|Queen Letizia of Spain Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||September 15, 1972|
|Spouse||Felipe VI of Spain|
Queen Letizia of Spain is the Queen of Spain since June 19, 2014, when her husband Felipe VI of Spain ascended the Spanish throne. Before marrying into the royal family, she was well-known in Spain as an award-winning journalist and had worked for renowned news outlets like Bloomberg, TVE, and CNN+. Since becoming Queen Letizia, she has devoted her time towards numerous charitable and social welfare causes and at the same time, has set fashion goals on all her official outings. She is considered the style icon of Spain and has won praises for mixing high-end designer pieces with trendy, budget-friendly brands like Mango and Zara.
Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano
Queen Letizia of Spain, Princess Letizia of Asturias, Leti
Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Prince’s Pavilion, Madrid, Spain
Letizia studied at the La Gesta School and Alfonso II High School in her hometown of Oviedo. After her family moved to Madrid, she attended the Ramiro de Maeztu High School.
She received a bachelor’s degree in Journalism from the Complutense University of Madrid. Furthermore, she graduated with a master’s degree in Audiovisual Journalism from the Institute for Studies in Audiovisual Journalism. She traveled to Mexico and began work on her Ph.D. but later discontinued her doctoral thesis and returned to Spain.
Queen of Spain
- Father – Jesús José Ortiz Álvarez (Journalist)
- Mother – María de la Paloma Rocasolano Rodríguez (Nurse)
- Siblings – Telma Ortiz Rocasolano (Younger Sister), Érika Ortiz Rocasolano (Younger Sister) (Literary Agent) (Died from suicide in 2007)
- Others – Ana Togores (Step-mother) (Journalist), José Luis Ortiz Velasco (Paternal Grandfather) (Worked at Olivetti), Maria Carmen “Menchu” Álvarez del Valle (Paternal Grandmother) (Radio Broadcaster), Francisco Julio Rocasolano Camacho (Maternal Grandfather) (Mechanic, Cab Driver), Enriqueta Rodríguez Figarredo/Figueredo (Maternal Grandmother), Juan Carlos I of Spain (Father-in-law) (Former King of Spain), Queen Sofía of Spain (Mother-in-law) (Former Queen of Spain), Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo (Sister-in-law), Jaime de Marichalar (Former Brother-in-law) (Ex-husband of Elena), Infanta Cristina of Spain (Sister-in-law), Iñaki Urdangarin (Brother-in-law) (Husband of Cristina) (Handball Player, Entrepreneur), Carla Vigo Ortiz (Niece) (Daughter of Érika), Amanda Martin (Niece) (Daughter of Telma)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Queen Letizia of Spain has dated –
- Alonso Guerrero Pérez (1988-1999) – Alonso Guerrero Pérez, a writer and high school teacher, was in a 10-year courtship with Letizia Ortiz since 1988. The long-term partners got married in a civil ceremony in Almendralejo, Badajoz on August 7, 1998. But within a year, their marriage began struggling and the couple filed for divorce in 1999.
- Fernando ‘Fher’ Olvera – Letizia got romantically involved with the vocalist of the Mexican rock band Maná, Fher Olvera, during the mid-1990s. Reportedly, the young journalist traveled to Mexico on a work assignment and fell for the musician after interviewing him.
- David Tejera (2001-2003) – In 2001, Letizia began a relationship with fellow colleague and sports broadcaster, David Tejera. The two soon moved in together but Letizia allegedly ended things with Tejera after meeting Felipe VI.
- Felipe VI of Spain (2002-Present) – Letizia formally met the future King of Spain at a dinner party arranged by their mutual friend Pedro Erquicia in 2002. But, their romance began when they met in Asturias, during the autumn of 2002, where Letizia was reporting on the sinking of the oil ship Prestige and Felipe was present to offer a helping hand to the affected people. After secretly dating for almost a year, the Royal Household announced their engagement on November 1, 2003, much to the surprise of the Spanish public. Felipe proposed to his girlfriend with a 16-baguette diamond engagement ring and in turn, Letizia gifted him a classic book and a pair of white gold and sapphire cufflinks. As Letizia’s first marriage was a civil union, an official annulment was not mandated in order to proceed ahead with the Catholic ceremony. Their wedding took place on May 22, 2004, at the Santa María la Real de la Almudena Cathedral and attracted huge media attention. The bride’s high-collared ivory gown was designed by Manuel Pertegaz and was fitted with a 15-foot-long train. It was matched by a sparkling platinum and diamond tiara, worn by Queen Sofia herself at her wedding in 1962. Soon after, the couple welcomed 2 daughters, Leonor, Princess of Asturias on October 31, 2005, and Infanta Sofía on April 29, 2007. At the time of her wedding, Letizia received the title of Princess of Asturias but, after the ascension of her husband on June 19, 2014, she became known as the Queen consort of Spain.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Hispanic and White)
She has Spanish (Aragonese, Castilian, Asturian, Cantabrian), distant French, and Catalan ancestry.
- Thin and wiry frame
- Impeccable fashion sense
Best Known For
- Being the Queen of Spain after her husband, Felipe VI of Spain inherited the throne on June 19, 2014
- Her slender physique, enviable looks, and flawless fashion sense that has undoubtedly made her one of the most glamorous European royals of her time
Queen Letizia made her feature film debut as ‘Herself’ in the comedy film ¡Hasta aquí hemos llegado! (So far we have come!) in 2002. However, her role was uncredited.
First TV Show
In 2000, Queen Letizia made her first TV show appearance as a ‘Hostess’ on the news show Informe Semanal (Weekly Report).
Queen Letizia is known to follow a Perricone diet which relies on anti-inflammatory foods like fresh salmon, green vegetables, and fresh fruits to give her body the required nutrients and energy. In addition, she also avoids sugar and fatty meats and starts her day with a 3-egg omelet for breakfast.
Queen Letizia of Spain Favorite Things
- Fashion Designers – Hugo Boss, Carolina Herrera
Source – PopSugar
Queen Letizia of Spain Facts
- Her parents got divorced in 1999, the same year her marriage to first husband Alonso Guerrero Pérez fell apart. Her father married journalist Ana Togores on March 18, 2004, nearly 2 months before her wedding to Felipe VI of Spain.
- According to unverified reports, her paternal lineage may be traced back to medieval nobility who served as the Constables of Castile.
- She shares her birthdate with Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex who was born 12 years after her on September 15, 1984.
- Queen Letizia underwent surgery on her nose in 2008 which, according to the palace, was to fix a respiratory problem.
- As a journalist, Queen Letizia was involved in covering ground-breaking news like the 9/11 attacks in New York in 2001 and the subsequent war in Iraq in 2003. She also traveled to Galicia to cover the ecological disaster that resulted from the sinking of the oil tanker, Prestige in 2002.
- In 2000, she received the Madrid Press Association’s Larra Award for ‘Most Accomplished Journalist under 30’.
- She is the first-ever Spanish Queen consort to hail from a non-aristocratic family. In addition, she is also the first Queen consort of Spanish origin since 1878 when King Alfonso XII married his first wife Mercedes of Orléans.
- In 1995, the young journalist met Cuban painter Waldo Saavedra in Mexico and became his muse. The artist painted a topless portrait of his crush called ‘La Maja’ which ended up on the back cover of the 1997 album Liquid Dreams by Maná (Mexican rock band). However, in 2014, Saavedra clarified that Letizia did not pose n**ed for him, insisting that the painting was a result of his imagination and artistic skills.
- The Spanish palace welcomed LGBTQ activists for the first time ever during the reign of King Felipe and Queen Letizia.
- Queen Letizia has been likened to Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge with whom she shares a few similarities. Both women were commoners before marrying into the royal family, are considered style icons in their own right, and have achieved popularity for reviving the monarchy with their accessible public image.
- Her sister Érika Ortiz committed suicide on February 7, 2007, after suffering from depression. Queen Letizia was 6 months pregnant with her 2nd child Sofia at that time.
- Queen Letizia has a keen interest in music and literature.
- In March 2016, the King and Queen of Spain came under fire for supporting businessman Javier Lopez Madrid after he was charged with corruption. Later, the palace officials clarified that their friendship had been severed in light of Madrid’s legal issues.
- In 2015, she was appointed as the Special Ambassador for Nutrition at the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.
- After her husband’s accession in 2014, their oldest daughter Leonor came to be the heir presumptive to the Spanish throne. In the event that Leonor gets crowned, she would become Spain’s first female monarch since Isabella II whose reign lasted from 1833 to 1868.
- In April 2018, a video of Queen Letizia acting hostile towards her mother-in-law Queen Sofia went viral. After attending the Easter Mass at the Palma Cathedral in Mallorca, the young queen was seen blocking her daughters from getting photographed with their grandmother. The tense exchange was quickly doused by King Felipe standing nearby.
- In December 2020, she delivered essential items and COVID-19 test kits to children while on a trip to San Pedro Sula, Honduras. She had visited the areas which were most affected by Hurricanes Eta and Iota.
- In 2022, after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine started, the queen sent Ukraine a huge shipment of weapons with grenade launchers among the Spanish sausages and wished Ukraine to win over Russia.
- Queen Letizia does not have any social media accounts.
Featured Image by Diego Sinova / Comunidad de Madrid / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.0