|Radhakishan Damani Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||August 16, 1954|
|Spouse||Shrikantadevi Radhakishan Damani|
Radhakishan Damani is an Indian investor and businessman who is best known as the founder of DMart (registered as Avenue Supermarts Ltd.), an Indian retail corporation that operates a chain of hypermarkets in India. The 2017 IPO (Initial Public Offering) of the company had made him one of the richest men in India after a blockbuster opening had seen the company’s shares being listed at a premium of 102.14% on an offer price of INR 299. After the close of the stock on March 22, 2017, its market value had risen to INR 39,988 crores, making it the 65th most valuable Indian firm. In the middle of August 2021, as per the Bloomberg Billionaire Index (a daily ranking of the world’s top 500 richest people), he had broken into the club of the ‘100 Richest People in the World’, entering at number 98. This was attributed to the fact that DMart was among the very few Indian companies that had consistently churned out profits during the COVID-19 pandemic. As of January 2022, DMart was operating more than 200 stores across India.
Radhakishan S. Damani
RD, The Retail King of India, Mr. White and White
Bikaner, Rajasthan, India
Altamount Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Radhakishan, after his high school graduation, had joined the University of Mumbai, a collegiate public state university in Mumbai. He had studied commerce there but had dropped out after one year.
- Father – Shivkishanji Damani (Deceased)
- Siblings – Gopikishan Shivkishan Damani (Brother) (Investor, Businessman)
In 2021, Radhakishan Damani had a net worth of $16.5 billion according to Forbes.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Radhakishan has dated –
- Shrikantadevi Radhakishan Damani – Through his long-term marriage to Shrikantadevi, Radhakishan has 3 daughters named Manjri Chandak (Business Executive, Director at Avenue Supermarts Ltd.), Jyoti Kabra, and Madhu Chandak.
Race / Ethnicity
- Mildly stocky frame
- Receding hairline
- Sports a mustache
Radhakishan Damani Facts
- After dropping out of the University of Mumbai, Radhakishan used to operate a ball bearing business. It was only after the death of his father, who used to work on Dalal Street (the address of the Bombay Stock Exchange), that he had decided to become a stock market broker and investor.
- He had made his first profits by short-selling stocks (trading in such a way that the trader profits if the value of the share falls) that had been inflated by illegal means by the notorious stockbroker Harshad Mehta in the early 1990s.
- Radhakishan was also, reportedly, the largest individual shareholder of HDFC Bank (which went on to become India’s largest private sector bank by assets and the world’s 10th largest bank by market capitalization, by April 2021) after it went public in 1995.
- He had quit the stock market in 2000 and had started his hypermarket chain called DMart. Its first store was established in Powai, an upscale residential neighborhood in central Mumbai, in 2002.
- His habit of often making his public appearances (which are rather rare) in a white shirt and white trousers has earned him the nickname ‘Mr. White and White’.
- In August 2022, it was revealed that Radhakishan Damani would be the main trustee of veteran investor Rakesh Jhunjhunwala‘s estate, post his untimely demise.
Featured Image by Radhakishan Damani / Instagram