|Renee Fleming Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||February 14, 1959|
Renee Fleming is a renowned soprano and opera singer born in Indiana, Pennsylvania and raised in New York. Fleming is famous for her full lyric soprano voice and high-quality vocal texture. She has sung several genres including Jazz, Chansons along with Indie Rock. Moreover, in 1993, she became a member of the International Music Fraternity For Women known as “Sigma Alpha Iota“.
She has hosted various radio broadcasts such as Metropolitan Opera’s Live. Fleming has released more than 10 CDs, one of which also contains an assortment of Bjork songs. During her days in Juilliard School, Renee used to perform in Jazz clubs to pay her tuition fee. After graduating, in the 1980s, the opera singer started performing in smaller local concerts with small opera companies. She gained prominence at the age of 29 after winning Metropolitan Opera Auditions.
Renée Lynn Fleming
The People’s Diva
Indiana, Pennsylvania, U.S.
New York City, New York, U.S.
Renee went to Churchville-Chili High School.
She then did her Master’s degree in music at Crane School of Music (1983) at the State University of New York at Potsdam and did Bachelor degree in music from Eastman School of Music (1981), Rochester, New York.
Fleming then attended Juilliard School from 1983 to 1987. She also went to Aspen Music Festival and School.
- Father – Renee’s father was a voice teacher.
- Mother – Her mother was a voice teacher.
She is represented by –
- IMG Artists
- Untitled Entertainment
She also has some experience in jazz, Indie Rock and Chansons.
Renee Fleming has launched various CDs and albums under Decca Records since 1995. In addition to all this, Decca Records also launched her book titled “The Art of Renee Fleming”.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Fleming has dated –
- Rick Ross (1989-2000) – Fleming got married to actor Rick Ross in 1989 and has 2 daughters. But in 2000, the couple got separated.
- Tim Jessell (2011-Present) – After splitting from her former husband in 2000, Renee then met Tim who is a corporate lawyer. Their meeting was arranged through a blind date by Ann Patchett, a famous author. The couple officially got married on September 3, 2011.
Race / Ethnicity
Big eyes and smile
Best Known For
Her vocal texture and soprano voice
Renée released her first album Donizetti: Rosmonda d’Inghilterra via Opera Rara in 1994.
Fleming’s first theatrical film appearance was in the movie Bride of the Wind in 2001 where she played Frances Alda.
First TV Show
Renee made her first TV show appearance in 1994 in Tales from the Opera (Documentary Mini-Series) and Great Performances (Music Series).
Renee Fleming prefers to eat low-carbohydrate and low-fat diet. She consumes green vegetables and fresh fruits along with berries, and soy-based proteins in her daily diet.
Renee Fleming Favorite Things
- Cities – Paris, London, Vienna
- Opera Houses – Palais Garnier (Paris), Royal Opera House (London)
- Museums – Museum Of Modern Art in D.C., Smithsonian
- Designers – Vivienne Westwood and Angel Sanchez
Source – The New York Times
Renee Fleming Facts
- Renee Fleming is fluent in various languages like German, French, and Italian.
- In 2004, Renee released her memoir, The Inner Voice: The Making Of A Singer.
- She gave her voice to the soundtrack of the film The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in 2002.
- Fleming has also worked in the German documentary film Richard Strauss und seine Heldinnen (2014).
- Renee has sung music tracks with other musical genres also like Jazz which contains albums like Haunted Heart (2005) and Love Sublime (2006) whereas the Indie Rock collection holds albums such as Dark Hope (2010).
- In 1999, Renee Fleming won her first Grammy award for her album The Beautiful Voice.
- In 2000, Chef Daniel Boulud named a dessert after Renée Fleming due to her melodious voice quality.
- Renee was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Arts from Northwestern University on June 22, 2018.
- Illinois Jacquet, the famous Jazz saxophonist, once offered Renee a musical tour with his band but she refused him in order to continue her graduation.
- She received a Fulbright Scholarship which gave her a chance to work with Joyce Arleen Auger and Elisabeth Friederike Schwarzkopf in Europe.
- In the 1980s, she started to work as a professional opera singer with small opera companies. With time, she also started performing in the clubs and other opera houses in New York City and London.
- Visit Renee Fleming’s official website @ reneefleming.com.
- Follow Renee Fleming on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.
Featured Image by Bill Ebbesen / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0