|Julie Chen Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 6, 1970|
|Spouse||Leslie Roy Moonves|
Julie Chen is an American television personality, news anchor, and producer. She is best known for being the longest-serving host of any country’s version of the show, Big Brother, ever since the show’s debut in 2000 and also for co-hosting CBS daytime show The Talk for 8 seasons and co-anchoring The Early Show on CBS.
Julie Suzanne Chen
Chenbot, Julie Chen-Moonves
Queens, New York City, New York, United States
Julie divides her time between New York and Los Angeles.
Julie completed her high school education from a school in the Whitestone area of Queens. In 1987, she graduated from St. Francis Preparatory School. She later attended the University of Southern California where she majored in broadcast journalism and English and graduated from the university in 1991.
Presenter, Anchor, Producer
- Father – David Y. Chen
- Mother – Wan Ling Chen
- Siblings – Gladys Chen (Older Sister), Victoria Chen (Older Sister)
- Others – Lou Gaw Tong (Grandfather), Adam Moonves (Step-Son) (Screenwriter), Michael Moonves (Step-Son), Sara Moonves (Step-Daughter) (Actress)
Julie Chen is represented by CBS.
5 ft 4½ in or 164 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Julie has dated –
- Gary Donahue (1992-2002) – Julie first met Gary in September 1991 when she became a news assistant for ABC News in Los Angeles. Gary was a news editor and 28 years senior to her. In an interview, Julie has revealed that she had a crush on him ever since she joined the network but she never thought that Gary would reciprocate. Eventually, they began dating in February 1992 and were in a long-term relationship before finally parting ways in 2002.
- Leslie Roy Moonves (2003-Present) – Julie began dating the president and chief executive officer of CBS Television, Leslie Moonves in 2003, while he was still married to Nancy Wiesenfeld Moonves. On December 23, 2004, the couple got married after Leslie got a court to grant an early divorce on December 10, 2004. Their marriage was held in a private ceremony. In 2009, the couple welcomed their first child together, a son named Charlie.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Chinese descent.
- Protruding cheekbones
- Thin eyebrows
- Small eyes
Best Known For
- Being the longest-serving host of any country’s version of the show, Big Brother, since 2000
- Being the co-host and moderator of the CBS daytime show, The Talk, for 8 seasons
- Having co-anchored The Early Show on CBS
First TV Show
Julie made her first TV show appearance on the show, CBS This Morning, in 1992.
Julie stays in shape by doing yoga every day and is a devout Yogini. Her typical day starts with it and she also indulges herself in Pilates. She then follows traction for 30 minutes which promotes spinal and neck health. Her workout session is generally 90 minutes long.
In an interview, she stated that she drinks a custom blend of Chinese herbs every morning for her digestive health and mental balance.
Julie Chen’s Favorite Things
- Childhood Crushes – Shaun Cassidy, Rick Springfield
Source – IMDb
Julie Chen’s Facts
- Julie’s parents were Chinese immigrants.
- While still in college, she got an internship with CBS Morning News along with Emmy-winning reality television producer, Andy Cohen. Her job was to answer phones and copy faxes for distribution.
- In 1991, she worked as a desk assistant for the ABC NewsOne for one season.
- She was later promoted to work as a producer for the next 3 seasons.
- After working as the anchor for WDTN-TV (1995-1997), she also anchored for CBS Morning News, CBS This Morning, and The Early Show.
- While she was in Dayton, Ohio, working for WDTN-TV, Julie underwent blepharoplasty which is a surgical procedure to make her eyes look larger. Later, in 2013, she revealed that the reason behind the surgery was the pressure from her previous news director and a high-profile agent.
- Apart from English, she can also speak Mandarin Chinese.
- Julie holds the record of being the longest-serving host of any country’s version of the show Big Brother. She had been the host of the CBS reality television program ever since its debut in July 2000.
- She has hosted the Big Brother show for over 2 decades.
- Julie was heavily criticized during her first year as the host of the show and her interaction with the studio audience was claimed to be scripted and wooden. She was given the name of ‘Chenbot’.
Featured Image by celebrityabc / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0