|Sam Esmail Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||September 17, 1977|
Sam Esmail is an American producer, director, and screenwriter who is best known as the creator, writer, and director of the drama thriller TV series Mr. Robot (2015–2019), and the director and producer of the acclaimed psychological thriller TV series Homecoming (2018–2020).
Hoboken, Hudson County, New Jersey, United States
He splits his time between New York City, New York, United States, and Los Angeles, California, United States.
Sam had attended a high school in Summerville, South Carolina, before eventually graduating from the Washington Township High School, a public school in Gloucester County, New Jersey, in 1995. He had then joined the New York University, a private research university in New York City to study film and computer science.
Sam had graduated from the Tisch School of the Arts, the university’s performing, cinematic, and media arts school, in 1998. He had moved to Los Angeles in 2001 where he had attended the AFI (American Film Institute) Conservatory, a private not-for-profit graduate film school in the Hollywood Hills district. He had graduated from there in 2004, with a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in directing.
Producer, Director, Screenwriter
- Siblings – Samer Esmail (Younger Brother) (TV Post-Production Coordinator). He has another younger brother and an older sister.
- Others – Cheryl Rossum (Mother-in-Law) (Corporate Photographer)
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sam has dated –
- Emmy Rossum (2013-Present) – Sam had started dating actress and singer-songwriter Emmy Rossum in October 2013, and they got engaged in August 2015. Sam had directed Emmy in his feature film directorial debut, Comet (2014). On May 28, 2017, the couple got married in a ceremony at a Reform synagogue in New York City. Emmy gave birth to their first child together, a daughter, on May 24, 2021. On April 5, 2023, the couple welcomed a baby boy at 10:40 am.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Egyptian descent.
- Lanky frame
- Short-cropped, curly hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a light stubble or a rugged beard
Sam Esmail Facts
- Born to Egyptian immigrant parents in Hoboken, New Jersey, Sam’s family had moved to South Carolina when he was 5 years old and later to Charlotte, North Carolina before eventually settling down in Sewell, New Jersey.
- He was quite enthused with technology in his childhood. He had been gifted a computer when he was 9 years old and had started computer programming a couple of years later.
- When he was 20 years old, he had raised USD 6 million in venture capital funding, during the dot-com boom, but the software that he had created had soon become outdated. This was because broadband internet had rapidly started replacing dial-up connections.
- While attending the New York University, he had been put on academic probation for hacking emails in the institution’s computer lab.
- After graduating from there, he had worked for a short while for an internet start-up, before founding his own ISP (Internet Service Provider) software company known as Portal Vision. He had left his position as president and CTO of the company to briefly attend a creative writing program, a precursor to his eventual career as a screenwriter and film director.
Featured Image by Sam Esmail / Instagram