|Michael Rennie Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||August 25, 1909|
|Date of Death||June 10, 1971|
Michael Rennie was a British actor whose notable film credits included such films as The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951), I’ll Be Your Sweetheart (1945), The Wicked Lady (1945), Caesar and Cleopatra (1945), The Black Rose (1950), The 13th Letter (1951), Ships with Wings (1941), I’ll Never Forget You (1951), Phone Call from a Stranger (1952), Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954), Désirée (1954), Soldier of Fortune (1955), The Robe (1953), etc.
Eric Alexander Rennie
He was born on August 25, 1909.
He passed away from unknown causes at the age of 61 years on June 10, 1971, in Harrogate.
Idle, (Bradford) West Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Michael completed his education at the Leys School located in Cambridge.
- Father – James Rennie (Wool Mill Owner)
- Mother – Amelia Dobby
- Siblings – William Rennie (Older Brother), Gordon Rennie (Younger Brother), Edith Rennie (Sister)
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
83 kg or 183 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Michael Rennie had dated –
- Joan England (1938-1945) – From 1938 until 1945, he was married to Joan England.
- Renée Gilbert – Renée Gilbert, who was the sister of director Lewis Gilbert, was Michael’s longtime mistress. Their affair produced a son named John Marshall Taylor (b. 1944), who became a producer later in life.
- Margaret ‘Maggie’ McGrath (1947-1960) – In 1947, he wed actress Maggie McGrath. The couple welcomed a son named David Rennie, who grew up to become an English circuit judge. However, the couple got divorced in 1960.
- Lisa Davis (1955-1956)
- Dorothy Dandridge (1956)
- Barbara Nichols (1956)
- Greta Thyssen (1957)
- Mary Gardner (1958) – Rennie began dating Mary Gardner in 1958, while she was married to director Otto Preminger. The couple got briefly engaged before deciding to go their separate ways.
- Jeanne Carmen
Race / Ethnicity
He had Scottish ancestry on his father’s side and was of English descent on his mother’s side.
However, his hair had turned ‘Gray’ by the time of his death.
- Chin dimple
- Towering height
- Long, slender nose
Michael Rennie Facts
- His great-great grandfather John Rennie had designed and built the New London Bridge.
- For Michael, his role model was the actor Ronald Colman.
- He served as a flight instructor for more than 2 years during World War II.
- Rennie was a close friend of fellow actor Tyrone Power and the two starred together in films like The Black Rose (1950), I’ll Never Forget You (1951), King of the Khyber Rifles (1954), etc.
- He is best remembered for playing the fictional humanoid alien called Klaatu in the sci-fi classic film, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). The film was chosen by the Library of Congress to be included in the National Film Registry for being ‘culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant’ in 1995.
- Actor Claude Rains was initially offered Rennie’s career-defining role of Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951).
- The American actress, dancer, and singer Ruby Keeler was born on the exact same day as him i.e., August 25, 1909.
Featured Image by CBS Television / Wikimedia / Public Domain