|Steven N’Zonzi Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||December 15, 1988|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Steven N’Zonzi started his soccer journey with Amiens in the French second division. In his second season, he established himself as a key member of the team, which was relegated to the third division. The relegation paved way for his move to Blackburn Rovers. He established himself as a key member of Sam Allardyce’s side. However, Blackburn’s relegation in 2012 led to Steven moving to Stoke City, where he played for three seasons before forcing a move to Sevilla. At Sevilla, he managed to prove himself as one of the finest defensive-mids in the country.
Steven N’Kemboanza Mike Nzonzi
La Garenne-Colombes, France
Steven N’Zonzi started his soccer journey at the hometown club Racing Paris. Later, he moved to the academy setup of Paris Saint-Germain.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Fidele N’Zonzi
Steven N’Zonzi is represented by his father, Fidele N’Zonzi.
15 – SC Amiens, Blackburn Rovers, Stoke City, Sevilla FC, France National Team
42 – AS Roma
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
83 kg or 183 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Steven N’Zonzi has dated –
- Lynda (2013-2016) – In October 2013, Steven got married to Lynda. They had been dating for quite some time. In 2015, she gave birth to their son, Arden. However, their marriage didn’t last long after the birth of their son. In October, he had to stand trial for having assaulted his wife. She had claimed that he had brutalized her in front of their son and had threatened to punch her in the face. However, he claimed that he had grabbed her to stop her from coming at him. In December, he was cleared of all the charges. In January 2016, they were granted a quick divorce.
Race / Ethnicity
On his mother’s side, he has French ancestry. While on his father’s side, he is of Congolese descent.
Steven N’Zonzi has signed an endorsement deal with sportswear giant, Nike. As per the clauses of the deal, he is required to wear Nike in his professional matches.
Best Known For
Having delivered great performances with the Spanish side, Sevilla FC. During his stint with the Andalusian club, he managed to establish himself as one of the best defensive midfielders in the La Liga. He also managed to win a UEFA Europa League with the club.
First Soccer Match
In November 2007, he made his professional debut with the French club, Amiens, in a Coupe de France match against amateur club AS Raismes. He was sent in the 74th minute in his side’s 7-0 win.
In September 2012, Steven made his first appearance for Stoke City in a home Premier League match against Manchester City. He was declared ‘Man of the Match’ in his side’s 1-1 draw.
In August 2015, he made his debut for Sevilla FC in a La Liga match against Malaga CF. The match ended in a goalless draw.
In November 2017, he made his international debut for French national team against Wales at the Stade de France. He replaced Corentin Tolisso at the halftime.
- Aerial Duels
He doesn’t have any apparent weaknesses in his game.
Steven N’Zonzi Facts
- When he was playing for the youth system of Paris Saint-Germain, he used to play as a striker as the coaches felt his tall height was best utilized while leading the attacking side. He was later shifted to the attacking midfield position.
- In 2008, he signed his first professional contract with Amiens. He was also promoted to the senior squad.
- At the start of 2008-09 season, he was converted into a defensive midfielder. His strong performances for Amiens drew comparisons with the Arsenal legend Patrick Vieira.
- In May 2009, he scored his first professional goal as he scored Amiens’ only goal in their 2-1 defeat to Strasbourg.
- At the end of 2008-09 season, Amiens was relegated to the French third division, which made his transfer away from the club inevitable. He was linked with a move to English Premier League clubs – Blackburn Rovers and Portsmouth.
- In June 2009, Rovers paid a fee of £650,000 to secure the transfer. N’Zonzi signed a 4-year deal with the new club.
- In October 2009, he scored his first goal for Blackburn Rovers in his side’s 6-2 humiliation against Arsenal.
- At the end of his debut season with Rovers, he was selected as the Blackburn Rovers Player of the Year by the club’s fans.
- In August 2010, he signed a contract extension with Blackburn, which extended his stay with the club for 5 more years.
- In April 2011, he received the first red card of his career as he was sent off for launching into a two-footed challenge on Laurent Koscielny against Arsenal. He was also handed a four matches ban.
- In November 2011, he was slapped with a violent conduct charge after he elbowed Ryan Shawcross in the face. He admitted to the charge and was subsequently handed 3 matches ban.
- In July 2015, Sevilla paid £7 million transfer fee to sign him from Stoke City. The English club had tried to tie him down with a new contract but Steven rejected the contract extension, which forced City’s hand.
- He signed a 4-year contract with the Spanish club after completion of his transfer. His buyout clause was set at €30 million (£21.5m).
- In August 2018, the former Sevilla transfer guru Monchi decided to pay an initial fee of €26.65 million to bring Steven to his new club.
- Before he committed to the French national team, he was heavily courted by DR Congo FA. He even received a couple of call-ups to play for the national team but he decided to hold out for French national team.
- Follow him on Twitter.
Featured Image by Кирилл Венедиктов / Soccer.ru / CC BY-SA 3.0