|Sebastian Baez Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||December 28, 2000|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Sebastian Baez is an Argentine professional tennis player who achieved a career-high ATP singles ranking of world No. 30 on April 17, 2023.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Fausto Baez
- Mother – Silvia Freire
- Siblings – Joselin Baez (Sister), Daniel Sebastian Baez (Brother)
Right-handed (two-handed backhand)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Through social media, Sebastian Baez has either endorsed or promoted brands such as ISDIN Argentina.
Sebastian Baez Facts
- At the 2021 Chile Open, he made his ATP debut against 2019 Junior French Open champion Holger Vitus Nødskov Rune and lost in straight sets.
- At the 2021 Hamburg European Open, Sebastian Baez registered his first tour-level win as he defeated Frenchman Corentin Moutet in the first round.
- He achieved the feat of becoming the youngest player in history to claim five ATP Challenger Tour titles in a season, lifting the trophy in Concepcion, Chile (defeating Francisco Cerúndolo) in February 2021; Santiago, Chile (defeating Marcelo Tomás Barrios Vera) in March 2021; Zagreb, Croatia (defeating Juan Pablo Varillas) in May 2021; Santiago-3, Chile (defeating Felipe Meligeni Rodrigues Alves) in October 2021; and Buenos Aires, Argentina (defeating Thiago Monteiro) in October 2021.
- After the withdrawal of Jenson Brooksby due to an abdominal injury, he qualified for the 2021 Next Generation ATP Finals in Milan and subsequently advanced to the semi-finals after defeating third seed Lorenzo Musetti and eighth seed Hugo Gaston. However, he later lost to top seed Carlos Alcaraz Garfia.
- After he secured his sixth Challenger win in Campinas, Brazil, Baez reached the top 100 for the first time in his career at World No. 97 in the ATP year-end rankings on November 22, 2021.
- He started the 2022 season with the 2022 Melbourne Summer Set 1 as he lost in the final round of qualifying and got in the main draw as a lucky loser. He was then defeated by Emil Ruusuvuori in straight sets in the first round.
- He entered the 2022 Sydney International as a qualifier and defeated Christopher O’Connell in three sets, before losing to Lorenzo Sonego in the second round.
- He went on to make his debut at the 2022 Australian Open by defeating Albert Ramos Viñolas and secured his first Grand Slam win in his career. He then faced a top-10 opponent, World No. 4 Stefanos Tsitsipas, for the first time in his career in the second round and lost in four sets.
- On January 31, 2022, Sebastian Baez entered the top 80 at World No. 77.
- At the 2022 Córdoba Open, he managed to reach his first ATP-level quarterfinal after defeating Fernando Verdasco and World No. 18 and third seed Cristian Garín.
- He participated in the 2022 Chile Open as the 7th seed and this marked the first time he was seeded in an ATP tournament. He subsequently reached his debut ATP Tour final, defeating Juan Pablo Varillas, Juan Ignacio Londero, Thiago Monteiro, and Albert Ramos-Viñolas in the semis. He was then defeated by Pedro Martínez in the final. Following this, he reached the top 60 on March 7, 2022.
- After defeating third seed Frances Tiafoe at the 2022 Estoril Open, Sebastian Baez won his first title and moved into the top 40 on May 2, 2022.
- He debuted at the 2022 French Open and at the 2022 Wimbledon Championships and went on to win his first match at each of the Majors, defeating Dusan Lajovic and Taro Daniel respectively.
- At the Córdoba Open in Córdoba, Argentina, Baez won the second title of his career in February 2023.
- On April 17, 2023, he reached the top 30 in the rankings after the 2023 Monte-Carlo Masters.
Featured Image by si.robi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0