The 1975 is an English pop rock band that formed in Manchester, England. The lead vocalist and the founder of the band Matthew Healy met rest of his band members namely Ross MacDonald, Adam Hann, and George Daniel in high school and after playing together for several years, they formed the official band, The 1975. The band has released a few popular studio albums such as I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It (2016) and A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships (2018).
- Matthew “Matty” Healy (Lead Vocalist) – Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Keyboards, Synthesizers
- Adam Hann (Guitarist) – Guitar, Keyboards, Synthesizers
- Ross MacDonald (Bassist) – Bass, Samplers, Keyboards, Synthesizers, Backing Vocals
- George Daniel (Drummer) – Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals, Keyboards, Synthesisers, Production
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Electro-Pop, Synth-Pop, Pop Rock, Alternative Rock
- Dirty Hit Records
- Polydor Records
- Vagrant Records
- Interscope Records
|2012||The United Kingdom and Ireland|
|2013||North American and European Countries|
The 1975 released their first self titled album in September 2013. The album peaked at the number 1 spot on the Scottish Albums chart and UK Albums chart.
The 1975 Facts
- Matthew Healy, the frontman, formed the band when he was at the Wilmslow High School in Wilmslow.
- He met Ross MacDonald, Adam Hann, and George Daniel at the Wilmslow High School and the band was formed in 2002.
- They initially played covers of famous songs until they wrote an original song.
- The band was initially named Me; and You Versus Them, Forever Drawing Six Talkhouse, the Slowdown, Bigsleep, and Drive Like I Do before finally being named The 1975.
- The inspiration of the band’s final name was taken by back page of a poetry book by Jack Kerouac which had scribblings stating “1 June, The 1975”.
- Their 2nd and 3rd studio albums I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It and A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships respectively topped many music charts including UK, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, Scottish and American.
- Band’s musical style is heavily inspired by Black American music.
- In July 2023, the band was banned from Kuala Lumpur after Matt kissed his bandmate, Ross MacDonald, during a show and gave a speech against the Malaysian government’s anti-LGBTQ laws. In August 2023, they were sued by Future Sound Asia for a “breach of contract” after it was revealed that they were required to adhere to all local guidelines and regulations. However, during their set in Malaysia, the assurance was ignored.
- Visit the band’s official website @ the1975.com.
- Connect with the band members on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, Google+, and YouTube.
Featured Image by The 1975 / Instagram