- Actor – Marlon Brando
- Artist or Painter – Francisco Goya
- Hero – Abraham Lincoln
Marilyn Monroe Facts
- Marilyn holds the distinction of being the first Playboy’s Sweetheart of the Month, which was renamed later as ‘Playmate of the Month’. The particular picture was clicked in 1949 but was bought by Hefner for $500 in 1953 for the feature.
- At the age of 18, she became a Christian Scientist. Over the years, she dabbled in a number of spiritual concepts including Anthroposophy before turning to Judaism in 1956.
- Marilyn was first discovered in late 1944 by photographer David Conover at the Radioplane Munitions Factory. Conover was sent by US army to conduct a morale-boosting photoshoot of female workers.
- She was involved with many charities and was a regular presence at a number of children’s hospitals. The social cause charities she supported included the World Adoption International Fund, the March of Dimes, the Milk Fund for Babies and Toys for Tots.
- Although she had an image of a “dumb blonde”, she loved reading in her free time. At the time of her death, she was reading Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird and Captain Newman MD by Leo Rosten.
- After signing her up in 1950, her agent John Hyde got her two plastic surgeries done – first, he got the soft cartilage at the tip of her nose reshaped and got a chin implant thereafter.
- She was very comfortable with her nudity and used to parade naked among female studio employees such as wardrobe mistresses, hairdressers, make-up artists.
- After Mary Pickford, she was the second woman in the Hollywood to run her own production company, Marilyn Monroe Productions, which she started in 1955 in association with photographer Milton Greene.
- For the only movie (The Prince and the Showgirl) produced by her company, she managed to sneak in a meeting with the writer, Terence Rattigan in New York, who had stopped on his way to Los Angeles to discuss his script with director William Wyler.
- Monroe had a reputation of arriving late and not showing up for her shooting. This led to an increment of $1 million in the budget of Let’s Make Love and added another 28 days to the shooting duration.
- In 1953, the Advertising Association of the West declared her the most advertised girl in the world.
- In 1997, the Empire UK magazine placed her on the 8th spot in the “Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time” list.
- The Premiere magazine declared her the second Greatest Movie Star of all time with British-born actor Cary Grant on the 1st spot.