|Robert Mitchum Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||August 6, 1917|
|Date of Death||July 1, 1997|
Robert Mitchum was an American actor, singer, writer, voice actor, and producer known for his antihero roles and film noir appearances. Regarded by many as one of the finest actors of the Golden Age of Hollywood, his film credits include The Story of G.I. Joe, The Night of the Hunter, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, River of No Return, Ryan’s Daughter, and El Dorado.
Robert Charles Durman Mitchum
He was born on August 6, 1917.
On July 1, 1997, Robert Mitchum died from complications of lung cancer and emphysema at the age of 79 in Santa Barbara, California, United States.
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
Robert Mitchum attended Haaren High School located in Midtown Manhattan, New York but was eventually expelled.
Actor, Singer, Writer, Voice Actor, Producer
- Father – James Thomas Mitchum (A shipyard and railroad worker) (Crushed to death in a railyard accident in Charleston, South Carolina in February 1919)
- Mother – Ann Harriet Gunderson (Linotype operator for the Bridgeport Post)
- Siblings – Julie Mitchum (b. Annette Mitchum) (July 23, 1914 – February 21, 2003) (Older Sister) (Actor), John Mitchum (September 6, 1919 – November 29, 2001) (Younger Brother) (Actor, Musician), Carol Morris (Younger Maternal Half-Sister)
- Others – Thomas Dupree/Dupre “Duke”/Dukes Mitchum (Paternal Grandfather), Ida Elizabeth Barfield (Paternal Grandmother), Gustavus/Gustav Adophus/Adolph/Adolf/Olav Gunderson/Gundersen (Maternal Grandfather), Petrine Marie Schulerud (Maternal Grandmother), Lieutenant Hugh “The Major” Cunningham Morris (Stepfather) (A former Royal Naval Reserve officer), Price Mitchum (Grandson) (Actor), Carrie Mitchum (Granddaughter) (Actor, Producer), Bentley Mitchum (Grandson) (Actor, Writer, Director), Kian (Grandson) (Model)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $10 Million.
6 ft or 183 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Robert Mitchum had dated –
- Joan Rivers
- Maila Nurmi – He once dated Finnish actor Maila Nurmi.
- Anita Ekberg
- Lucille Ball – RUMOR
- Dorothy Spence (1940-1997) – He got married to Dorothy Spence in the year 1940 and they had 3 children – two sons named James Mitchum (b. May 8, 1941) and Christopher Mitchum (b. October 16, 1943) and a daughter named Petrine Day Mitchum (b. March 3, 1954). The duo remained married until his death in 1997.
- Jane Greer (1946) – It was RUMORed that he had an affair with Jane Greer in October 1946. They also worked together in Out of the Past (1947).
- Lila Leeds (1948)
- Ava Gardner (1949) – Robert Mitchum and Ava Gardner had a fling in October 1949. They co-starred in the 1951 historical film noir My Forbidden Past.
- Jean Simmons (1952)
- Marilyn Monroe (1953) – RUMOR
- Gloria Pall (1954)
- Shelley Winters (1954) – He hooked up with actor Shelley Winters in August 1954 and they co-starred in The Night of the Hunter (1955).
- Deborah Kerr (1956)
- Shirley MacLaine (1962-1964) – He was romantically involved with actor, author, and former dancer Shirley MacLaine from 1962 to 1964. They also worked together in the films Two for the Seesaw (1962) and What a Way to Go! (1964).
- Sarah Miles (1970)
Race / Ethnicity
Robert Mitchum was of English, Scottish, Irish, and remote Welsh descent on his father’s side and had Norwegian roots on his maternal side.
Salt and Pepper
- Dimpled chin
- Deep, commanding, yet lively voice
- Known for almost never rehearsing his lines
Robert Mitchum did voiceover work for TV commercials for –
- Oppenheimer Funds (1996-97)
- Beef Council (1990s)
He was born into a Methodist family.
Robert Mitchum Favorite Things
- Film Role – Playing Reverend Harry Powell in The Night of the Hunter (1955)
- Co-star – Deborah Kerr
Source – IMDb
Robert Mitchum Facts
- He played Lt./Capt. Bill Walker in the 1945 war film The Story of G.I. Joe and this performance got him nominated for an Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor”.
- In 1984, Robert Mitchum received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- He received the Golden Globe Cecil B. DeMille Award in 1992.
- He was friends with actor Richard Egan.
- Robert Mitchum was a Republican.
Featured Image by J. Fred Henry Publications / Screenland / Public Domain
He was more than 70 kg. He was at least 75 kg.