|Kei Nishikori Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||December 29, 1989|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Kei Nishikori is a Japanese professional tennis player who achieved his singles ranking of world No. 4 in March 2015 and has won several tournaments such as Summer Olympics and US Open. As of December 2022, he is the second male Japanese player to have been ranked in the top 5 in singles. During the course of his career, he has participated in a variety of tournaments such as Indianapolis Tennis Championship, Wimbledon Championship, Aegon Championship, U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championship, BNP Paribas Masters, Brisbane International, Australian Open, Madrid Open, and many more. He has been sponsored by brands like Nissin Foods, Fast Retailing, TAG Heuer, LVMH Moët Hennessy, and Cup Noodles.
Matsue, Shimane, Japan
Bradenton, Florida, United States
Kei finished his high school studies at Aomori-Yamada High School.
Professional Tennis Player
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
- Father – Kiyoshi (Engineer)
- Mother – Eri (Piano Teacher)
- Siblings – Reina (Older Sister) (College Graduate; Works in Tokyo)
Nishikori is signed with IMG Academy.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kei Nishikori dated-
- Honami Tsuboi – In the past, Nishikori had a fling with a former gymnast from Japan, Honami Tsuboi.
- Mai Yamauchi – In December 2020, he tied the knot with his long-term girlfriend Mai Yamauchi.
Race / Ethnicity
Nishikori has been sponsored by numerous companies including Wilson, Uniqlo, Adidas, Nissin Foods, TAG Heuer, Fast Retailing, LVMH Moet Hennessy, Jaguar, Jaccs Co., WOWOW, AirWeave, EA Games, Delta Air Lines, etc.
He also has appeared in a TV commercial for Morinaga & Company’s drink Weider in Jelly.
Best Known For
Being one of the absolute best Japanese players who have ever played professional tennis. He is also known for reaching the finals at the US Open in 2014 in which he lost to the Croatian international Marin Cilic in three straight sets (3-6, 3-6, 3-6).
First TV Show
Other than the tennis matches themselves, Nishikori has appeared in the TV series documentary Jonetsu tairiku (2012) as himself.
First Professional Tennis Match
Nishikori debuted at Indianapolis Tennis Championship in 2007 in a match against Alejandro Falla which he won.
Nishikori had his debut in Davis Cup in April 2008 when in the semifinals, Japan faced India.
Grand Slam Debut
Kei had his debut in a Grand Slam Tournament in 2008 when he competed during the 2008 Wimbledon. Eventually, he lost to Marc Gicquel in the opening round of the tournament.
Kei has been trained by coaches Dante Bottini and Michael Chang.
Kei Nishikori Favorite Things
- Surface – Clay, Hard
Source – ATPWorldTour.com
Kei Nishikori Facts
- Nishikori started playing tennis when he was five.
- In 2001, Kei was the winner of the All Japan Tennis Championships for Kids.
- He joined IMG Academy in Florida at the age of 14. When Kei arrived in Florida, he didn’t know English.
- In 2011, Kei played in a match against Michael Chang (who started coaching Kei in 2014) in Tokyo, Japan. The money gathered during the match was used for the people who were the victims of an earthquake.
- Nishikori has his own iPhone application which you can see on keisapp.com.
- In July 2006, Kei was ranked No. 7 on the world’s junior ATP list.
- Nishikori won his first ATP title at the 2008 Delray Beach tournament.
- On March 25, 2009, Kei was selected as the 2008 ATP Newcomer of the Year. He became the first Asian to achieve such an award.
- He competed for Japan at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
- Throughout his career, Kei’s biggest rivals have been Milos Raonic, David Ferrer, and Marin Cilic.
- In May 2016, he was ranked #6 in ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) World ranking.