|Narain Karthikeyan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||January 14, 1977|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Narain Karthikeyan is an Indian racing driver who appears to be the very first Formula One driver from India. He has won countless races in A1GP, British F3, World Series by Nissan, AutoGP, Formula Asia, British Formula Ford & Open Series in his entire single-seater career. In 2019, he made his exit from his single-seater career after he decided to join the Super GT series held in Japan.
Kumar Ram Narain Karthikeyan
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
He attended Stanes Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School in Coimbatore and later went to the Elf Winfield Racing School in France.
He self-manages himself.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Narain Karthikeyan Facts
- His interest in motorsport started at an early age.
- His father was a former Indian national rally champion who won South India Rally 7 times.
- Carrying his ambition to become India’s first Formula One driver, he worked hard and finished on the podium in his first race held at Sriperumpudur in a Formula Maruti.
- He went to the Elf Winfield Racing School in France and demonstrated his talent by becoming a semi-finalist in the Pilote Elf Competition for Formula Renault cars in 1992. He returned to India to compete in Formula Maruti for the 1993 season. Around the same time, he also competed in the Formula Vauxhall Junior championship held in Great Britain. With all these, he was able to pile up valuable experience in racing which fueled his eagerness to return for the following year.
- In 1998, he made his debut in the British Formula 3 Championship with the Carlin Motorsport team. Competing in 10 rounds, Karthikeyan finished at 12th place overall.
- On February 1, 2005, he announced that he had signed a preliminary deal with the Jordan Formula One team, adding that he was set to be the team’s main driver for the 2005 Formula One season, which made him India’s first Formula One racing driver.
- In 2005, he tested an Indy Racing League (IRL) car for the Red Bull Cheever Racing team for the Indianapolis 500 race. He was offered $500,000 for this but for some reason, the deal was not completed.
- In 2007, he drove for A1 Team India and made his A1 GP debut in New Zealand where he finished 10th in the sprint race and 7th in the Feature Race.
- On December 16, 2007, he won the A1GP of Zhuhai (China) for Team India, which turned out to be India’s very first A1GP victory.
- On May 11, 2009, he finished 6th in his first Le Mans series race while driving for the Kolles Audi team in the 2nd round of the 2009 championship at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium.
- He was dubbed and awarded as the 4th highest civilian honor of Padma Shri in 2010 by the Government of India.
- On March 27, 2010, he made his NASCAR debut at Martinsville Speedway where he drove the Kroger 250 Camping World Truck series for Wyler Racing in the #60 Safe Auto Insurance Company Chevrolet Silverado. Overall, he won the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Most Popular Driver Award for the 2010 season, making him the very first foreign-born race drive to win the award.
Featured Image by Narain Karthikeyan / Instagram