|Madison Kocian Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||June 15, 1997|
|Achievement||Gold medalist Gymnast|
Madison Kocian is a retired American artistic gymnast who is best known for winning a gold medal at the uneven bar during the “2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships” and her contribution to the win of the team all-around at the 2014 and 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships. With time, she has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 650k followers on Instagram and more than 200k followers on Twitter.
Madison Taylor Kocian
Dallas, Texas, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
She started her gymnastics training at the World Olympic Gymnastics Academy in Plano, Texas when she was years old.
She also studied at the Spring Creek Academy in Plano from where she graduated in 2015.
In 2016, she started studying at the University of California, Los Angeles and graduated in 2020.
- Father – Thomas Kocian
- Mother – Cindy Kocian
- Siblings – Ty Kocian (Brother)
5 ft 2 in 157.5 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Athletic physique
- Wide smile
- Nubian nose shape
Madison Kocian Favorite Things
- Food – Seafood (especially Salmon)
- TV Shows – The Blacklist, America’s Got Talent
- Apparatus – Uneven bars
- Male Celebrity – Liam Hemsworth
Source – TeamUSA, UCLA, UsMagazine.com
Madison Kocian Facts
- She was brought up in Dallas, Texas. Later, she moved to Los Angeles.
- Madison is close friends with Olympic gold medalist and NCAA national champion Kyla Ross.
- She was trained at the same gym as Olympians Carly Patterson and Nastia Liukin. They had also been an inspiration to her during her younger days.
- She was 12 years old when she earned herself a place on the U.S. Junior National Team in 2009.
- Kocian was a member of the UCLA Bruins women’s gymnastics team.
- Madison and her teammate Kyla Ross spoke up against former USA Gymnastics team doctor, osteopathic, and convicted serial child molester Larry Nassar on the account of sexual abuse. His unorthodox stint of abuse included more than 250 young women.
- She had signed a letter of intent with UCLA in 2014. However, she was unable to follow up on her enrollment due to the practice that she needed to get for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.
- Madison’s achievements did not come easily to her. In 2012, she broke the growth plate of the radius in her wrist. This put her out of the game for 3 months.
- A year after she broke her wrist, Madison was asked to undergo surgery as her growth plate had stopped growing and her ulnar bone had grown 3mm longer. However, she postponed the surgery despite being in pain to compete at the “2014 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships” where she contributed to the team winning a gold medal all-around. After the competition, she had a plate and 7 screws put in her hand during the surgery.
- At the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, Madison helped anchor her team to first place with her breathtaking performance on the uneven bars, scoring a 15.866. Later, she also contributed to a second gold Olympic win on the uneven bar.
- In the past, she aspired to be a pediatric orthopedic physician’s assistant.
- She contributed to the win of UCLA’s first “NCAA Gymnastics” title win since 2010 in 2018.
- Her 5th birthday party was a gymnastics party.
- At the gym, she is called ‘Madi’.
- Kocian loves Carrie Underwood.
- Madison knows almost every word of Carrie Underwood’s Storyteller album.
- Madi loves the book Mind Gym: An Athlete’s Guide to Inner Excellence by Gary Mack.
- Madi likes cooking. She sometimes cooks food after getting the recipes from Pinterest.
- She is a big fan of the Texas Rangers baseball team.
- She was superstitious when it came to wearing hair clips during competitions. She wore them in the exact same order in every contest.
- Madison is the first gymnast in her family.
- She is afraid of snakes.
- If she wasn’t an athlete, she would have been volunteering at a children’s hospital.
- When she used to travel for gymnastics, she used to keep a block in her suitcase to motivate her which read, ‘Think positive and positive things will happen’.
- She likes chewing gum.
- Madison has the habit of collecting keychains from different countries.
- In her high school graduation class, there were just 16 people.
- She retired from artistic gymnastics on March 12, 2020.
Featured Image By Madison Kocian / Instagram