|Odion Ighalo Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||June 16, 1989|
Odion Ighalo is a Nigerian professional soccer player who is renowned for his goalscoring prowess. Having spent a majority of his career as a journeyman playing for clubs in Nigeria, Norway, Italy, Spain, England, and China, he realized his childhood dream in January 2020 when he joined English giants Manchester United, on loan from the Chinese Super League team Shanghai Greenland Shenhua. At the international level, he scored
16 goals in 35 games for Nigeria and was an integral member of the national team that finished 3rd at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations. He announced his retirement from the international level after the tournament.
Odion Jude Ighalo
Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Paul Ighalo
- Mother – Martina Ighalo (Trader)
- Siblings – Daniel Ighalo (Brother), Mary Atole (Older Sister) (d. 2019), Akhere Modela Ighalo (Twin Sister), Beatrice Ighalo (Older Sister), Austin Ighalo (Brother), Moses Ighalo (Brother)
- 8, 9 – Nigeria
- 20 – FK Lyn
- 9, 89 – Udinese Calcio
- 7, 16, 25 – Granada CF
- 16 – AC Cesena
- 24 – Watford FC
- 9 – Changchun Yatai, Shanghai Greenland Shenhua
- 25 – Manchester United
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Odion has dated –
- Sonia Ighalo (2009-Present) – Odion and Sonia had married in 2009. They have 3 children together, a daughter named Júlia Emboaba, and 2 sons, one of whom is named Samuel Ighalo.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Nigerian descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped hair
- Sports a thin mustache
- Affable smile
- Has a tattoo on his right arm
Odion Ighalo Favorite Things
- Soccer Club – Manchester United
- Soccer Players – Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke
Odion Ighalo Facts
- In March 2016, Odion scored a goal in Watford‘s 2-1 upset win over Arsenal in the quarter-final of the FA Cup. Consequently, Watford reached the FA Cup semi-final stage for the first time in 9 years. The goal was also Odion’s first after a 599-minute drought.
- In January 2020, he became the first Nigerian and only the 7th African player to join Manchester United. He chose to wear the number 25 which was used by Quinton Fortune, the first and at that time the longest-serving African player for the club.
- When he scored his first goal for Manchester United in February 2020, Odion dedicated it to his older sister Mary Atole who had passed away in December 2019. He has also inscribed her name into his boots, as a tribute. The goal was also his first at any European-level match.
- He represented Nigeria at the 2019 FIFA World Cup and revealed that his family had received death threats after he had failed to score a goal in the tournament.
- Odion scored 7 goals in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying campaign, the highest in the tournament. He was also the ‘Golden Boot’ winner in the tournament proper and was named in the ‘Team of the Tournament’.
Featured Image by Odion Ighalo / Instagram