|Gary Cooper Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||May 7, 1901|
|Date of Death||May 13, 1961|
Gary Cooper was an American actor and producer who was a major movie star from the end of the silent film era through to the end of the golden age of Classical Hollywood. One of the top 10 film personalities for 23 consecutive years and one of the top money-making stars for 18 years, the American Film Institute (AFI) ranked Gary Cooper at No. 11 on its list of the 25 greatest male stars of classic Hollywood cinema. He started his career as a film extra and stunt rider and went ahead to win the Academy Award for Best Actor twice and had a further 2 nominations, as well as receiving an Academy Honorary Award for his career achievements in 1961.
Frank James Cooper
Gary, Coop, Cowboy Cooper, The Montana Mule, Studs
He was born on May 7, 1901.
On May 13, 1961, Gary Cooper passed away due to prostate cancer at the age of 60 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Basilica of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, Southampton, New York, United States
Helena, Montana, United States
With his wife Veronica Balfe, he owned homes in the Los Angeles area in Encino (1933-36), Brentwood (1936-53), and Holmby Hills (1954-61), and owned a vacation home in Aspen, Colorado (1949-53).
He studied at Central Grade School in Helena. Then, he attended Dunstable Grammar School in Dunstable, Bedfordshire.
Later, he attended Johnson Grammar School in Helena, Helena High School, Gallatin County High School in Bozeman, Montana, Montana Agricultural College, and Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa.
- Father – Charles Henry Cooper (Lawyer, Rancher, Montana Supreme Court Justice; 1865-1946)
- Mother – Alice (née Brazier) (1873-1967)
- Siblings – Arthur Cooper (6-year Older Brother; 1895-1982)
- Others – John Gooding Cooper (Paternal Grandfather), Rebecca A. Freeman or Duncan (Paternal Grandmother), James Brazier (Maternal Grandfather), Sarah Emily Gullett or Langridge (Maternal Grandmother)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $100 Million.
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Gary Cooper had dated –
- Christine Larson
- Veronica Lake
- Dorothy Dare
- Anderson Lawler – RUMOR
- Suzy Parker
- Wera Engels
- Slim Hawks
- Barbara Weeks
- Mae Madison – RUMOR
- Clara Bow (1926-1928)
- Evelyn Brent (1927)
- Libby Holman (1928-1929)
- Lupe Velez (1929-1932)
- Marlene Dietrich (1930-1931) – The duo also worked together in the films Desire (1936) and Morocco (1930).
- Claudette Colbert (1930-1931) – They worked together in the film His Woman (1931).
- Tallulah Bankhead (1931-1932) – Both the actors were cast in the film Deep (1932).
- Carole Lombard (1931) – They worked together in I Take This Woman (1931).
- Dorothy Di Frasso (1931-1932)
- Veronica Balfe (1933-1951, 1953-1961) – On December 15, 1933, he married Veronica Balfe at her parents’ Park Avenue residence and their daughter Maria Veronica Cooper was born on September 15, 1937. The couple was legally separated on May 16, 1951, when Cooper moved out of their home but he then moved back into their home in November 1953. Their formal reconciliation occurred in February 1954 and they remained together until his death in 1961.
- Mae West (1933) – RUMOR
- Lilian Harvey (1933)
- Ingrid Bergman (1935) – They were cast in For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943) and Saratoga Trunk (1945).
- Merle Oberon (1938) – They were in The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) together.
- Paulette Goddard (1939-1946) – Both of them were in the movies North West Mounted Police (1940) and Unconquered (1947).
- Barbara Stanwyck (1940-1941) – They worked together in 3 films – Ball of Fire (1941), Blowing Wild (1953), and Meet John Doe (1941).
- Vera Zorina (1942)
- Arlene Dahl (1946)
- Patricia Neal (1948-1953) – They were cast in Bright Leaf (1950).
- Barbara Payton (1950)
- Annabella (1951)
- Kay Williams (1951)
- Lorraine Chanel (1952-1956)
- Anita Ekberg (1952)
- Eileen Howe (1952)
- Grace Kelly (1953) – They co-starred in High Noon (1952).
- Gisèle Pascal (1953)
- Alicia Darr (1953)
- Gina Lollobrigida (1956)
Race / Ethnicity
Gary Cooper was of English descent.
Salt and pepper
- Slow, very deliberate delivery
- Authentic acting style
Gary Cooper had done print adverts for –
- Insured Savings and Loan Associations
- Ammen’s Skin Powder
- Chesterfield cigarettes
- Calcx Tooth Powder
- Pabst Beer
- Royal Crown Cola
- Royal 76 gasoline
- Lucky Strike cigarettes
He was baptized in the Anglican Church in December 1911 in Britain.
Gary Cooper Facts
- He was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6243 Hollywood Boulevard on February 6, 1960.
- Gary Cooper was inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City in 1966 and was inducted into the Utah Cowboy and Western Heritage Hall of Fame in 2015.
- His hobbies included fishing, hunting, riding, swimming, and taxidermy.
- He often claimed that James Stewart was his closest friend.
Featured Image by Paramount Pictures / Flickr / Public Domain