|Peter Cushing Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 26, 1913|
|Date of Death||August 11, 1994|
Peter Cushing was an English actor and stage artist whose career spanned over 6 decades. He appeared in more than 100 films and gained popularity by playing Baron Frankenstein in 6 Frankenstein films and Doctor Van Helsing in 5 Dracula films. He gained global acclaim by appearing as Grand Moff Tarkin in the epic space opera film Star Wars (1977). His film credits also included From Beyond the Grave, The Beast Must Die, The Creeping Flesh, Nothing But the Night, Legend of the Werewolf, At the Earth’s Core, Trial by Combat, Land of the Minotaur, A Touch of the Sun, The Uncanny, Arabian Adventure, House of the Long Shadows, and Biggles: Adventures in Time.
Peter Wilton Cushing
He was born on May 26, 1913.
On August 11, 1994, Peter Cushing died of prostate cancer at the age of 81 in Canterbury, Kent, England, United Kingdom.
Seasalter Old Church, Seasalter, Kent, England, United Kingdom
Kenley, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
Peter Cushing got enrolled at Shoreham Grammar School in Shoreham-by-Sea but spent only one term there because he was homesick. He later studied at Purley County Grammar School.
He also attended the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London.
Actor, Stage Artist
- Father – George Edward Cushing (1881-1956) (Quantity Surveyor)
- Mother – Nellie Marie (née King) Cushing (1882-1961)
- Siblings – David Cushing (Older Brother)
- Others – Henry William Cushing (Paternal Grandfather) (Stage artist who toured with actor Henry Irving), Emily Day (Paternal Grandmother), David King (Maternal Grandfather) (Carpet Merchant), Esther Marriane Snelling (Maternal Grandmother), Maude Cushing (Paternal Aunt) (Stage Artist), Wilton Herriot (Step-Uncle) (Stage Artist)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $10 Million at the time of his death.
5 ft 11½ in or 181.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Peter Cushing had dated –
- Violet Hélène Beck (1943-1971) – He got married to Violet Hélène Beck on April 10, 1943. After his wife died of emphysema in 1971, he felt his life had ended as well and was quoted in the Radio Times in 1972 as having said, “Since Helen passed on I can’t find anything; the heart, quite simply, has gone out of everything. Time is interminable, the loneliness is almost unbearable and the only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that my dear Helen and I will be reunited again some day. To join Helen is my only ambition. You have my permission to publish that … really, you know, dear boy, it’s all just killing time. Please say that.”
Race / Ethnicity
Cushing was of English descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Gentle, polite, and charming demeanor
He never joined an organized religion after his wife’s death but maintained a belief in both God and an afterlife.
Peter Cushing Favorite Things
- One Of His Favorite Actors – Gary Cooper
- One Of His Own Favorite Films – Cash on Demand (1961)
Source – Wikipedia
Peter Cushing Facts
- He described his father as a reserved and uncommunicative man whom Peter said he never got to know very well.
- Although he grew up during wartime, he was too young to get affected by it and his mother also sued to encourage him to play games under the kitchen table whenever there was a threat of possible bombings.
- Since his early years, Peter Cushing suffered from nyctophobia (fear of the dark) but overcame this in his later years by forcing himself to take walks outside after midnight.
- His best friend was Christopher Lee.
- For most of his life, he followed vegetarianism.
- For his services to drama, Peter Cushing was awarded the OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 1989 Queen’s New Year Honours List.
Featured Image by Hammer / YouTube / Public Domain
Peter Cushing was 181.5 cm tall and heavier than 72 kg. Probably 75 kg.