|Lars von Trier Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||April 30, 1956|
Lars von Trier is a highly-acclaimed Danish film director, screenwriter, and producer whose work has won him more than 100 awards. His filmography consists of The Orchid Gardener, Antichrist, Images of Liberation, Europa, To Each His Own Cinema, The Element of Crime, Epidemic, Breaking the Waves, Dogville, Dear Wendy, The Boss of It All, Manderlay, Nymphomaniac, The Last Detail, Dimension, The Five Obstructions, and Melancholia. Moreover, he is the founder and shareholder of the Danish film production company Zentropa Films.
Lars von Trier
Kongens Lyngby, Copngagen, Denmark
Lars von Trier attended the University of Copenhagen and studied film theory. He also studied film direction at the National Film School of Denmark.
Director, Screenwriter, Producer
- Father – Fritz Michael Hartmann (1909-2000) (the head of Denmark’s Ministry of Social Affairs and a World War II resistance fighter)
- Mother – Inger Høst
- Others – Rudolph Puggard/Puggaard Hartmann (Paternal Grandfather), Michaela Hammerich (Paternal Grandmother), Harald Høst (Maternal Grandfather), Karen Gulstad (Maternal Grandmother), Ulf Trier (Stepfather)
Lars von Trier has been repped by Zentropa, Production Company, Denmark.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lars von Trier has dated –
- Cæcilia Holbek (1987-1995) – He was married to Cæcilia Holbek between 1987 and 1995 and they have 2 children.
- Bente Frøge (1997-2015) – In 1997, he married Bente Frøge and they parent 2 children. The duo divorced in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
Lars von Trier is of Danish, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Austrian, and Belgian descent.
Salt and Pepper
Often makes trilogies
He was raised in an atheist household.
In a 2005 interview with Die Zeit, he said, “I don’t know if I’m all that Catholic really. I’m probably not. Denmark is a very Protestant country. Perhaps I only turned Catholic to piss off a few of my countrymen.”
Then, in 2009, he stated, “I’m a very bad Catholic. In fact I’m becoming more and more of an atheist.”
Lars von Trier Favorite Things
- One Of His Favorite Films – The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Source – IMDb
Lars von Trier Facts
- He received his surname “Trier” from his stepfather Ulf Trier whom he believed to be his biological father until 1989.
- Lars von Trier was 25 years old when he bagged 2 “Best School Film” awards for Nocturne and Last Detail at the Munich International Festival of Film Schools.
- He directed the 1991 political drama art film Europa and the film won several accolades including the Bodil Award for “Best Danish Film”.
- Along with director Thomas Vinterberg, Lars von Trier started the filmmaking movement called Dogme 95 in 1995. They created the “Dogme 95 Manifesto” and the “Vows of Chastity” which included rules to create films based on the traditional values of story, acting, and theme, and excluding the use of elaborate special effects or technology. The movement was supposedly intended as an attempt to “take back power for the directors as artists”, as opposed to the studio.
- Lars von Trier directed the 2009 experimental psychological horror film Antichrist, starring Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg. The film received many awards like the Bodil Award and the Robert Award for “Best Danish Film”.
- It was announced on August 8, 2022, that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
- He has frequently collaborated with Jean-Marc Barr, Udo Kier, and Stellan Skarsgård.
- Lars von Trier suffers from many fears and phobias and once said, “Basically, I’m afraid of everything in life, except film making.” One of his major fears is an intense fear of flying.
- He has stated that he suffers from occasional depression.
Featured Image by Siebbi / ipernity.com / CC BY 3.0