Matsue, Shimane, Japan
Bradenton, Florida, United States
Kei finished his high school studies at Aomori-Yamada High School.
Professional Tennis Player
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
- Father – Kiyoshi (Engineer)
- Mother – Eri (Piano Teacher)
- Siblings – Reina (Older Sister) (College Graduate; Works in Tokyo)
Nishikori is signed with IMG Academy.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kei Nishikori dated-
- Honami Tsuboi – In the past, Nishikori had fling with former gymnast from Japan, Honami Tsuboi.
Race / Ethnicity
- Black hair and black eyes
- Small frame (5 ft 10 in approx)
- Soft hair
Nishikori has been sponsored by numerous companies including Wilson, Uniqlo, Adidas, Nissin Foods, TAG Heuer, Fast Retailing, LVMH Moet Hennessy, Jaguar, Jaccs Co., WOWOW, AirWeave, EA Games, Delta Air Lines, etc.
He also has appeared in a TV commercial for Morinaga & Company’s drink Weider in Jelly.
Best Known For
Being one of the absolute best Japanese players who have ever played professional tennis. He is also known for reaching the finals at the US Open in 2014 in which he lost to the Croatian international Marin Cilic in three straight sets (3-6, 3-6, 3-6).
First TV Show
Other tennis matches itself, Nishikori has appeared in the TV series documentary Jonetsu tairiku (2012) as himself.
First Professional Tennis Match
Nishikori debuted at Indianapolis Tennis Championship in 2007 in a match against Alejandro Falla which he won.
Nishikori had his debut in Davis Cup in April 2008 when in the semifinals, Japan faced India.
Grand Slam Debut
Kei had his debut in a Grand Slam Tournament in 2008 when he competed during the 2008 Wimbledon. Eventually, he lost to Marc Gicquel in the opening round of the tournament.
First Grand Slam Singles Wins
You can check Kei’s most recent titles on ATP World Tour.
Kei has been trained by coaches Dante Bottini and Michael Chang.
Kei Nishikori Favorite Things
- Surface – Clay, Hard
Source – ATPWorldTour.com
Kei Nishikori Facts
- Nishikori started playing tennis when he was five.
- In 2001, Kei was the winner of the All Japan Tennis Championships for Kids.
- He joined IMG Academy in Florida at the age of 14. When Kei arrived in Florida, he didn’t know English.
- In 2011, Kei played in a match against Michael Chang (who started coaching Kei in 2014) in Tokyo, Japan. The money gathered during the match was used for the people who were the victims of an earthquake.
- Nishikori has his own iPhone application which you can see on keisapp.com.
- In July 2006, Kei was ranked No. 7 on the world’s junior ATP list.
- Nishikori won his first ATP title at the 2008 Delray Beach tournament.
- On March 25, 2009, Kei was selected as the 2008 ATP Newcomer of the Year. He became the first Asian to achieve such an award.
- He competed for Japan at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and 2012 Olympic Games in London.
- Throughout his career, Kei’s biggest rivals have been Milos Raonic, David Ferrer, and Marin Cilic.
- In May 2016, he was ranked #6 in ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) World ranking.