|Sam Waterston Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||November 15, 1940|
|Spouse||Lynn Louisa Woodruff|
Sam Waterston is an American actor, voiceover artist, stage actor, producer, and director who is best known for his critically acclaimed performances in several shows and movies like Forrest Bedford in I’ll Fly Away, Sydney Schanberg in The Killing Fields, Jack McCoy in Law & Order, Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby, Tom Wingfield in The Glass Menagerie, and Sol Bergstein in Grace and Frankie.
Samuel Atkinson Waterston
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
He divides his time between –
- Connecticut, United States
- Mattapoisett, Massachusetts, United States (Summer home)
Sam Waterston studied at Brooks School and the Groton School in Massachusetts. Afterward, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Yale University in 1962.
Additionally, he also attended the Clinton Playhouse, the Sorbonne, and the American Actors Workshop.
Actor, Voiceover Artist, Stage Actor, Producer, Director
- Father – George Chychele Waterston (Semanticist and Language Teacher)
- Mother – Alice Tucker (née Atkinson) (Landscape Painter)
- Siblings – Roberta Waterston (Sister), George Waterston (Brother), Ellen Waterston (Sister)
Sam Waterston is represented by –
- Industry Entertainment Productions, LLC, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Agence Anne Alvares Correa, Talent Agency, Paris, France
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sam Waterston has dated –
- Barbara Rutledge-Johns (1963-1975) – They parent a son named James Waterston (b. January 17, 1969) who has established himself as a film, stage, and television actor.
- Lynn Louisa Woodruff (1975-Present) – He is married to former model Lynn Louisa Woodruff and they have been blessed with 3 children – daughters named Elisabeth Waterston (b. March 30, 1977) and Katherine Waterston (b. March 3, 1980) and a son named Graham Waterston (b. April 29, 1983).
Race / Ethnicity
Sam Waterston is of English and Scottish descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Has frequently been cast as Abraham Lincoln and other Presidents of the United States
- Deep-set eyes
He has done endorsement work for brands like AT&T, TD Waterhouse, TDAmeritrade, etc.
Sam Waterston Facts
- His father migrated from Leith, Scotland.
- He starred as Sydney Schanberg in the 1984 British biographical drama film, The Killing Fields, and his excellent performance got him nominated for the 1985 Academy Award for “Best Actor”.
- For his portrayal of Forrest Bedford in the television drama series, I’ll Fly Away, Sam Waterston won the 1993 Golden Globe Award for “Best Actor – Television Series Drama”.
- He shared a friendly bond with the legendary Hong Kong American artist Bruce Lee.
- Sam Waterston was honored with the 2,397th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on January 7, 2010.
- He once said, “If I have to be typecast, I’d like it to be Abraham Lincoln.”
Featured Image by Dominick D / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0