|Oriol Romeu Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||September 24, 1991|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Oriol Romeu is a Spanish professional football player who has played as a defensive midfielder for La Liga club Barcelona.
Oriol Romeu Vidal
Ulldecona, Catalonia, Spain
Ulldecona, Catalonia, Spain
Professional Football Player
6 ft or 183 cm
82 kg or 180.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Oriol Romeu Facts
- He started his career by playing at local CF Ulldecona.
- In 2004, he arrived at FC Barcelona’s youth academy and went on to progress through the club’s youth academy until breaking into the reserve team.
- In a friendly match against Kuwaiti team Kazma Sporting Club, Oriol Romeu got the opportunity to make his first appearance for the senior side. Afterward, he was included in the squad for the 2009 FIFA Club World Cup which took place in Abu Dhabi.
- On August 13, 2010, he made it into the nineteen-man Barcelona squad. This happened because of the need to rest some of Barcelona’s Spanish internationals.
- In the first leg of the season’s Spanish Supercup, he made his official competitive debut in a game against Sevilla Fútbol Club. He played the full ninety minutes in the 1–3 away loss.
- On May 15, 2011, Oriol Romeu made his debut La Liga appearance by playing the last ten minutes of a 0–0 home draw against Deportivo de La Coruña. He replaced another club youth graduate, Jonathan dos Santos.
- After reports of Romeu’s move to the English professional football club Chelsea started floating on July 22, 2011, he agreed on terms for his transfer (pending medical or personal terms as he was away on international duty at the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup) the next day.
- On August 4, 2011, the completion of his transfer to Chelsea was announced as he signed a four-year contract in a deal worth €5 million. The deal also gave Barcelona first refusal via a buyback option should Chelsea deem him surplus to requirements, seeing Barcelona pay €10 million in 2012 or €15 million in 2013 to bring him back to Camp Nou. He was given the number 6 shirt for the new campaign.
- On September 10, 2011, Oriol Romeu made his official debut for Chelsea as a substitute in the 79th minute of the 2–1 away win against Sunderland.
- Oriol Romeu made his first UEFA Champions League appearance on October 19, 2011, as he played full 90 minutes in a 5–0 group stage home win against K.R.C. Genk.
- On November 26, 2011, he made his Premier League debut in a match against Wolverhampton Wanderers. His side secured a stunning 3–0 home win.
- He represented his country at the 2012 Olympics.
- Oriol Romeu scored his first goal for Chelsea on September 25, 2012, taking a penalty in a 6–0 win against Wolves at Stamford Bridge for the season’s League Cup.
- In a game against Sunderland, he suffered a knee injury on December 11, 2012, and was sidelined for the rest of the season.
- He joined Valencia in a season-long loan deal on July 12, 2013, and went on to make his debut for the club on September 15, in a 3–1 defeat from Real Betis.
- Oriol Romeu suffered another knee injury while training in February 2014 and was kept out of action for a month.
- Romeu played a total of 18 games during his time with Valencia.
- He signed a new contract with Chelsea (keeping him at the club until 2017) on July 17, 2014, but was loaned to VfB Stuttgart in Germany on August 4, 2014. He subsequently made his debut in a 1–1 draw at Borussia Mönchengladbach.
- He signed a three-year deal with Southampton for £5 million on August 13, 2015, and debuted as a half-time substitute for Dušan Tadić in a 3–0 home defeat to Everton on August 15.
- He enjoys indulging in literature.
- Oriol Romeu has an autobiography titled La temporada de mi vida, el viaje interior de un futbolista (The season of my life, the inside voyage of a footballer).
Featured Image by jeollo von http://www.vfb-exklusiv.de / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0