|Kevin Kwan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||November 8, 1973|
Kevin Kwan is a Singaporean born American author who has earned his fame with his best-selling novel Crazy Rich Asians (2013). He is also noted for writing 2 other popular novels titled China Rich Girlfriend (2015) and Rich People Problems (2017). He is also a well-known creative consultant who has worked for many celebrities like Elizabeth Taylor and Oprah Winfrey. The movie Crazy Rich Asians (2018) was an adaptation of his self-titled novel that was published in 2013. Kevin was born into a well-known wealthy family and that is where he derived his first 3 novels from. He is also well-known for his photo-blogging on Instagram and has amassed a huge fan base with more than 100k followers on it.
Kevin attended the Anglo-Chinese School in Singapore. After that, he moved to Clear Lake, Texas, in the United States and started studying at Clear Lake High School. He completed his studies from there at the age of 16.
Later, Kevin graduated with a major in Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies from the University of Houston-Clear Lake. Then, he moved to Manhattan to attain a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography from Parsons School of Design.
- Father – Samuel Kwan (Engineer)
- Mother – Elizabeth Kwan (Pianist)
- Siblings – Kendall Kwan (Older Brother), Kerry Kwan (Older Brother)
- Others – Oh Sian Guan (Great Grandfather) (Founding Director Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation), Dr. Arthur Kwan Pah Chien (Paternal Grandfather) (Ophthalmologist), Rev. Paul Hang Sing Hon (Founder of the Hinghwa Methodist Church), Nancy Kwan (Relative) (Actress), Egan Oh (Paternal Grandmother)
Kevin is represented by –
- Alexandra Machinist of ICM Partners
- Curtis Brown (United Kingdom)
- Peter Nichols of Lichter Grossman Nichols Adler & Feldman (Legal Representative)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kevin prefers to keep his dating life out of the spotlight.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Chinese ancestry.
He has a goatee.
Kevin has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
- Writing New York Times Bestselling books Rich People Problems (2017), Crazy Rich Asians (2013)
- Winning a ‘National Bestseller’ for his novel China Rich Girlfriend (2015)
- Being a creative consultant for several celebrities such as Gore Vidal, Larry McMurtry, Elizabeth Taylor, and Oprah Winfrey
Kevin made his theatrical film debut in a cameo appearance as a texting author in Crazy Rich Asians in 2018.
First TV Show
Kevin made his debut TV show appearance in Made in Hollywood in August 2018.
Kevin Kwan Favorite Things
- Authors – Edna St. Vincent Millay, Langston Hughes, Herman Melville, Enid Blyton
- Book To Read Growing Up – Tin Tin, Asterix
- Food – Noodles
- Place For Local Food – Newton Hawker Centre, Singapore
- Character To Write About – Eddie Cheng
- Social Satires – Julian Fellowes’s Snobs (2004), Edith Wharton’s The Custom of the Country (1913), Evelyn Waugh’s Vile Bodies (1930), Dominick Dunne’s People Like Us (1988), Anthony Trollope’s Doctor Thorne (1858), Diksha Basu’s The Windfall (2017)
On August 22, 2018, the Singaporean Ministry of Defence declared him as a wanted man for not having registered for ‘National Service’ in 1990 and for leaving the country without an exit permit to reside abroad. He was also held accountable for not acknowledging the notices that were sent to his address abroad. He is considered liable to a hefty fine of up to $10,000 and/or being imprisoned for 3 years under the ‘Enlistment Act’ if convicted.
Kevin Kwan Facts
- He was born into a very well-to-do family and was raised by his grandparents in Bukit Timah, Singapore. At the age of 11, his mother and father shifted the family to Texas. It is said, that the reason why they did so, was to avoid being scrutinized by the people of Singapore.
- His father Samuel worked as an engineer, whereas his mother Elizabeth was a well-known pianist. Samuel is also a distant cousin of Hong Kongese-American actress Nancy Kwan.
- He was either in 10th or 11th grade when he started to realize that he was really good at writing.
- Kevin’s great-grandfather Oh Sian Guan was one of the founding directors of the Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation, which today stands as one of the oldest banks in Singapore. His paternal grandfather Arthur Kwan Pah Chien was a doctor, who was a certified ophthalmologist. Arthur was Singapore’s first doctor to be trained abroad and was also knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for helping the poor.
- Growing up, he enjoyed reading the series of Adventures of Tin Tin and Asterix. He also enjoyed riding his bicycle around with his friends in Texas.
- In high school, he did not focus much on his studies and wanted to party all the time.
- Prior to establishing his own creative studio in the year 2000, he worked at American artist and director Andy Warhol’s M&Co.
- Kwan’s debut novel Crazy Rich Asians (2013) was subsequently based on his childhood memories of the time he spent with his grandparents.
- Apart from being a well-known author, he also produced well-perceived visual books for stars such as Gore Vidal, Larry McMurtry, Elizabeth Taylor, and Oprah Winfrey. His creative studio also has a long list of distinguished clients such as Ted.com and The New York Times.
- In 2010, Kwan lost his father after he had been diagnosed with cancer in 2009. Sometime prior to his father’s death, Kwan took an 18-month break in order to be able to take care of his father. After that, Kevin took to writing as he felt it be rather therapeutic and that is how his debut book Crazy Rich Asians originated.
- In 2014, he was placed on The Hollywood Reporter‘s list for ‘Hollywood’s Most Powerful Authors: 5 Writers to Watch’.
- One of Kwan’s family friends had a pool swarming with baby sharks right in the middle of their living room.
- Over 2 decades ago, he wrote a poem titled Singapore Bible Study. Chapter two of Crazy Rich Asians was based upon it.
- He enjoys going snorkeling, hiking, and kayaking whenever he can.
- Kevin has a huge collection of every colored short sleeve v-neck t-shirt from James Perse.
- His go-to shower gel is the Carthusia Via Camerelle body wash.
- He has a distinct passion for reading and has every issue that was published by Vanity Fair since 1985.
- In 2018, Kwan had been writing a story for a TV show that was to be filmed in Hong Kong.
- His go-to-meal is noodles and can be often read in his novels.
- Kwan’s choice of cars is the 1970’s Toyota’s Land Cruisers.
- American journalist and novelist Joan Didion influenced his poetry writing.
- His novel Crazy Rich Asians inspired the release of the million dollars eponymous film that was released in 2018.
- Visit his official site @ kevinkwanbooks.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Featured Image by Kevin Kwan / Instagram