|Kevin Richardson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||October 8, 1974|
Kevin Richardson is a South African zookeeper, YouTuber, wildlife conservationist, and wildlife sanctuary owner who primarily works for the protection and conservation of African lions, black leopards, and spotted hyenas. He owns and operates the ‘Kevin Richardson Wildlife Sanctuary’ at the Welgedacht Private Game Reserve near Pretoria. Kevin has been featured in several wildlife documentaries such as Dangerous Companions (2005) and In Search of a Legend. He has also produced numerous documentaries and short-films including White Lion: Home is a Journey (2010), Lights, Camera, Lions! (2010), and African Safari 3D (2013). In September 2009, he had released his debut book titled Part of the Pride: My Life Among the Big Cats of Africa.
Kevin Rene Richardson
The Lion Whisperer
Nightingale Clinic, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Zookeeper, YouTuber, Wildlife Conservationist, Wildlife Sanctuary Owner
- Father – Peter Richardson (Pharma Executive) (d. 1987)
- Mother – Patricia Richardson (Banking Executive)
- Siblings – He has an older brother and 2 older sisters (twins).
He is represented by Edwina Thring, Booking Agent (Media, Filming, Business Inquiries), Wild Thring Media, London, England, United Kingdom.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kevin has dated –
- Mandy Richardson (2007–Present) – Kevin got married to his long-term partner Mandy Richardson on December 16, 2007.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent on his father’s side.
- Slender frame
- Short-cropped, spiked hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a light stubble
Kevin has served as the brand ambassador for –
- Mercedes-Benz South Africa
- Wild Coolers
Kevin Richardson Facts
- He has made it a point to never allow guests at his wildlife sanctuary to go on ‘lion walks’ with him, unlike other sanctuaries and game reserves. He had explained in an interview that although his lions behave well with him, there always remains a chance that they do not take well to new arrivals in their habitat which could lead to terrible consequences.
- Kevin has been a staunch and vocal opponent of the practice of ‘canned hunting’ which allows the hunting of lions within an enclosed area. The practice makes it very easy for game hunters to kill lions and has been a key factor in the constantly-falling population of lions in Africa. To prevent the situation from worsening, he has maintained a ‘no breeding policy at his sanctuary to reduce the chance of his lions being bought and sold for ‘canned hunting’.
- He has often talked about the dangers of his work as he has suffered several injuries during his career. And, although he loves his career path, he has often dissuaded youngsters from following in his footsteps. He has contended that it has taken him years of dedication and sacrifice to develop relationships with animals who were cubs when he had started out and that his job is much different from zoologists or trainers who work with animals whom they have not known forever.
- He runs a YouTube channel titled The Lion Whisperer through which he raises awareness about wildlife conservation and the prevalent threats to animals in Africa.
Featured Image by Kevin Richardson / Instagram