Jonathan Edward Bernthal
Washington, D.C., United States
After graduating from high school, he got enrolled at the Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs. Later, he also studied at The School of Moscow Art Theatre in Russia.
He also got admission in Institute for Advanced Theater Training at the American Repertory Theater and graduated with a Master of Fine Arts.
- Father – Eric Lawrence Bernthal (Lawyer)
- Mother – Joan Lurie
- Siblings – Nicholas Bernthal (Brother) (Orthopaedic Surgeon), Thomas Bernthal (Brother) (Former producer for NBC and the founder and CEO of business consulting firm, Kelton Global)
- Others – Murray Bernthal (Paternal Grandfather) (Music Composer), Rose Wartsky (Paternal Grandmother), Hendrik Otto Marx (Maternal Grandfather), Mildred Geraldine Lurie (Maternal Grandmother), Adam Schlesinger (Cousin) (Singer, songwriter)
Jon Bernthal is represented by The Burstein Company.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jon Bernthal has dated –
- Erin Angle (2008-Present) – Jon Bernthal started dating wrestler Erin Angle, who is the niece of famous wrestler Kurt Angle, in 2008. They got married in September 2010 in Maryland. In August 2011, she gave birth to their first son, Henry. Their second son, Billy was born in February 2013. In February 2015, she gave birth to a daughter, Adeline.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Polish ancestry on his father’s side, while on his mother’s side, he has German ancestry.
He is also of Jewish and Russian lineage.
- Muscular physique
- Broken nose
- Long earlobes
- Deep and commanding voice
Jon has been seen in the commercials for –
- pit bull dog for TheMajorityProject.com.
Best Known For
- Being cast as Shane Walsh in the action-thriller TV series, The Walking Dead.
- Playing Frank Castle (a.k.a. The Punisher) in the Netflix superhero action series, Daredevil and later in The Punisher.
In 2002, Jon made his first film appearance in Mary/Mary for his role as Manny.
First TV Show
In 2002, Jon guest appeared in the Malignant episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
Jon adopted a grueling and intense workout regime to prepare for the role of Punisher. He started his workout early in the morning with strength training with a focus on big lifts such as bench presses or squats. These exercises were performed over 5 sets with each set comprising of 3 repetitions of maximum weight possible. His strength training routine also relied on super setting weight lifting moves with bodyweight exercises.
After strength training, he worked on MetCon (also known as metabolic conditioning). The metabolic conditioning involved performing about 5 or 6 full body exercises such as pull-ups or power cleans over as many rounds as possible. These sessions lasted around 20 minutes.
He also had boxing or Brazilian jiu-jitsu workouts scheduled for the afternoon. These workouts along with providing ultimate fat burn, helped him to get in the mindset of his character. He also had weapons training and practicing fights for his various scenes in the TV show.
He complemented his workout regime by following a regimented diet plan. He was very particular about what went into his body and just focused on eating lean meat and vegetables with having small meals throughout the day.
Jon Bernthal Favorite Things
- Ultimate Healthy Meal – Grilled chicken breast with cucumber salad
- Ultimate Decadent Meal – Gluten free pizza
- Wardrobe Item – Shane and Shawn boots
- Biggest Vice – Drinks too much coffee
- Bucket List Destination – Yugoslavian Riviera
Source – Equinox
Jon Bernthal Facts
- While studying at The School of Moscow Art Theatre, he used to play as a catcher for the semi-professional Russian baseball team.
- Along with his brother Nicolas, he has founded not for profit organization, Drops Fill Bucket, which works to raise funds for pressing international and local needs.
- He has broken his nose for more than a dozen times in various accidents, which has given him his trademark crooked nose appearance.
- After he took a blood test, he was diagnosed with Celiac disease, due to which his doctor had advised him to cut gluten from his diet. However, he didn’t give it a try for five years.
- In his high school and college days, he was active in sports.
- He has a pit bull dog.
- He was seen in a short film The Escape (part of The Hire film series) in 2016 which was termed as merely a BMW car promotion.
- While growing up, he got into a lot of fights and even one of his earliest memories was of punching a kid, who was picking on his small brother.
- While studying in college, he used to hang out with kids associated with Irish gangs in Boston. He also used to associate with those supplying with drugs.
- He got into acting by mistake as he had signed up for Intro to Acting instead of signing up for Intro to Theater.
- Join Jon on Twitter and Instagram.