|Khandi Alexander Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||September 4, 1957|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Khandi Alexander is an American dancer, choreographer, and actress who began her journey in the entertainment industry as a choreographer and had made a name for herself by choreographing Whitney Houston‘s world tour from 1988 to 1992. In the early 1990s, she switched focus towards acting and has acted in numerous films and TV series since then. She has appeared in films such as What’s Love Got to Do with It (1993), Sugar Hill (1994), There’s Something About Mary (1998), and Perfect Strangers (2004). Khandi has acted in numerous long-running drama TV series as well with roles such as Catherine Duke in NewsRadio (1995-1998), Jackie Robbins in ER (1995-2001), Dr. Alexx Woods in CSI: Miami (2002-2009), LaDonna Batiste-Williams in Treme (2010 to 2013), and Maya Lewis in Scandal (2013-2018). For her work in Scandal, she was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for ‘Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series’ in 2015.
Harriet Rene Alexander
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
New York, United States
Khandi, after her high school graduation, had attended the Queensborough Community College in New York. Her skills as a dancer and choreographer had also helped her earn a full scholarship to the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater School. To pursue her dreams of becoming a successful actress, she had also enrolled at the Stella Adler Studio of Acting.
Dancer, Choreographer, Actress
- Father – Henry Roland Alexander (Construction Company Owner)
- Mother – Alverina Yavonna (Opera and Jazz Singer)
- Others – William Henry Alexander, Jr. (Paternal Grandfather), Mary Ellen Brown (Paternal Grandmother), Joshua Pinckney Masters, Jr. (Maternal Grandfather), Willa Lee (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and White)
She is of African-American, English, and Scottish descent.
- Petite frame
- Straight, shoulder-length hair
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
Khandi Alexander Facts
- Born in Jacksonville, Florida, Khandi’s family moved to Queens, New York when she was very young. She was raised there and completed her education from institutions in that state.
- Other than her film and TV roles, she has also featured in several plays such as Chicago, Dancin’, Color of Blue, and Dreamgirls.
- She had appeared as a dancer in the music video of Natalie Cole’s 1988 song Pink Cadillac.
- In 2001, she won the ‘Best Actress’ award at the Black Reel Awards for her portrayal of the character of Denise Francine ‘Fran’ Boyd in the HBO drama TV miniseries The Corner. In 2011, she won the ‘Best Performance – Drama’ award at the Vision Awards for her portrayal of the character of LaDonna Batiste-Williams in the drama TV series Treme.
- She won the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) Image Award in 2005 for her work in CSI: Miami in the category of ‘Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series’ and in 2015 for her work in Scandal in the category of ‘Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series’.
Featured Image by Khandi Alexander / Instagram