|Yoo Ah-in Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||October 6, 1986|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Yoo Ah-in is a South Korean actor, creative director, and gallerist who is best known for his work in films such as Antique (2008), Punch (2011), Secret Affair (2014), The Throne (2015), Default (2018), and Voice of Silence (2020). He is also well recognized for portraying characters such as Moon Jae-shin in the historical drama TV series Sungkyunkwan Scandal (2010), King Sukjong in the historical drama TV series Jang Ok-jung (2013), and Jeong Jin-soo in the supernatural drama TV series Hellbound (2021). Yoo Ah-in is also the curator and creative director of Studio Concrete, a creative collective that was established in 2014, and is involved in projects such as planning exhibitions and advertisements, graphic design, product design, and art collaborations. He was also an investor and business partner of TMI (Too Much Information), a Korean healthy fried food restaurant in Itaewon, Seoul, between 2015 and 2017.
Nam-gu, Daegu, South Korea
Seoul, South Korea
Yoo Ah-in had attended the Gyeongbuk Arts High School in Daegu and the Seoul Arts High School, a private school in Pyeongchang-dong, Seoul. He had dropped out of the latter institution to pursue an acting career.
Yoo Ah-in had then completed a GED (General Educational Development) certification (tests that ensure that the student has American/Canadian high school-level academic skills). He had later studied at the Dankook University, a private research university in Yongin, South Korea; and Konkuk University, a private university in Seoul.
Actor, Creative Director, Gallerist
- Siblings – He has 2 older sisters.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Korean descent.
- Slender frame
- Short-cropped, spiked hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
Yoo Ah-in has been featured in commercials for –
- Nongshim Jjolmyeon (noodles) (2003) (TV)
- Nongshim Honey Twist (snack) (2004) (TV)
- Elite school uniform (2004) (Print)
- SK Telecom Speed 011 (2005) (TV)
- Skoolooks school uniform (2005) (TV, Print)
- Bluetail apparel (2005) (Print)
- Absolut Vodka
- Calvin Klein Inc.
- Burger King
Yoo Ah-in Facts
- When Yoo Ah-in was in his first year at Gyeongbuk Arts High School, he had been spotted by a casting agent on the street in front of the school. He had then dropped out and moved to Seoul to pursue an acting career.
- There, he had been scouted to be an aspiring K-Pop idol and was also trained to sing. When he had acted in his first TV commercial, he had changed his name from Uhm Hong-sik to Yoo Ah-in because his first management had wanted to create a stage name for him that fitted an idol image. The ‘Ah-In’ part of his name was taken from the German word ‘ein’ which means ‘one’, which implies uniqueness.
- In 2016, he was ranked 2nd in Forbes Korea magazine’s ‘Power Celebrity’ list, an annual compilation of the top 40 most powerful celebrities in South Korea.
- In 2017, he had been diagnosed with a bone tumor which had delayed his mandatory military service stint (South Korea requires male citizens between the ages of 18 and 28 to perform compulsory military service for about 2 years). The tumor was later found to be non-cancerous. In June 2017, it was announced that he had been exempt from military service after he had failed 5 medical examinations.
- He was the first Asian actor to be chosen as a global model for the Italian retail clothing company Diesel as well as the first Korean actor to be named a brand ambassador for the French luxury goods conglomerate Cartier.
- Besides his acting career, he has also worked as a freelance writer. He was the chief editor of the fashion magazine Tom Paper (2014-2016) and has contributed several columns for magazines like InStyle Korea and Movieweek.
- He had donated his modeling fees from the luxury fashion house Balenciaga‘s ‘WFP 2021 Spring Collection’ to Balenciaga and World Food Programme (the food-assistance branch of the United Nations)’s 2021 ‘Zero Hunger’ campaign.
Featured Image by Yoo Ah-in / Instagram