|Marko Livaja Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||August 26, 1993|
Marko Livaja is a Croatian professional soccer player who has represented, as a forward/ attacking midfielder, Inter Milan (2011-2013) and Atalanta B.C. (2013-2014) in Italy; FC Rubin Kazan (2014-2016) in Russia; UD Las Palmas (2016-2018) in Spain; AEK Athens F.C. (2018-2021) in Greece; and HNK Hajduk Split (2021-Present) in Croatia. He has also spent loan spells with FC Lugano (2011) in Switzerland; A.C. Cesena (2011-2012) and Empoli F.C. (2015-2016) in Italy; and AEK Athens F.C. (2017-2018) in Greece. With AEK Athens F.C., he won the Super League Greece (the top tier of the Greek soccer league system) title in the 2017-18 season. It was the club’s 12th such title and made it the then 3rd most successful team in the competition. With HNK Hajduk Split, he won the Croatian Cup (the premier domestic knockout soccer competition in Croatia) in the 2021-22 season. This was the club’s 7th such title and made it the then 2nd most successful team in the competition. At the international level, Marko represented Croatia at the under-15, under-16, under-17, under-18, under-19, under-20, and under-21 tiers before making his senior national debut in 2018. With Croatia, he finished in 3rd place in the 2022 edition of the FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) World Cup.
Split, Dalmatia, Croatia
Split, Dalmatia, Croatia
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Milan Livaja (d. August 28, 2022)
- Mother – Ljiljana Livaja
- Siblings – Mirko Livaja (Younger Brother) (Soccer Player)
- 13, 14 – Croatia
- 29 – A.C. Cesena
- 88 – Inter Milan
- 7 – Atalanta B.C.
- 10 – FC Rubin Kazan
- 39 – Empoli F.C.
- 9 – UD Las Palmas
- 10 – AEK Athens F.C.
- 11, 10 – HNK Hajduk Split
Forward, Attacking Midfielder
6 ft or 183 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Marko has dated –
- Iris Rajčić (2014-Present) – Marko began dating Croatian model and fitness trainer Iris Rajčić in 2014. The couple eventually got married in February 2022 in a ceremony held in Marko’s hometown of Split. They have 2 children together – a daughter named Elizabet (b. June 2016) and a son named Lorenzo (b. February 2021).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Croatian descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped, side-parted, spiked hair
- Sports a thick beard
- Has both his hands, upper chest, midriff, and left leg covered in tattoos
Marko Livaja Facts
- Marko’s youth career began in 1997 when, as a 4-year-old, he joined NK GOŠK Kaštel Gomilica, a soccer club based in Kaštela, Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia. In 2005, he joined the youth team of NK Omladinac Vranjic, a soccer club based in Vranjic, a village north of his hometown of Split.
- In the summer of 2008, he was called up by GNK Dinamo Zagreb Academy, the youth system of the Croatian professional soccer club GNK Dinamo Zagreb. However, before he could join them, he received a call from the youth academy of his hometown top-flight soccer club HNK Hajduk Split (long-standing rivals of GNK Dinamo Zagreb), and moved there.
- In 2010, he was recruited by the youth system of Italian giants Inter Milan and stayed there until 2011 when he was promoted to the club’s senior team. As a part of the club’s youth team, he had won the inaugural (2011-12) season of the NextGen series, a soccer tournament that involved the under-19 teams of top-tier clubs from across Europe. The tournament was abolished after its 2nd season (2012-13).
- He was included in the ‘Super League Greece Team of the Year’ in both the 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons. For his performances in the latter season, he was named the ‘Super League Greece Player of the Year’ as well as AEK Athens F.C.‘s ‘Player of the Year’.
- For his performances in the 2021-22 season of the Prva HNL, where he was the leading goalscorer (28 goals), he was included in the league’s ‘Team of the Season’ by CIES (Centre International d’Etude du Sport), an independent research and education organization, located in Neuchâtel, Switzerland. His tally of 28 league goals was the then-record for a single season by a player from HNK Hajduk Split, surpassing Leo Lemešić’s tally of 26 such goals in the 1934-35 season.
- At the 2022 edition of the FIFA World Cup, he scored Croatia’s 2nd goal in a 4-1 win over Canada in the team’s 2nd match of the group stage. This was just the 4th senior-level international goal of his career for Croatia and his first goal for Croatia at a major tournament. He also became the first-ever current HNK Hajduk Split player to have scored a goal for Croatia in a FIFA World Cup match.
- Sandwiched between goalless draws against Morocco and Belgium, Croatia’s defeat of Canada was instrumental in helping the team finish the group stage in the 2nd position (with 5 points). Croatia eventually reached the semi-final of the FIFA World Cup for the 3rd time – after a 3rd-place finish in 1998 and a runner-up finish in 2018.
- In the 3rd place play-off match of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, against Morocco, he provided Mislav Oršić with the assist for the winning goal in a 2-1 victory.
Featured Image by Marko Livaja / Instagram