|Kate Nash Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||July 6, 1987|
Kate Nash is an English singer, instrumentalist, composer, lyricist, and actress. She started out in 2005 when she uploaded several of her videos on MySpace. Eventually, she found a manager, and producers for her music, and released her first single titled Caroline’s a victim via Moshi Moshi Records in 2007. This brought her into the limelight, and she shot to overnight fame with the hit single Foundations in the same year. Made of Bricks was her first album, which topped the charts in the UK; and led to her winning the ‘Best British Female Artist’ award at the 2008 Brit Awards. This album earned her various accolades like the ASCAP Vanguard Award and the Q Award for “Breakthrough Artist”. Kate’s 2nd album, My Best Friend Is You, released in 2010, made into the top 10 in UK and Germany.
In April 2011, she launched her own label, Have 10p Records. She self-released her 3rd album, Girl Talk, in 2013. Her 4th album, Yesterday Was Forever was also self-released in 2018. Apart from singing, Nash has also acted in films and TV shows. She has featured in films like Greetings from Tim Buckley, Powder Room, and Syrup. She is also popular for her role as Rhonda Richardson in the Netflix series GLOW. In 2018, a documentary film titled Kate Nash: Underestimate the Girl was premiered. The film tracks Kate’s life as she worked on her 4th album. Kate has been recognized by the Elle Style Awards, the NME Awards, and the Vodafone Live Music Awards.
Kate Marie Nash
Harrow, London, England, United Kingdom
Kate studied at St. John Fisher School and St. Joan Of Arc Catholic School; and later graduated from the BRIT School. Post her graduation, she wanted to pursue acting. But, several drama institutes and colleges rejected her.
Singer, Actress, Lyricist, Composer
- Father – Steve Nash
- Mother – Marie Nash (Nurse)
- Siblings – Ed Nash (Brother), Clare Nash (Sister), Helen Nash (Sister)
She is represented by –
- Joey Swarbrick, General Manager, Woof Music
- Alexandra Baker, PR (United States), Hi Rise PR
- Sinead Mills, PR (United Kingdom), Practise Music
- Courtney Blackman, Fashion PR, Forward PR
- Ben Coles, Booking Agent (Europe, United Kingdom), Creative Artists Agency
- Brian Greenbaum, Booking Agent (North America), Creative Artists Agency
Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Garage Punk, Alternative Rock
Vocals, Keyboard, Guitar, Drums, Synth, Bass
- Dine Alone Records (Canada)
- Fiction Records/Universal
- Have 10p Records
- Moshi Moshi Records
- Warner Chappell Music
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Kate has dated –
- Ryan Jarman (2007–2012) – Kate used to be in a relationship with fellow British musician Ryan Jarman. They met while shooting an episode of Later… with Jools Holland in May 2007. They later started dating and split in March 2012, partly due to Ryan’s continued struggles with anorexia and psychological issues.
- Zac Carper (2015) – Kate was rumored to be dating singer Zac Carper in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
She has English ancestry on her father’s side and Irish ancestry on her mother’s side.
She often tends to dye her hair ‘dark brown’.
- Noticeable London accent
- Red Hair
She has endorsed the following brands –
- Hourglass Cosmetics
- Judith ~ Rose Cut Clothing
Best Known For
- Releasing music albums like Made of Bricks, My Best Friend Is You, and Yesterday Was Forever
- Portraying the role of Rhonda Richardson on the Netflix series, GLOW
She released her first album titled Made of Bricks in 2007 and its hit single Foundations, became an instant hit. The album topped the charts in the UK, and helped her win ‘Best British Female Artist’ at the 2008 Brit Awards.
Kate made her theatrical film debut in the 2012 film Greetings from Tim Buckley as Carol.
First TV Show
She made her TV show debut as “Herself” on Later… With Jools Holland in May 2007.
Kate used to be a vegetarian, but has now turned to a completely vegan diet. Veganism and an aggressive exercise routine helped her to get in shape for the Netflix series Glow.
Kate Nash Favorite Things
- Food – Ice Cream
- Artist – Regina Spektor
- Visual Artist – Salvador Dali
- Filmmaker – Tim Burton
- Poet – Sylvia Plath
- Chef – Jamie Oliver
- Books – Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes, Ministry of Food by Jamie Oliver
- Venue To Perform – Le Cigale, Shepherds Bush Empire, Coachella Festival
- Songs To Perform – She Rules, Sister, Underestimate the Girl
- Musicians – Bjork, Patti Smith
- Songs – Hurt So Good by Susan Cadogan, Still Together by Mac DeMarco, Fantasy by Mariah Carey, Purple Rain by Prince, Space Oddity by David Bowie, Life’s a Gas by T. Rex
- TV Shows – The Walking Dead, As Told by Ginger, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Kate Nash Facts
- She is allergic to wheat and lactose.
- Kate has 2 dogs named Max and Molly.
- She loves being around her dogs, going to the beach, and walking in the woods.
- Kate staunchly stands behind LGBT rights and equality. She has performed at gay pride parades like Manchester Pride.
- Kate worked for fashion retailer River Island and restaurant chain Nando’s before her career had started.
- She broke her foot in 2005, which left her bed-ridden. It was during this time that she wrote her first song.
- In the past, she suffered from tachycardia, which caused her chest pains and palpitations. At the age of 18, she underwent life-saving surgery. This experience became the inspiration behind her 2012 song Death Proof.
- In 2009, Kate used MySpace, Facebook, and eBay to help generate funds for a five-year-old named Tilly; who had lost her hands to meningococcal disease.
- In 2011, during the England riots, Kate volunteered and set up her own fund to help those made homeless in Tottenham.
- She also lent strident support to Russian feminist band P*ssy Riot when they were under trial in Russia. She joined other musicians and sent a letter to Russian President Vladimir Putin demanding their release, emphasizing her values that freedom of speech in music has to be respected.
- Post her 2nd album, she used her influence to fight gender perceptions in the music industry. She launched “Rock ‘N’ Roll for Girls After School Music Club” with an aim to inspire the younger generation of female musicians. Kate has also been appointed Global Ambassador of the Because I am a Girl initiative by Plan USA. Their objective is to empower girls in developing countries.
- She is a founding member of the Featured Artists’ Coalition. The group came into existence in 2009; with an aim to give music artists a greater say in the music industry, including in areas such as digital deals and copyright law.
- Visit her official website @ katenash.com.
Featured Image by Bobo Boom / Flickr / CC BY-2.0