|Song Hye-kyo Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||November 22, 1981|
Song Hye-kyo is a South Korean actress. She started her career in 1995 with a small role in a high school drama TV show called “New Generation Report: Adults Don’t Know”. She is known for her work in “Worlds Within”, “Autumn in My Heart”, “That Winter, the Wind Blows”, etc. Apart from doing acting in films and TV shows, she has released her own photo books, sang a song, appeared in several music videos, and appeared on radio shows.
Hae-gyo Song, Hui-qiao Song
Dalseo District, Daegu, South Korea
Itaewon-dong, Seoul, South Korea
Song attended the Sejong University and graduated with a degree in Film Arts.
Actress, model, singer
- Father – Song Dae-Seob
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – None
Song is represented by United Artists Agency.
5 ft 3½ in or 161.5 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Song Hye-kyo has dated –
- Lee Byung-hun (2003-2004) – Hye-kyo first met actor Byung-hun while shooting for the 2003 drama, All In where they played onscreen lovers. At that time, Song was just starting out in the industry and Lee was already an established actor and her senior by many years. They made their relationship public in April 2003 and just over a year later in June 2004, they announced their break-up.
- Hyun Bin (2009-2011) – Actors Song and Hyun Bin worked together in 2008 in the TV series, Worlds Within where they played a romantic couple. In August 2009, they confirmed the rumors that they were dating since June. But their relationship was short-lived as Bin got enlisted in the Marines and they called it quits on their time together in early 2011. Their respective agencies confirmed the break-up in March 2011.
- Song Joong-ki (2016-Present) – Hye-kyo and fellow actor Song Joong-ki starred in the romantic comedy series Descendants of the Sun in 2016. On June 5, 2017, their respective agencies announced that the two were engaged. Both the actors sent out a public announcement to their fans apologizing for the secrecy and the sudden announcement of their wedding while seeking their blessings for this new chapter in their lives. Their wedding which took place at Youngbingwan, Hotel Shilla in Seoul on October 31, 2017, garnered intense media interest across Asia. Among the attendees were actors Lee Kwang-soo, Yoo Ah-in, and Park Bo-gum who played the piano at the couple’s reception.
Race / Ethnicity
- Petite body frame
- Soft facial features
Song Hye-kyo has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Star 1 Magazine
- Litmus (Clothing Line)
- Icis 8.0 (Mineral Water)
- Korea and Seoul Tourism
- Shilla Duty-Free
- Dyson (2017)
- Clride (Clothing Line)
- Vivien (Lingerie Brand)
- L&C Wells (Water Purifier)
- BC Card (Credit Card)
- Dios (LG)
- Etude (Cosmetics)
- KTFT-Ever (Cellphones)
- Nintendo DS
- Hyundai Oilbank
- Lady Forever
- VK Mobile (Cellphones)
- Woongjin (Food Products)
- Orion (Food Products)
- Samsung Auction
- Smart (School Uniform)
She hasn’t spoken about her religious views publicly.
Best Known For
Being a successful and critically acclaimed actress on Korean television with dramas like Autumn in My Heart (2000), Full House (2004), and Descendants of the Sun (2016).
As a Singer
She sang a duet with musician John Park (American singer of Korean descent) in 2012 titled “Switch: Be White” for Laneige ads.
Song made her theatrical film debut with the 2005 romantic film My Girl and I as Bae Su-eun.
First TV Show
She made her first TV show appearance in the show New Generation Report: Adults Don’t Know in 1995.
Song is blessed with a petite frame that does not require much work by the way of exercise. However, to keep herself in shape and fit, she works out by hitting the gym 4 times a week. She also follows a 20-minute stretching exercise before and after her workouts. Her stretching exercise includes touching her toes without bending knees. She prefers to relax after working out with a warm bath with scented herbs like lavender that help chase away fatigue and stress.
For her diet, she chooses fish and vegetables over meat and avoids fast food and soft drinks. She also begins her day by drinking 2 glasses of water on an empty stomach and consumes 1.5 liters of water every day to keep her skin glowing.
Song Hye-kyo Favorite Things
- Laneíge Product – Laneíge Power Essential Skin Toner
- Korean Dish – Pumpkin Soup
- Color – Blue, White
Source – International Business Times, K-Popped
Song Hye-kyo Facts
- In 2017, she made into Forbes magazine’s “Korea Power Celebrity” list at the 7th spot.
- Her Christian name is Lorraine Song.
- When Hye-kyo was born, she was sick and her parents were told that she would not survive. But astonishingly, she made a full recovery and her parents registered her birth on February 26, 1982, instead of her actual birthdate, which is November 22, 1981.
- When she was a young girl, her parents got divorced and she was raised by her mother. Shortly after, they moved from Daegu to Gangnam District in Seoul where she grew up.
- She trained as a figure skater while in elementary school but finally gave it up in the 8th grade.
- When Song was a third-year student in junior high school, she won the first place in the SunKyung Smart Model Contest. She was 14 years old at the time and modeled for the school uniform company.
- At the turn of the century, South Korean culture received a boost in popularity with a renewed global interest in Korean melodramatic series and K-pop. Referred to as the Korean Wave, Song’s work in several such series helped cement her place as a Hallyu star.
- She released a photobook in early 2011 called Song Hye-kyo’s Moment which had top photographers from New York City, Atlanta, Patagonia, Buenos Aires, Paris, Brazil, and the Netherlands working for her. The proceeds from the sales were donated to a children’s foundation.
- Song became the first Asian actress to work with the French Global agency Effigies and released a photo-essay book titled “It’s Time for Hye-kyo” in 2012.
- In August 2014, she came under the scanner for committing tax evasion from 2009 to 2011. In her defense, she apologized and explained that her accountant had mishandled her paperwork without her knowledge. After receiving a notice from the National Tax Service, she paid the full initial amount of ₩2.56 billion with the additional fees totaling to ₩3.8 billion (US$3.7 million).
- She is an active participant, especially in animal-related charity works. Song has been involved in activities related to KARA (Korea Animal Rights Advocates) regularly.
- Hye-kyo joined hands with professor Seo Kyung-duk of Sungshin Women’s University, to distribute brochures or information in the Korean language to various Korean historic sites, art galleries, and museums in the world so that Korean tourists can read the displayed information in their native language.
- Song’s mother was blackmailed in 2005 for ₩250 million by her daughter’s ex-manager. Apparently, he threatened to pour acid on Hye-kyo if her mother failed to pay the money. It was revealed that the said ex-manager was fired after being guilty of fraudulent charges and tried to get back to Song for his crumbling financial crisis thereafter.
- Her hobbies include traveling, swimming, and figure skating.
- Visit her official website @ songhyekyo.co.kr.
- Follow her on Instagram.
Featured Image by KIYOUNG KIM / Flickr / CC BY 2.0