|Joseph Vijay Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||June 22, 1974|
Joseph Vijay Chandrasekhar is one of the best actors in the Tamil film industry. He is one of the highest-paid Tamil actors and popularly known as ilayathalapathy among his fans. At the age of 10, he entered the film industry and did his maiden film Vetri as a child artist. In 1992, he did the lead role in the film Naalaiya Theerpu which was directed by his father S.A. Chandrasekhar and produced by his mother Shoba Chandrasekhar. He has sung more than 30 songs in his films as a playback singer.
Joseph Vijay Chandrasekhar
Ilayathalapathy, Social Worker, Thalapathy
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Initially, he attended Fathima Matriculation Higher Secondary School at Kodambakkam, Chennai.
Post that, he went to Balalok Matriculation Higher Secondary School at Virugambakkam, Chennai. After that, he started going to Loyola College to pursue a degree in Visual Communications. But, he dropped out of college and entered the film industry as he had an interest in acting.
Film actor, Playback singer
- Father – S. A. Chandrasekhar (Director, Producer, and Writer)
- Mother – Shoba Chandrasekhar (Playback Singer, Director, Writer, Carnatic Vocalist, and Producer)
- Siblings – Vidhya (Younger Sister; Died)
He himself is unsigned. But, he has contributed to various films. Most of his songs are labeled by Sony Music Entertainment, Gemini Audio, Eros Music and so on.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Joseph’s name has been linked with –
- Sangeeta Sornalingam (1999-Present) – They got married in 1999. She is a Sri Lankan and interestingly, she is also a fan of the actor. She has a son and a daughter with Vijay named, Jason Sanjay (born in 2000) and Divya Shasha (born in 2005) respectively.
Race / Ethnicity
- Elegant acting
- Powerful screen presence
- Good dancing and singing skills
He has served as a brand ambassador for –
- Indian Premier League (2008) – Chennai Super Kings
- Jos Alukkas (2010) – For the state of Tamil Nadu and Kerala
He has appeared in the following TV commercials –
- Coca-Cola (2002 and 2009)
- Sunfeast (2005)
- Tata Docomo
Joseph Vijay Facts
- He has a significant fan following in China, Japan, UK, and France.
- He initiated a social welfare organization in July 2009. It was named Vijay Makkal Iyakkam. It is responsible for most of his charitable works.
- Vijay entered the film industry as a child artist.
- In 2008, he appeared in a short docudrama named Herova? Zerova?. The video was made to create awareness about child labor and early dropouts in Tamil Nadu. It also highlighted the importance of childhood education.
- In 2017, Vijay was ranked 31st in the Forbes Celebrity 100 list, which is based on the earnings of Indian celebrities. Also, he has been consistently listed under the Forbes Celebrity 100 list from 2012.
- In 2017, Vijay rendered his support to Jallikattu protests in Chennai by joining them anonymously, hiding his face with a hanky.
- His sister Vidhya passed away when she was 2 years old. Later, he named his production house in her memory as V.V (Vidhya-Vijay) Productions.
- Some of Vijay’s film works like Nanban was screened at the prestigious Melbourne International Film Festival Australia, Kaavalan at Shanghai International Film Festival China, Mersal at Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival South Korea and Hainan International Film Festival China, and Sarkar at Grand Rex France.
- In 2018, he distributed INR 70 lakh worth of relief materials through his fan club to the flood-affected areas in Kerala. Also, he deposited INR 4.5 lakhs in each of the VMI head’s bank account to provide relief funds for the Gaja cyclone affected areas in Tamil Nadu.
- In 2021, Thalapathy Vijay filed a civil lawsuit against 11 people (which included his father and mother) to avoid them using his name for gathering the public or to hold any meetings.
Featured Image by Vikneshwaran M / Twitter