|Matthew Trebek Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Year of Birth||1990|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
Matthew Trebek is an American entrepreneur who co-owns a Mexican restaurant named Oso in Harlem, New York. During his graduation, he had worked as a bartender at several Manhattan restaurants and clubs. One such stint at the now-shuttered restaurant named Willow Road inspired him to begin a career as a restaurateur. Matthew is the son of a well-known Canadian-American TV personality and game show host Alex Trebek who died on November 8, 2020, due to pancreatic cancer.
Matthew Trebek was born in the year 1990.
Los Angeles, California, United States
Harlem, New York City, New York, United States
Matthew studied philosophy, like his father, and graduated from Fordham University, a private university in New York City, in 2013.
- Father – Alex Trebek (Television Personality, Game Show Host, Actor; Died in November 2020)
- Mother – Jean Currivan (Real Estate Project Manager)
- Siblings – Emily Trebek (Real Estate Investor) (Younger Sister)
- Others – George Edward Trebek (Paternal Grandfather) (Chef), Lucille Lagacé (Paternal Grandmother), Barbara Trebek (Paternal Aunt), William Trebek (Paternal Great Grandfather), Vera Shauchuck (Paternal Great Grandmother), Benjamin Lagacé (Maternal Great Grandfather), Sophie-Adelaïde Bélanger (Maternal Great Grandmother), Nicky (Half-Sister; Adopted by Alex Trebek from his first wife Elaine Callei’s previous marriage)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Ukrainian, French-Canadian, English, and Irish ancestry.
- Sports a lightly-trimmed beard
- Short-cropped hair
- Dimpled smile
- Has a mole on his neck and one over his left eyebrow
Matthew Trebek Favorite Things
- Cuisine – Mexican
- Music Genre – Hip Hop, Jazz, Funk, Soul
- Snacks – Carne Asada Tacos, Quesadillas
Source – Fordham News
Matthew Trebek Facts
- In an interview, Matthew stated that he was drawn to the hospitality industry as he felt that it provided him a very flexible platform to venture out into multiple interesting fields in one pursuit – design, architecture, food, drinks, and music; in addition to the opportunity of meeting and mingling with a diverse array of people.
- Matthew was drawn towards not just mixology but also towards the architectural design of restaurants while he was working at Willow Road restaurant in New York. He contacted the restaurant’s interior designer and started to work as a carpenter for his company. Eventually, the two became business partners and developed the idea for a restaurant of their own.
- After 3 years of ideation and planning, the pair opened a 44-seat restaurant named Oso that specialized in Mexican street food and craft cocktails.
- The decision to select Mexican cuisine as the chief theme of his restaurant stemmed from his belief that although there were Mexican food joints in New York, they did not offer the authentic experience that he enjoyed while growing up in Los Angeles and during his visits to Mexico City. He works with a family from Puebla, Mexico to ensure that his restaurant stays true to its promise of delivering true Mexican street fare.
- After Mathew decided to open a restaurant in Harlem, New York, his father bought him a USD 1.9 million townhouse in the neighborhood.
- Although his famous father wasn’t initially enthused by Matthew’s decision to open a restaurant, he came around to supporting his venture. His mother, though, was one of the first investors in the business.
- After the success of his first venture, he opened a multi-purpose cocktail lounge named Lucille’s, again in the Harlem neighborhood. The facility works as a coffee shop from 7 am to 4 pm and then converts into a cocktail bar at night.
Featured Image by Lo’renzo Hill-White / Instagram
Condolences for the loss of your father.
I have watched him since the beginning of Jeopardy.
He is an inspiration to many and a model of what a person should strive for.