Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Liya attended a French international school Lycée Guebre-Mariam in Addis Ababa.
Model, actress, clothing designer, humanitarian (maternal health advocate)
Model Liya is signed with these modeling agencies –
- IMG Models – London
- IMG Models – New York
- IMG Models – Sydney
- Viva Models – Paris
- D’Management Group – Milan
- Iconic Management – Hamburg
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
57 kg or 126 pounds
In 2000, she married Ethiopian hedge fund manager Kassy Kebede. Together, the couple has two children, son Suhul (b. 2001) and daughter Raee (b. August 2005). They lived in NYC before getting publicly separated in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
- Tiny body frame
33-23-34 in or 84-58.5-86 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
9 (US) or 39.5 (EU) or 6.5 (UK)
Liya has advertised for brands and designers like Ann Taylor, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, Dolce & Gabbana, Emanuel Ungaro, Escada, Esteé Lauder, Gap, Givenchy, H&M, J.Crew, Jones New York, Kenzo, Lanvin, Lord & Taylor, L’Oréal, Louis Vuitton, St. John, Tiffany & Co., Tommy Hilfiger, Vidal Sassoon, and Yves Saint Laurent (YSL).
She seems to be half-Christian and half-Muslim.
Best Known For
Having worked with numerous fashion designers such as YSL, Roberto Cavalli, Louis Vuitton, L’Oreal, etc.
First Fashion Show
Liya debuted with Ready to Wear – Spring / Summer 2000 fashion show where she walked the ramp for BCBG Max Azria, and Ralph Lauren.
In 2005, Liya appeared in crime drama film Lord of War for her role as Faith.
She works out, most preferably yoga and eats mostly organic and healthy food. Liya keeps a balance between all the things – fitness, fashion, etc.
Liya Kebede Favorite Things
- Beauty Icon – Jane Birkin
- Beauty Products – L’Oréal True Match Foundation, L’Oréal Colour Riche Le Gloss in Natural Nude, Voluminous Mascara by L’Oreal
- Salon – A Dominican salon in Harlem (She didn’t reveal the name intentionally)
- Hair Products – Kérastase products, Elnett hairspray
- Workout – Yoga
- Shoes – Schier’s black leather Erongo shoes
- Designers – Proenza Schouler, Alexander Wang
You can also check out her 9 favorite fashion related things on AOL.
Liya Kebede Facts
- Liya is the first Estee Lauder model of color. She had a deal with Estee Lauder where she was paid 3 million dollars every year for 3 years.
- In Ethiopia, she had to bring her own shoes for the fashion shows during the catwalk.
- She was discovered by a film director when she was studying at Lycée Guebre-Mariam. She was then introduced to a French modeling agent.
- In 2005, she was made WHO’s Ambassador for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health.
- In 2008, she launched her own clothing line called “Lemlem.” In Amharic language, it means “to bloom.”
- She has started a non-profit organization called “Liya Kebede Foundation” to reduce maternal and child deaths.
- Due to her philanthropic work, she was chosen as Glamour’s Women of the Year in 2013.
- In 2007, she became the world’s 11th highest-paid top model as per Forbes.
- As a kid, she was like studying most of the time – sitting in the corner fully focussed in her books.
- Connect with Liya on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.