|Kamaru Usman Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||May 11, 1987|
Kamaru Usman is a Nigerian-American professional mixed martial artist, former freestyle wrestler, and graduated folkstyle wrestler who began competing in the welterweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), in 2015. As of May 2021, he had won 5 UFC Bonus Awards – ‘Performance of the Night’ (four times) and ‘Fight of the Night’ (once). He had started his professional career in 2011, competing in The Ultimate Fighter. He holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Marty, Kamaru, The Nigerian Nightmare
Auchi, Edo, Nigeria
Delray Beach, Palm Beach County, Florida, United States
He holds dual nationality.
Kamaru had attended the Bowie High School, a secondary school in Arlington, Texas. After his high school graduation, he had joined William Penn University, a private university in Oskaloosa, Iowa.
After a year there, he had taken a transfer to The University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK), a public University in Kearney, Nebraska.
Professional Mixed Martial Artist, Freestyle Wrestler (Retired), Graduated Folkstyle Wrestler
- Father – Muhammed Nasiru Usman (Pharmacist, Former Major in the Nigerian Army)
- Mother – His mother was a teacher.
- Siblings – Kashetu Usman (Brother), Mohammed Usman (Brother) (Mixed Martial Artist). He also has a sister.
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
6 ft or 183 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kamaru has dated –
- Eleslie Dietzsch (2012-Present) – Kamaru had started dating a Brazilian woman named Eleslie Dietzsch in 2012 and they got married later. They have a daughter together named Samirah (b. 2014).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Nigerian descent.
- Toned physique
- Affable smile
- Often sports a light stubble
Kamaru has been sponsored by –
- Gorilla Wear
- Gym King
- Love Hemp UK
Kamaru Usman Facts
- Born and brought up in Nigeria, Kamaru and his family had moved to the United States, when he was 8 years old. The family had first settled in Dallas, Texas.
- He had started wrestling in his sophomore year in high school. As his wrestling coach was unable to pronounce his first name, Kamarudeen, he had given him the nickname ‘Marty’ which stuck with him during his amateur wrestling career. He had amassed a stellar 53–3 win-loss record in high school wrestling and had also stood 3rd at the Texas state championships.
- In 2007, he was a qualifier for a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) tournament. However, he was unable to attend the tournament due to a snowstorm. The fact that half of his team and his head coach had left early for the tournament without him had influenced him to leave William Penn University.
- A year later, he had joined The University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK) and had helped the Nebraska–Kearney Lopers win their first-ever team title in 2008. He had placed in the top 3 in the United States in all the 3 years that he had attended the university and was a two-time national finalist.
- In 2010, he had become the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) Division II national champion, finishing the season with a 44–1 win-loss record including 30 straight wins. He had won the ‘Bronze’ medal in 2008 and the ‘Silver’ medal in 2009.
Featured Image by Kamaru Usman / Instagram