|Monica Raymund Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||July 26, 1986|
Monica Raymund is an American actress from St. Petersburg, Florida. She started her acting career in 2004 and has played an important role of Gabriela Dawson on Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., and Chicago Med. She is an alumnus of Juilliard School and received her BFA in acting in 2008.
St. Petersburg, Florida, U.S.
- Los Angeles, California
- Chicago, Illinois
Monica studied at Shorecrest Preparatory School in St. Petersburg, Florida and graduated in 2004.
She moved on to attend The Juilliard School in New York City and booked a network role even before she attained her Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts (BFA) in 2008.
Actress, Performing Arts Teacher, Producer (Theatre & Film)
- Father – Steven Alan Raymund aka Steve (Former Chairman & CEO of Tech Data Corporation)
- Mother – Sonia Raymund née Lara (Co-founder of Soulful Arts Dance Academy in St Petersburg, Runs a non-profit organization in Florida)
- Siblings – William Morris Raymund aka Will (2 Years Younger Brother, Expired in August 2015) (Sound & Lighting Engineer / Music Promoter)
- Others – Edward Charles Raymund (Paternal Grandfather) (Founder of Tech Data Corporation), Annette Leah Davidson (Paternal Grandmother), Maria Lara (Maternal Grandmother)
She is represented by these agencies –
- The Gersh Agency, Beverly Hills, California
- The Group Entertainment
5 ft 4 in or 163 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Monica has dated –
- Neil Patrick Stewart (2011–2014) – Monica met her ex-husband more than a decade before they got married at Broadway Theatre Project where both of them were serving as teachers. Neil is primarily a writer who also works as a teacher, director, and actor. The two co-founded another school together called the Performing Arts Project in collaboration with a few other colleagues. The couple got married in an intimate outdoor ceremony at Colorado Rockies in June 2011. Merely two years after their wedding, the couple announced their separation. Their divorce was finalized the following year in 2014.
- Jesse Spencer – Jesse Spencer is an Australian actor who has often been linked with Monica as they have been spotted together during various events. But, nothing has been confirmed about the assumptions as they have maintained that they are just good friends.
- Tari Segal (2015–Present) – Tari works as a cinematographer and director of photography. She was a camera operator on the sets of Chicago Fire for 16 episodes (2014–2015). During that time, Monica and Tari became friends and started dating. Monica confirmed her relationship with Tari on Twitter in September 2015 but deleted that post later. The two women continue to be together. While Monica came out bisexual to her friends and family at the age of 19, she formally announced her sexual orientation to the rest of the world on Twitter in February 2014.
Race / Ethnicity
Monica’s father is Caucasian, half English and half Ashkenazi Jewish. His maternal grandparents were from Lithuania and Russia. Monica has Hispanic (Dominican) ancestry on mother’s side.
Bisexual (The actress prefers to define herself as Queer)
- Visible tattoos of a butterfly on her inner right arm and another vertical drawing on her sternum
- Very thick eyebrows above big, deep-set eyes
- Smooth, healthy skin
No available record to confirm her endorsements.
Best Known For
- Playing the main role of Maria aka Ria Torres in 48 episodes of crime drama series Lie to Me from 2009 to 2011 aired on Fox Network.
- Having played the main role of Gabriela Dawson aka Gabby in the NBC network action-drama called Chicago Fire. Her character also has cross-over appearances in Chicago P.D. and Chicago Med.
First TV Show
1 episode guest role of a character named Trini Martinez in season 9 episode 17 of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit in 2008.
- Monica has been an avid cyclist since the age of 15.
- Before college, her parents used to take her for cycling expeditions to Bryce and Zion National Parks in the United States and traveled to parts of Japan and Vietnam for a bike ride in the wilderness.
- When she moved to NYC to study at Juilliard, she purchased a Trek Pilot 1.2 hybrid and Fuji 2.0 bikes for local commute.
- After college graduation, Monica moved to Los Angeles but did not find the city compatible for cyclists. Nevertheless, she took up the 35 mile Ojai valley bike ride and would often ride her bicycle from Santa Monica to Manhattan Beach.
- Instead of frequently riding outdoors in LA, Monica took advantage of spinning classes popular in the city that further helped her improve her cycling form.
- In 2010, Monica completed her first triathlon that included the classic distance of a half-mile swim, 18-mile ride, and a 4-mile run.
- After getting cast as a paramedic-turned-firefighter on Chicago Fire in 2012, Monica went through actual intensive practical training of paramedics and firefighters.
- The actress had to go for ride-along trips, perform simulations on dummies and practice CPR. She had to experience most of the field activity wearing 60 pounds of firefighter gear. Doing that for 14-hour long daily shifts was exhausting.
- To keep up with the rigorous demands of the show, Monica took up weight training that she usually performs in circuits almost every day of the week.
- Twice a week, she started taking boxing classes from a former firefighter turned personal trainer in Chicago.
- Other days of the week, she attends a hot yoga class.
- While filming, her day starts at 5 am on the sets of her TV show and lasts till late evening.
- When off-filming, Monica starts her day with a cup of coffee at 9 a.m. as a pre-workout beverage, preferably a latte from La Colombe trendy café on Randolph Street, Chicago.
- She consumes her lunch by 12:30 p.m. and dinner by 6:00 p.m. which are the only two major meals of her day.
Monica Raymund Favorite Things
- Restaurants In Chicago – Ada St., 90 Miles Cuban Café, RPM Steak, Kingsbury Street Café, Le Bouchon, RM Champagne Salon, Nellcôte
- Chicago Neighborhood – Lincoln Park, Fulton Market District
- Sport – Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), Ice-Hockey
- Team – Chicago Blackhawks (Ice-Hockey)
- Gay Bar – Berlin (in Chicago)
- Music Clubs (in Chicago) – The Jazz Showcase, The Empty Bottle (For EDM or Rock music), Double Door (Now permanently closed)
- Role (Among Her Own) – Clytemnestra
- Dream Role – Katherine in Taming of the Shrew
- Production Project – The Submarine Kid (2015)
- Hobby – Traveling
- Time Of The Day – Twilight
- Historical Figures – Anton Chekhov, Benjamin Franklin, Amelia Earhart
- Personal Motto – Let the Fool Speak.
- Musical Production – Chicago
Source – The Infatuation, Where Traveler, OnMogul
Monica Raymund Facts
- She started learning to play the piano at the age of 5.
- Monica used to play softball in middle school and claimed to be very good at that game.
- Monica was considering a professional career in an industry related to Science subjects and did not explore her passion for acting seriously until she was accepted to Juilliard. Even though she was a theatre geek throughout school, she merely looked at it as a hobby.
- When Monica landed a part on Lie to me (2009–2011), she learned everything on the job. The actress had no idea she would be working in TV or films because she was presuming to become exclusively a Broadway theatre actress.
- As much as she loves her job as an actress, she admits that the downside of the TV industry is that most roles do not offer long-term job security and her character can be written off any show at any time.
- The only privilege the actress has experienced outside her industry owing to her profession is that she has to wait for very less time for a table at a high-end restaurant.
- She is the founder/president of the theatrical production company SISU Theatrical Productions.
- Monica frequently travels throughout the country to teach acting classes.
- She is extremely involved in her nonprofit Performing Arts Project based in Wake Forest University, North Carolina which gives away 8-10 scholarships every session for a 3-week intensive acting training.
- She acquired a motorcycle license in 2014 and purchased a motorcycle the very next year.
- Sports were not a major influence on Monica’s life while she was growing up, so the actress did not like watching any professional games other than UFC until she moved to Chicago for work where she developed an interest in ice-hockey.
- To find out more about the actress, follow her on Twitter, her only official page on social media.
Featured Image by Hispanic Lifestyle / Flickr / CC BY 2.0