|Sam Champion Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||August 13, 1961|
Sam Champion is an American weather anchor and TV host, best known for his multi-decade career on ABC’s TV station WABC-TV, starting in 1988. Before he joined WABC-TV, he had also worked on WPSD-TV and WJKS (WCWJ) TV stations and then joined ABCS’s Eyewitness News as a New York Weatherman in 1988. Around 10 years later, Sam joined ABC’s Good Morning America news TV show for the 1st time on October 1, 1998, and then again on January 18, 1999, and December 31, 1999, as an Interim/Substitute Weather Anchor. It wasn’t until August 10, 2006, that Sam was officially transferred to ABC News, and joined Good Morning America as Weather Anchor, and remained there until December 4, 2013. 2 days earlier, on December 2, Sam made an announcement that he would become an on-air presence and managing editor for The Weather Channel, and part with ABC, and was replaced immediately by Ginger Zee.
At TWC, he was given his own morning show, America’s Morning Headquarters, in which he appeared between March 17, 2014, and September 2015, and was then made into a contributor for other primetime programs on TWC. At the end of 2016, Sam and TWC made a mutual decision not to renew his contract, and he left on December 27, 2016. From that point on, ABC hired him on-need basis, 1st as a replacement for Ginger when she was on maternity leave, and as a guest or substitute meteorologist and weather anchor. On May 22, 2019, Sam made an official comeback to WABC-TV and appeared in both morning and noon newscasts. He was also given a permanent ABC News Contributor title starting on June 3, 2019. Sam has also garnered a large fanbase online with more than 600k followers on Twitter and more than 300k followers on Facebook.
Samuel James Champion
Paducah, Kentucky, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Sam graduated from Fairfax High School in Fairfax, Virginia, United States in 1979.
He then enrolled in Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Kentucky, United States, and received his bachelor’s degree in broadcast news from there.
Weather Anchor, TV Host
- Father – James H. Champion (Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps) (Deceased, October 25, 2010)
- Mother – Sylvia Champion
- Siblings – Teresa Champion (Sister)
Sam Champion is represented by –
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA) (Talent Agent) in Los Angeles, California, United States
- United Talent Agency (UTA) (Talent Agent) in New York City, New York, United States
6 ft or 183 cm
As per a tweet by Sam to Healthy Celeb, he is 6 ft tall and weighs around 200 lbs.
91 kg or 200.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sam Champion has dated –
- Rubem Robierb (2012-Present) – After several years of dating, Sam publicly announced his wedding to the Brazilian photographer and artist in October 2012. The two got married on December 21, 2012. In addition, both of them were long-time activists for equal marriage. For their support of the LGBT community and fight for the sexual preference acceptance cause, both Rubem and Sam received a Visibility Award at the Gala Dinner of Atlanta fundraiser in Atlanta, Georgia, United States in 2013.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of American descent.
Due to his advancing age, Sam’s hair color has turned ‘Salt and Pepper.’
- Tall Height
- Athletic Physique
Sam has supported or promoted organizations or causes such as –
- Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Point Foundation LGBT
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)
- March of Dimes NYC WalkAmerica
- Stopping AIDS Together
- Cancer Awareness Month (May)
Best Known For
- His role of a Weather Anchor on Good Morning America (2006-2013), and then ABC News Weather Contributor starting in 2018
- Hosting his own show, America’s Morning Headquarters (2014-2015)
- His social media fanbase with more than 600k followers on Twitter and more than 300k followers on Facebook
First TV Show
Sam Champion made his first TV show appearance as N.Y. Weatherman in an episode of the news series, Eyewitness News in 1988.
Sam has been working out for the majority of his life, which is evident from his athletic physique. He’s also a firm believer that “abs are made in the kitchen” and believes that working out without a proper diet will not yield satisfying result and lower body fat, no matter how intense. In early August 2019, Sam reported that he adopted a Vaca diet, and used to eat a bowl mix of different vegetables before entering the studio. Sam also drinks coffee multiple times a day and often takes a cup with him while traveling.
His personal trainer, Marco Seijas, who he hired around 2017, often switches his workout based on his energy, time, and fitness goals. Sam has shared a plethora of exercises he uses as a staple to his regime in the gym. Before and after every workout, he stretches carefully to avoid injury. His trainer has also taught him a series of important hip strengthening and mobility exercises so that he can keep the vitality of his joints, ligaments, and prevent overtraining and muscle ache.
Sam admitted to suffering from muscle tightness and low mobility due to arthritis but dedicated the year of 2019 to improving upon his lower back pain and hip pain using no pain medication. For that reason, he incorporated slow, controlled push-ups while squeezing his abs and glutes and in perfect form instead of quick repetitions. This was also true for 1-handed back rows which have strengthened his lats and lower back and eliminated pain. For cardio, Sam typically does a lot of cycling on the riverbank so that he can enjoy the view.
Sam Champion Facts
- He, alongside the movie critic Frank DeCaro, hosted the 2002 Courage Awards organized by New York City Project.
- Sam was an intern at WKYT-TV in Lexington, Kentucky, United States.
- Sam got his basal cell carcinoma removed on-air in May 2010 in honor of the Skin Cancer Awareness Month.
- He uses hashtags #firstawake and #bringcoffee to hype up his fanbase for the morning news TV show.
- Sam never hid that he was gay, and was openly gay back in 1988 when he joined WABC-TV.
- His dad, a 6 ft 4 in or 193 cm tall Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel was not supportive of him being gay, was very harsh to him, and the two stopped speaking for a while. However, when his dad was diagnosed with 3 cancers, they reconciled. Sam was able to finally hear the words he always wanted to hear from his dad: ‘I’m so proud of the man that you became,” before he passed away in 2010. It was also his favorite minute with his dad.
- He typically started his 30-second weathercasts by saying: “Let’s get to the boards.”
- Sam’s trademark catchphrase for breaking ABC news and weather reports was usually: “That’s the weather around the nation. Here’s what you can expect this morning.”
- Between 2012 and 2014, Sam hosted a TV show named Sea Rescue, dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of endangered or hurt animals back into the wildlife.
- He had a cameo in the well-known comedy TV series Sesame Street in 2013.
- His husband surprised him with breakfast and orange juice in bed for his birthday in 2019.
- Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
Featured Image by Sam Champion / Instagram