Jussie Langston Mikha Smollett
Jussie, J-boogie, Juicebox, Smitty
Santa Rosa, California, United States
Jussie Smollett went to three different high schools in just his senior year. These schools included Calabasas High School and Malibu High School.
When he eventually bagged a role in the production of Damn Yankees, he decided to drop out of school.
Actor, singer, songwriter, producer
- Father – Joel Smollett
- Mother – Janet Smollett
- Siblings – Jake Smollett (Younger Brother) (Actor), Jocqui Smollett (Brother) (TV Personality), Jojo Smollett (Brother) (TV Personality), Jurnee Smollett-Bell (Younger Sister) (Actress), Jazz Smollett (Older Sister) (TV Personality)
- Others – John Harris (Maternal Grandfather), Grace Smith (Maternal Grandmother)
- In November 2015, he signed up with Creative Artists Agency for his acting related contracts.
- The United Talent Agency looks after his music touring.
- Vincent Cirrincione of Vincent Cirrincione Associates continues to manage him.
R&B, pop, hip-hop
6 ft 1 in or 185 cm
79 kg or 174 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Jussie Smollett has dated
- Raven Symone (2007-2011) – in 2007, Jussie Smollett started going out with actress and singer Raven Symone, who is well known for playing the lead role in TV series, That’s So Raven. She was reportedly pregnant with his child. However, her representative shot down such rumors. After dating for nearly 4 years, they decided to go separate ways on amicable terms.
- Michael Sam (2015) – The American tabloids were linking Smollett with NFL star Michael Sam in September 2015 after they posted a couple of selfies on their social media accounts within a space of days. However, a month later, Jussie came out swinging to squash these dating rumors.
- Anthony Hemingway (2016) – In the early months of 2016, Jussie was reported to be going out with director Anthony Hemingway. They had first met on the set of his 2012 movie, The Skinny. Anthony later went on to direct his sister Jurnee in True Blood and it was Jurnee who was credited for setting them up. Some tabloids even claimed that they had been dating on and off for nearly four years. Even when Anthony went out with one of Tinashe’s dancers for a brief time, he still had Smollett in his heart.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Jewish ancestry. The family on his father’s side had origins back in Poland and Russia.
On his mother’s side, he has African American ancestry.
In his 2016 interview with Out Magazine, he labeled himself as a gay man.
However, in his later interviews, he has claimed that he is sexually fluid and openness to love is more important than sexual orientation.
- Curly hair
- Often has a neatly trimmed beard
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 43 in or 109 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm
- Waist – 33 in or 84 cm
In 2015, Jussie got in his onscreen character of Jamal Lyon for a TV commercial for Pepsi.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of musician Jamal Lyon in the musical drama TV series, Empire.
- Having played the role of Ricks in the sci-fi horror movie, Alien: Covenant.
- Having played the lead role in the romantic comedy movie, The Skinny, which leaned heavily on the LGBT theme.
As a Singer
In 2012, he released his first EP album, The Poisoned Hearts Club.
In 1992, he made this theatrical film debut in a minor role in the sports comedy flick, The Mighty Ducks.
First TV Show
In 1993, Jussie Smollett made his first TV show appearance in the second episode of the romantic drama miniseries, Queen. He was just 11 years old at that time.
Jussie Smollett Facts
- For 5 years, he worked as a staffer at Artists for a New South Africa. He had to take daily two-hour commute and was responsible for coordinating donations for auctions that raised money for the group’s AIDS work.
- He has been a vocal critic of police brutality. He went on to speak on the steps of the Capitol as part of the March 2 Justice.
- He struggled to fit in while studying in school due to his racial background and due to his sexuality.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by iDominick / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0