Chloe Ardelia Wofford
Nick Name / Pen Name
Toni, Toni Morrison
Lorain, Ohio, United States
New York, United States
Toni Morrison graduated from Lorain High School in 1949. She studied Latin in the school.
After graduating from high school, she pursued her higher education in Howard University. She graduated with major in English from Howard in 1953. She continued her studies further and earned her Masters in Arts from Cornell University in 1955.
- Father – George Wofford
- Mother – Ramah (née Willis)
- Siblings – Toni Morrison is the second of four children in her family.
Toni Morrison is attached to The Random House Publishing Group (Book Publisher), New York.
Toni Morrison was of average build at a younger age as well.
Toni Morrison’s exact height is not known.
Toni Morrison may weigh 85 kg or 187 lbs
Toni Morrison has been married to –
- Harold Morrison (1958-1964) – Toni Morrison met the Jamaican architect Harold Morrison at Howard university when she was teaching English in 1957. They got married in 1958. The couple has two sons together. The relationship, however, did not work out well and the couple separated and divorced in 1964. She gave birth to her second son Slade in 1964 after the couple’s separation.
Race / Ethnicity
Distinctive Writing Features
- Concentrates on Black women
- Narration style
- Euro-American dichotomies alteration
- Theme of beauty and ugliness
Toni Morrison’s exact measurements are not known.
Toni Morrison’s shoe size is unknown.
Toni Morrison has not endorsed any of the brands.
Best Known For
Toni Morrison is best known for her first novel The Bluest Eye which was published in 1970.
She has also received accolades for Sula (1973), Song of Solomon (1977) and Beloved (1987).
Toni Morrison had written The Bluest Eye as a short story for a meeting at the Howard University. Later, she developed this story as her first novel which was published in 1970.
First TV Show
In 1981, Toni Morrison appeared in The South Bank Show, a TV documentary series in the episode ‘Toni Morrison.’
First Film Adopted
The first film, which has been adopted from her novel is Beloved that was released in 1998. The film had Oprah Winfrey and Danny Glover as the main characters.
Toni Morrison has never employed a personal trainer. She believes in living good and doing great work for people.
Toni Morrison Favorite Things
- Authors – Jane Austen, Leo Tolstoy
- Hobby – Music
- Writers – William Shakespeare, Faulkner, Gustave Flaubert
Source – Inspirational Black Literature, Wikipedia
Toni Morrison Facts
- Toni Morrison’s novels have been critically acclaimed for its theme about African-American people. She won the American Book Award and Pulitzer Prize for her novel ‘Beloved’ in the year 1988. In 1993, she was awarded the most prestigious Nobel Award in English Literature.
- She has also received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from the President of USA, Barack Obama, on May 29, 2012.
- Toni Morrison was born as Chloe Wofford, but uses the pen name as Toni Morrison. She was baptized as Anthony at the age of 12, which later was shortened to Toni, her present name. Morrison is her husband’s surname.
- She has played a vital role in bringing back Black literature to the mainstream by editing books written by Black authors like Henry Dumas, Toni Bambara, Angela Davis and Gayl Jones.
- She has also received noted honors from various colleges and universities. Among them, Barnard College has awarded her their highest honor ‘Barnard Medal of Distinction’ in 1979. In June of 2005, she received honorary Doctor of Letters from Oxford University.
- Toni Morrison publicly supported Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary contest for the 2008 Presidential elections.
- Her papers are the part of permanent library collections of Princeton University.
- Morrison has taught at Howard University, Princeton University, State University of New York and at Rutgers University: New Brunswick Campus.
- Toni Morrison can be followed on Facebook.
- Visit her writer profile at Knopf Doubleday.
- You may want to have a look at the books written by Toni Morrison on Amazon.