|Tay Zonday Quick Info
|5 ft 8 in
|Date of Birth
|May 21, 1982
Tay Zonday is an American singer, songwriter, voice actor, and YouTuber who had become an overnight sensation in 2007 after his song titled Chocolate Rain had gone viral on social media. The track, a metaphor for racism in the United States, has amassed more than 150 million views on YouTube. His self-titled YouTube channel, where he uploads song covers, parodies, and original music, has garnered more than 1.5 million subscribers. He is also popular on other social media platforms with more than 50k followers on Instagram and more than 550k followers on Twitter.
Adam Nyerere Bahner
Tay Zonday, Chocolate Rain Guy
Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States
Studio City, San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles Country, California, United States
Tay had attended the North Royalton High School, a public school in North Royalton, Ohio. He had then joined the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy (IMSA), a residential public secondary education institution in Aurora, Illinois, but had dropped out before graduating.
He had eventually graduated, in 2004, from The Evergreen State College, a public liberal arts and sciences college in Olympia, Washington. Later that year, he had enrolled in The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, a public land-grant research university in the twin cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul in Minnesota. He had graduated from there in 2008 with a master’s degree.
Singer, Songwriter, Voice Actor, YouTuber
- Father – His father is a teacher.
- Mother – His mother is a teacher.
- Siblings – He has 2 older siblings.
Outsider Music, Electronica, R&B, Experimental Music, Spoken Word
Vocals, Keyboard, Piano
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and White)
He is of African-American and German descent.
- Slender frame
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
- Short-cropped, curly hair
- Deep, baritone voice
Tay Zonday has done commercial voice-over and spokesperson work for –
- Dr Pepper Soda
- Comedy Central
- Cartoon Network
- Hostess Brands
- Virgin America
- Discovery Channel
- Major League Baseball
Tay Zonday Facts
- He had initially enrolled in the American studies Ph.D. program, at The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, studying the history of theater and social change, to become a professor. He had, however, left the university with a master’s degree in 2008 after his 2007 song titled Chocolate Rain had become a viral hit.
- In 2006, while still a student there, he had started performing at open mic nights. A year later, to reach a wider audience, he had started to upload his music online. To create a point of difference between his academic and entertainment career, he had chosen ‘Tay Zonday’ as his stage name. He later revealed that there was no specific reason behind that particular name. It was just that he found that name quirky and catchy and a Google search had revealed to him that the name wasn’t already taken.
- He was invited to voice a part of a multimedia presentation that had been created to celebrate 50 years of the foundation of NASA.
- He suffers from Asperger syndrome.
Featured Image by Tay Zonday / Instagram