|Maggie Gyllenhaal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||November 16, 1977|
Maggie Gyllenhaal is an American actor, film producer, director, theatre actor, and voice artist who is the daughter of filmmakers Stephen Gyllenhaal and Naomi Achs and the older sister of fellow actor Jake Gyllenhaal. She is known for playing Lee Holloway in the erotic black comedy romantic drama film Secretary, Rachel Dawes in the superhero film The Dark Knight, Ana Pascal in the fantasy comedy-drama film Stranger than Fiction, Eileen “Candy” Merrell in the television drama series The Deuce, Isabel Green in the period fantasy comedy film Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, Jude in the dramedy film Happy Endings, Elizabeth “Zee” (voice) in the computer-animated supernatural comedy horror film Monster House, Clara in the independent black comedy film Frank, Jean Craddock in the drama film Crazy Heart, Debbie in the biographical spy film Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Sherry Swanson in the drama film Sherrybaby, and Nessa Stein, Baroness Stein of Tilbury in the political spy thriller series The Honourable Woman.
Margalit Ruth Gyllenhaal
New York City, New York, United States
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Maggie attended Harvard–Westlake prep school in Los Angeles, California and graduated in 1995.
Subsequently, she went to Columbia University to attain a Bachelor of Arts degree in literature and Eastern religions.
Maggie took acting lessons from London’s Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Actor, Producer, Director, Voice Artist, Theatre Actor
- Father – Stephen Gyllenhaal (Film director and writer)
- Mother – Naomi Achs (Producer, writer, director)
- Siblings – Jake Gyllenhaal (Younger Brother) (Actor)
- Others – Hugh Anders Gyllenhaal (Paternal Grandfather), Virginia Lowry/Lowrie Childs (Paternal Grandmother), Samuel Achs (Maternal Grandfather), Ruth Silbowitz (Maternal Grandmother), Anders Leonard Gyllenhaal (Great-Great-Grandfather)
She has been signed to –
- MGMT Entertainment, Talent Management Company, West Hollywood, California, United States
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
Her net worth had been $25 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
60 kg or 132 pounds
Maggie started dating actor Peter Sarsgaard in June 2002. He was already a close friend of her brother Jake. They got engaged in April 2006 and married on May 2, 2009, in Brindisi, Italy.
The couple has two daughters, named, Ramona (b. October 2006) and Gloria Ray (b. April 2012).
Race / Ethnicity
She has Swedish, English, Swiss-German, German, Scottish, distant Welsh, and French ancestry on her father’s side while she is of Russian and Polish descent on her mother’s side.
36-25-35 in or 91.5-63.5-89 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
9.5 (US) or 40 (EU)
She has appeared in the fashion brand Miu Miu’s ad in 2004.
From 2011 to 2012, she appeared in the print ads for got milk?
Best Known For
Playing the role as Lee Holloway in the 2002 erotic romance film Secretary. The film received nearly two dozen nominations, out of which many of were turned into awards.
She appeared in 1992 mystery drama film Waterland for her role as Maggie Ruth. Her dad Stephen directed the film.
First TV Show
In 2014, she debuted in the political–spy thriller miniseries The Honourable Woman as Nessa Stein.
For the show, she also won a Golden Globe for “Best Actress Award” while she was nominated for Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie” and Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie”.
She works out.
Maggie, as a beginner started out with lots of running. She used to run for around 45 minutes. Though her hubby is a big runner and with him, she covers much greater distances like 5 miles in much lesser time.
She is also into cardio aerobics, apart from running.
She has also started practicing yoga and is in love with the Ashtanga pose.
Maggie Gyllenhaal Favorite Things
- Actress – Gena Rowlands
- Salad – Summer Zucchini Salad
- Coffee Shop – Gorilla Coffee Shop in Brooklyn
Maggie Gyllenhaal Facts
- Maggie’s dad grew up in Swedenborgian religion.
- Maggie did not go to any Hebrew school.
- Gyllenhaal’s birth certificate contains the name “Margalit,” which she found in 2013. She then officially changed it to “Maggie.” On some news websites, “Margolit” can also be seen.
- “Margalit” is a Hebrew word, which means “Pearl” in English.
- She has also worked as a waitress in a Massachusetts restaurant.
- She has modeled for brands like Miu Miu, Reebok, and Agent Provocateur.
- She also used to smoke earlier, but now has quit.
- For the 2010 film The Killer Inside Me, she was first considered to play the role of Joyce Lakeland. But, ultimately, Jessica Alba was finalized to the cast.
- Maggie is good friends with actress Emma Thompson.
- In 2015, she revealed that she was rejected to play the love interest of a 55-year old male character in a movie, saying that, she was too old to do that. At that time, she was 37.
- Her theatre credits include playing Alice in Closer, Yelena Andreevna in Uncle Vanya, Annie in The Real Thing, Priscilla Ceiling in Homebody/Kabul, and Masha Kulygina in Three Sisters.
- She never leaves home without lipstick in her purse.
- In 2021, Maggie won the award for “Best Screenplay” at the Venice Film Festival for her movie, The Lost Daughter.