|Tavi Gevinson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||April 21, 1996|
Tavi Gevinson is an American writer, magazine editor, entrepreneur, and actress who came into the spotlight in 2008, when at the age of 12, she had started a fashion blog titled Style Rookie. The blog later turned, in 2011, into an online magazine called Rookie, of which Tevi was the founder and co-editor. The magazine, in addition to fashion, also touched themes like pop culture and feminism and was targeted at teenage girls, being written mainly by teenage girls. By November 2018, however, she had to make the tough decision of shutting down Rookie as she felt that the website was no longer financially sustainable.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Tavi had attended the Oak Park and River Forest High School in Oak Park, Illinois.
Writer, Magazine Editor, Entrepreneur, Actress
- Father – Steve Gevinson (Former High School English Teacher)
- Mother – Berit Engen (Weaver, Part-Time Hebrew Teacher)
- Siblings – Rivkah Gevinson (Older Sister), Miriam Gevinson (Older Sister)
- Others – Harry Gevinson (Paternal Grandfather), Marcella Grossman (Paternal Grandmother)
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Ashkenazi Jewish (Russian and Polish) descent on her father’s side and Norwegian descent on her mother’s side.
She often tends to dye her hair blonde.
- Petite frame
- Neck-length, straight hair
- Radiant face
- Affable smile
Tavi Gevinson Facts
- Tavi’s father was born in an Orthodox Jewish family and her mother, who used to follow Lutheranism, a branch of Protestant Christianity, had converted to Judaism in 2001. Tavi and both her older sisters were thus raised in the Jewish faith, and Tavi had had a Bat Mitzvah ceremony.
- When she had started the fashion blog, Style Rookie, in 2008, she used to pose for photos in different outfits and write a commentary on the latest fashion trends for the blog. Over the next 3 years, the blog had started to attract nearly 30k readers each day but her father, who only thought of her blog as a fad, was not very supportive of her until she was invited by The New York Times for an interview.
- Her rising fame saw her being invited to big-ticket events like the New York Fashion Week and the Paris Fashion Week. She was even sponsored on fashion-related overseas trips by Pop magazine and was hired to write articles by Harper’s Bazaar and Barneys.com.
- She had also been invited to style a photoshoot for BlackBook magazine and had partnered with Borders&Frontiers to design her own T-shirt. In 2010, aged just 14, she had addressed a marketing conference in New York.
- In 2012, she had lent her voice to a character in the animated short film Cadavar, for which she had also sung renditions of 2 popular classic songs.
- In 2014 and 2015, she had played one of the leading roles in a play titled This Is Our Youth, which had runs in Chicago and at the Cort Theatre on Broadway.
- In 2016, she had played the character of Mary Warren in a production of the popular 1953 play The Crucible.
Featured Image by Tavi Gevinson / Instagram