|Lauren Tom Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1.5 in|
|Date of Birth||August 4, 1961|
Lauren Tom is a talented American actress and voice-over artist. Some of her notable roles include The Joy Luck Club, Friends, In Good Company, Bad Santa, When a Man Loves a Woman, Codename: Kids Next Door, Teacher’s Pet, Rocket Power, Superman: The Animated Series, and American Dragon: Jake Long. She used to be a dancer for the Hubbard Street Dance Company in Chicago. She has a huge social media fan base with more than 200k followers on Instagram and more than 100k followers on Twitter.
Highland Park, Illinois, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Actress, Voice Actress
- Father – Chan Tom, Jr. (Worked in the frozen food business)
- Mother – Nancy Tom (Worked in the frozen food business)
- Siblings – Chip (Older Brother)
Lauren Tom is managed by –
- The Gersh Agency, Theatrical Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Imperium 7 Talent Agency, Voice Over & Commercial Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Kelly Garner, Manager, Pop Art Management, Sherman Oaks, California, United States
5 ft 1½ in or 156 cm
48 kg or 106 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lauren Tom has dated –
- Glenn Lau-Kee – Lauren was in a relationship with Glenn Lau-Kee. The couple tied the knot on October 23, 1982. They were together for almost 10 years until Lauren filed for divorce in 1992 citing irreconcilable differences.
- Curt Kaplan – Lauren dated actor Curt Kaplan for a while before tying the knot on October 17, 1999. They have 2 sons named Oliver Kaplan (b. 2000) and Leo Kaplan (b. August 25, 2003).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Chinese descent.
- Front Bangs
- Bright wide smile
- Squared jawline
Lauren Tom has either promoted or endorsed brands like –
- Croix Chocolate Co.
- PSC Originals
- Pixel Plush
Best Known For
Her performances in The Joy Luck Club (1993) as Lena St. Clair, Friends (1995-1996) as Julie, and Grace Under Fire (1997-1998) as Dot; and also, for her voice roles in Futurama (1999–2003 & 2008–2013) as Amy Wong and Inez and King of the Hill (1997-2010) as Minh, Connie and other voices
In 1984, she made her theatrical film debut in the comedy-drama film Nothing Lasts Forever as Eloy.
In 2002, she made her theatrical film debut as a voice actress in The Wild Thornberrys Movie. However, her role was uncredited.
In 2004, she made her credited theatrical film debut as a voice actress by lending her voice for the character of Younghee in the animated adventure-comedy film Teacher’s Pet.
First TV Show
In 1982, she made her first TV show appearance on the comedy family series The Facts of Life as Miko.
In 1983, she made her TV show debut as a voice actress on the family series Reading Rainbow.
Lauren Tom Favorite Things
- Film Of Her – The Joy Luck Club (1993)
Source – JeffPearlman.com
Lauren Tom Facts
- She used to be a dancer when she was younger and practiced dancing 5-6 hours a day.
- She was a part of the Hubbard Street Dance Company based in Chicago.
- Lauren was often bullied as a child for her Chinese heritage.
- At the age of 17, she did her first Broadway show called A Chorus Line.
- When she was 15 years old, she did a TV commercial as a dancing bear wearing a bear costume which had a large bear head.
- Her worst acting experience was in Grace Under Fire (1997-1998).
- Her biggest on-stage/on-air screw up was while performing the Greek tragedy, Ajax at the Kennedy Center where she completely missed her cue, and the other actors had to improvise.
- She has done some notable Broadway shows in Goodman Theater, Guthrie Theater, La Jolla Playhouse, and the Kennedy Center, working alongside directors like Peter Sellars and JoAnne Akalaitis.
- Lauren has contributed essays to Brain, Child Magazine, East West Woman, Strut, and Freshyarn.com.
- She is heavily involved with the charity organization, Homeboy Industries.
- She owns 2 dogs named PJ and Willie.
- Visit her official website @ laurentom.com.
- Follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0