|Om Raut Quick Info
|5 ft 8 in
|Date of Birth
|December 21, 1981
Om Raut is an Indian director, writer, and producer best known for directing the 2020 epic Hindi-language biographical period action film Tanhaji. He had come into the spotlight in 2015 for his direction of the critically-acclaimed Marathi-language biopic Lokmanya: Ek Yug Purush. In August 2020, he had announced that he would be helming another magnum opus titled Adipurush with Prabhas, who had played the protagonist in the global blockbusters Baahubali: The Beginning (2015) and Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017), in the lead role. Om has also produced films such as the bilingual City of Gold (2010) and the supernatural horror film Haunted – 3D (2011), the latter being India’s first stereoscopic 3D film and the country’s highest box-office opener ever for a horror film.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Om had graduated from the Balmohan Vidyamandir, a co-ed School in Mumbai. He had then earned a bachelor’s degree in Electronics Engineering from the Shah & Anchor College of Engineering in Mumbai before moving to the United States to study films. He had then attained his post-graduate degree from the renowned Syracuse University in New York.
Director, Writer, Producer
- Father – Bharatkumar Raut (Journalist, Author, Media Executive, Former Member of the Indian Parliament (Rajya Sabha))
- Mother – Neena Raut (Film Producer, National Film Award winner)
- Others – J.S. Bandekar (Documentary Filmmaker, Editor)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Om has dated –
- Preeti Kothari (2006–Present) – Om has been married to his long-time girlfriend Preeti Kothari whom he had started dating in 2006.
Race / Ethnicity
- Stocky frame
- Ever-changing hairstyle
- Affable smile
- Often sports a thick beard
Om Raut Facts
- Introduced to the world of acting and the entertainment industry at a young age by her mother, Om had worked in several theatre plays and ad films as a child actor. He had made his major acting debut playing the lead role in the 1993 children’s film Karamati Coat.
- After graduating from Syracuse University, he had worked for a brief while for MTV Networks in New York City. Upon returning to India, he had served as the vice-president of creative business at Valuable Group, promoters of UFO-Moviez, which is one of the world’s largest satellite-based digital distribution platforms.
- He had then served as the creative head of DAR Motion Pictures, an Indian film production and distribution company, before co-founding in 2012, the production company Neena Raut Entertainment, with his mother.
- Om had directed the first feature-length film under the banner, also his directorial debut, titled Lokmanya: Ek Yugpurush. The film was based on the life and times of Indian social reformer and freedom fighter Bal Gangadhar Tilak, and the amount of 1.3 crores INR that was spent on the film’s visual effects, was the highest ever for a Marathi film.
- For his work, he had won the ‘Best Debut Director’ award at the 2016 Filmfare Marathi Awards and the ‘Best Director’ award at the 2015 Maharashtra State Awards.
- In 2023, Om was criticized for kissing actress Kriti Sanon on the cheeks at Sri Venkateswara Swami Temple in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. Kriti played the role of Janaki in Adipurush (2023) which Om Raut directed.
Featured Image by Om Raut / Instagram