|La’Tecia Thomas Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||September 3, 1990|
La’Tecia Thomas is a glamorous Australian plus-sized model who gained a large social media following for sharing her journey of being a former mentally unhealthy size 6 (UK) to a self-confident and happy size 16 (UK). She has shared raw, make-up free photos of her alongside photo-shopped and retouched images in an attempt to discourage women from comparing their bodies to anybody else. She admitted to having varicose veins and cellulite to distinguish real-life bodies from unachievable flawless images. The model is a vocal advocate of greater inclusivity and diversity of the female body type in the fashion and beauty industry.
Los Angeles, California, United States
At first, La’Tecia enrolled in a college for a Bachelor’s degree with the intention of working in the Justice sector in Australia. Meanwhile, experimenting with make-up was a hobby since her adolescence. When she started posting photos of some of her looks on social media, she realized that she wanted to specialize in this field.
Leaving her degree mid-way, La’Tecia took a Diploma course in Specialist Makeup Services. To gain a footing in the beauty industry, she worked on collaborative photo shoots to build a portfolio and showcase her technique.
Plus-size Model, Make-Up Artist, Body Positive Activist
La’Tecia is represented by –
- Wilhelmina, Los Angeles, United States
- Bella Management, Australia
- Milk Management, United Kingdom
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Asian)
She has European and Indian ancestry.
- Curvaceous physical frame
- Thick, luscious lips
8.5 (US) or 6 (UK) or 39 (EU)
- She was cast in a lingerie campaign for Simply Be in 2018.
- In 2016, she organized a make-up masterclass sponsored by Lash Parade.
- She has also served as the brand ambassador for In the Style, a UK based clothing line for plus-sized women.
- La’Tecia became the affiliate marketer for Fashion Nova on YouTube in 2017.
- She also promotes several other companies by filming reviews of various make-up and clothing brands on her YouTube account.
Best Known For
- Being a plus-sized model who promotes body positivity on social media
- The Instagram posts of her reverse transformation and the difference between actual and edited images that went viral
When she was 15 years old, La’Tecia was approached by a modeling agent at a mall with an offer to get her a portfolio. She attempted modeling for a while but quit after 6 months. That period marked the start of her mental battle to look and get slim, that made her increasingly insecure about her physical proportions. She became afraid of looking at her body in full-length mirrors and attempted long workouts and crash diets.
The model formerly trained with a personal trainer, Gerald Washington based in Long Beach, California.
Thomas eats a vegetarian diet. She takes care of her mental health by applying her favorite beauty products, or practicing a calming yoga flow.
La’Tecia Thomas Favorite Things
- Innovative MUA (Make-up Artist) – Pat McGrath
- Conceptual MUA – Alex Box
- Red Carpet MUA – Hrush Achemyan
- Moisturizer – Rose Hip oil, Lush Cosmetics Skin Drink
- Scrub – Ives Apricot Scrub
- Dream Celebrity Client – Angelina Jolie
- Downtime Relaxing Activity – Sketching
- Her Body Part – Her bum
- Plus-Sized Models – Iskra Laurence, Ashley Graham
Source – NoGraceKelly.com, Cosmopolitan
La’Tecia Thomas Facts
- Had she not established a career as a make-up artist and a model, she would have pursued a career as a street photographer. She particularly finds joy in capturing children playing outdoor games.
- In 2011, she participated in the Miss World Australia competition and felt miserable about herself since she was always attributed to as the plus-sized girl. While participating in bikini competitions, although La’Tecia successfully managed to get slim, the model continued to suffer from a terrible self-image made worse by facing rejection from some modeling agencies.
- For a few years in her early 20s, she continued to work behind the scenes as a make-up artist until one of her photographer friends suggested that she should apply to plus-sized modeling agencies.
- Bella Management was the first agency to sign her in 2016 that gave a new lease of life to her modeling career. The validation of working with her natural body shape liberated La’Tecia from all the prior mental stress of fitting into the slim and lean beauty standard of the fashion industry. Shortly after that, she moved to the United States to take advantage of the flourishing diversity in the American modeling industry.
- She is good at sketching and people often ask her to design tattoos for them. However, La’Tecia does not ever intend to pursue this talent commercially. Sketching for her is merely a relaxing emotional outlet to take a break from the use of technology and the Internet.
- Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by La’Tecia Thomas / Instagram