|Raul Julia Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||March 9, 1940|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Raul Julia was a Puerto Rican actor and theatre artist who has left behind a legacy of international fame and acclaim for his extensive contribution to cinema as well as for his tireless humanitarian efforts towards a number of causes, especially related to the Hispanic community.
Raúl Rafael Juliá y Arcelay
He was born on March 9, 1940.
On October 24, 1994, Raul Julia died at the age of 54 in Manhasset, Nassau County, New York, United States due to terminal complications from the stroke.
Buxeda Cemetery, Cupey, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Floral Park, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Raul Julia studied at Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola, an all-male, Catholic, Jesuit, college-preparatory school, and then attended Fordham University for a year.
After that, he got enrolled at the University of Puerto Rico and became a member of Phi Sigma Alpha Fraternity. Eventually, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree.
Actor, Theatre Artist
- Father – Raúl Juliá González (Electrical engineer graduated from Tri-State University)
- Mother – Olga Arcelay Colmenero (Mezzo-soprano who sang in a church choir)
- Siblings – Maria Eugenia Juliá (Younger Sister), Olga Maria Juliá (Younger Sister). Raul Julia also had 4 younger brothers.
- Others – Carlos F. Juliá Dávila (Paternal Grandfather), Pedro Fructoso Juliá Prado (Paternal Great Grandfather), Serafina Dávila Santana (Paternal Great Grandmother), María González (Paternal Grandmother), Rafael Simon Ricardo Alfonso Arcelay de la Rosa (Maternal Grandfather), Ricardo Arcelay Ríos (Maternal Great Grandfather), Isabel de la Rosa Turull (Maternal Great Grandmother), Consuelo /Consuela Cabinero /Cavinero Jackson de Arcelay (Maternal Grandmother), Ramón Cabinero /Cavinero (Maternal Great Grandfather), Julia Jackson (Maternal Great Grandmother), María González (Great Aunt) (Musician)
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Raul Julia had dated –
- Magda Vasallo (1965-1969) – He married Magda Vasallo in the year 1965 but the duo eventually divorced after a few years in 1969.
- Merel Poloway (1976-1994) – In 1976, Raul Julia married actress Merel Poloway and the couple remained together until the time of Raul’s death. Also, the duo was blessed with 2 sons, namely, Raul and Benjamin.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (Hispanic and Black)
Raul Julia was of Puerto Rican as well as African-Dominican Republic descent.
- High cheekbones
- Attractive personality
Raul Julia did print ads for Puerto Rico Tourism Board in 1989.
He was raised in a Catholic household.
Raul Julia Favorite Things
- One Of His Favorite Actors – José Ferrer
Source – Wikipedia
Raul Julia Facts
- He made his first credited theatrical film appearance by playing the role of Marco in the American romantic drama film, The Panic in Needle Park, in 1971.
- In 1985, he starred as Valentin Arregui in the Brazilian-American drama film, Kiss of the Spider Woman, alongside the likes of William Hurt, Sonia Braga, and Denise Dumont. For this role, Raul Julia won the National Board of Review award for “Best Actor” (shared with William Hurt).
- He became the first man to win the Emmy Award and the Golden Globe posthumously.
- During the course of his career, Raul Julia appeared in several shows and movies like The Burning Season, The Addams Family, Moon Over Parador, and Down Came a Blackbird.
Featured Image by Movie Studio / eBay / Public Domain