|Ray Liotta Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||December 18, 1954|
|Date of Death||May 26, 2022|
Ray Liotta was an American actor and film producer who had been featured in numerous films and TV series in an illustrious acting career that began in 1980. He was most well known for playing the real-life character of mobster Henry Hill in the iconic crime drama film Goodfellas (1990). For portraying the character of Ray Sinclair in just his 2nd feature film, Something Wild (1986), he received his first Golden Globe nomination in the category of “Best Supporting Actor-Moton Picture”. Ray was inducted into the ‘New Jersey Hall of Fame’ in 2016 in the Performance Arts category.
Raymond Allen Liotta
Ray was born on December 18, 1954.
Ray died at the age of 67 on May 26, 2022, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, while he was sleeping. At that time, he was busy filming his new movie Dangerous Waters. In May 2023, it was revealed that “respiratory insufficiency, pulmonary edema, and acute heart failure” were the causes of his death.
Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, United States
Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, California, United States
Ray graduated from Union High School in New Jersey in 1973. He then got enrolled at the University of Miami where he studied acting and graduated in 1978 with a degree in fine arts.
Actor, Voice Actor, Film Producer
- Father – Alfred Liotta (Adoptive) (Auto-Parts Store Owner)
- Mother – Mary Liotta (Adoptive) (Township Clerk) (d. 1990)
- Siblings – He had a sister.
- Others – Linda Liotta (Adopted Sister). He had a half-brother and 5 half-sisters.
He was represented by Sharron Elkabas, Booking Agent, MN2S Talent Agency, Miami, Florida, United States.
6 ft or 183 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ray Liotta had dated –
- Vicky Dawson
- Susan Keith (1980)
- Heidi Von Beltz (1981-1982)
- Michelle Johnson (1991)
- Sherrie Rose (1991-1992)
- Michelle Grace (1997–2004) – Ray had first met actress Michelle Grace at one of her former husband Mark Grace’s professional baseball matches. The couple got married in February 1997 and co-starred in the 1998 TV movie The Rat Pack. They had a daughter together named Karsen Liotta (b. December 1998) (Actress). The pair eventually got divorced in 2004.
- Donna Puzio (2003-2004)
- Jill Marie Jones (2006)
- Catherine Hickland (2007-2011)
- Jacy Nittolo (2020-2022) – He started dating Jacy Nittolo in 2020 and the couple announced their engagement in December 2020. The relationship ended as a result of Ray’s sudden death in May 2022.
Race / Ethnicity
He was of Scottish and distant Italian descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Mildly stocky frame
- Smoldering eyes
- Clean-shaven look
- Puffy face
- Short-cropped, wavy hair
Ray had served as the spokesperson for pharma giant Pfizer’s Chantix (medication used to treat nicotine addiction) campaign.
He had been featured in the TV commercials for brands such as –
- K-Tel’s ‘Love Songs of the Fifties’
- Heineken Lager (UK) (2004)
- Jose Cuervo 1800 Tequila (2013)
- Apple Music (2016)
- Chantix (2018)
Ray Liotta Favorite Things
- Hobby/Interest – Horseback Riding
- Soccer Club – Tottenham Hotspur
- Movie – The Godfather Part II (1974)
- Sport – Basketball
- Sandwich Ingredients – Ham, Cheese, Salami, Hot Mustard
- Adventure Sport – Scuba Diving
- Animal – Turtle
Ray Liotta Facts
- Born in New Jersey, Ray was adopted at the age of 6 months by Alfred Liotta, a son of Italian immigrants and his wife Mary.
- He was aware of his adoption as a young schoolboy and had even presented a show-and-tell report on it for his kindergarten class.
- The ‘Liotta’ last name and the frequency with which he played Italian-American characters gave rise to the myth that he was of Italian descent. However, after tracking down his biological mother in the late 2000s, Ray came to know that his biological ancestry is primarily Scottish.
- While at college, Ray acted in several musicals such as Cabaret, Dames at Sea, Oklahoma, and Sound of Music. After completing his college studies, he moved to New York City and began working as a bartender at the renowned Shubert Theatres.
- A few months later, he landed an agent and landed the role of Joey Perrini in the soap opera titled Another World. He played the role from 1978 to 1981 and then moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in films.
- For his portrayal of the legendary singer Frank Sinatra in the 1998 TV movie The Rat Pack, he earned a Screen Actors Guild nomination.
- Ray voiced the protagonist and playable character Tommy Vercetti in the 2002 video game titled Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. For his performance, he won the G-Phoria Award for ‘Best Male Voice Performance’ and the Spike Video Game Award for ‘Best Performance’.
- He was inducted into his alma mater Union High School’s ‘Hall of Fame’ during the 1992-1993 school year.
- Ray was the first choice to portray the character of Harvey Dent in director Tim Burton‘s film Batman (1989). However, he turned down the offer so that he could work in Goodfellas (1990).
- He was also Martin Scorsese‘s first choice to play the role of Sergeant Dignam in the 2006 crime drama film The Departed. He had to decline the offer as he had other work commitments at that time. The role eventually fell in the lap of Mark Wahlberg.
- He was left-handed.
- He was initially offered the role of Ralphie in The Sopranos. However, he turned it down and the role was eventually played by Joe Pantoliano.
- In February 2023, Ray was honored with a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Featured Image by gdcgraphics / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0