|Vairamuthu Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||July 13, 1953|
Vairamuthu is popularly called Kaviarasu in the Tamil film industry. He is a well-known personality in the Tamil literary world. In his childhood, along with academics, he also took up agriculture. Before entering the Tamil film industry, he worked as a translator. He started his career in the film industry in 1980 and has written more than 7,500 poems and songs. As of January 2020, Vairamuthu has won 7 National Awards which is the most for any Indian lyricist.
Kaviyarasu, kavingar, Kaviperarasu
Mettoor, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
Vadugapatti, Theni, Tamil Nadu, India
He completed his graduation from Pachaiyappa’s College in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Then, he pursued a Master’s program in Arts in the field of Tamil Literature at Madras University in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Poet, Lyricist, and Novelist
- Father – Ramasamy (Agriculturist)
- Mother – Angammal (Agriculturist)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
79 kg or 174 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vairamuthu’s name has been linked with –
- Ponmani Vairamuthu – Vairamuthu is married to Ponmani Vairamuthu who is a Tamil scholar and a former professor at Meenakshi College for Women, Kodambakkam, Chennai. The couple has 2 sons. Madan Karky, the elder son, is an Indian lyricist, research associate, screenwriter, entrepreneur, and software engineer and Kabilan Vairamuthu, the younger son, is a Tamil writer and activist.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Tamil ancestry.
- Bold Mustache
- Calm and composed nature
Vairamuthu Favorite Things
- Poets – Bharathiyar, Kannadasan, and Bharathidasan
- Writers – Karunanidhi (Late former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister), Pudhumaipithan, Mouni, Jayakanthan, BS Ramaiah, and T Janakiraman
Source – First Post
- He started writing poems at the age of 10. Vairamuthu was noted as a prominent poet and orator in his school by his early teens. He wrote a group of Venba poems which was inspired by Thiruvalluvar’s Tirukkural at the age of 14.
- He is a well-known speaker at various Tamil conferences in Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kuwait, Maldives, Oman, Russia, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and the United States.
- The poet has a foundation named The Vairamuthu Educational Trust to provide funds for underprivileged families and to educate their children. Vairamuthu has also worked as the president of the Indo-Soviet Cultural Association.
- One of his notable works includes Moondram Ulagappor. In this novel, he illustrated the difficulties and troubles faced by the Indian agrarian community due to liberalization, globalization, and global warming. It was portrayed in the dialectical language of the farmers. He donated a sum of Rs 11 lakh from the proceeds of the sales of his novel to the families of the farmers who committed suicide due to various reasons like debt and despair, severe drought, etc.
- His novel Kallikkattu Ithikasam represented the story of the families of a village who turned refugees in Independent India. It was due to the construction of the Vaigai dam where people from 14 villages were made to vacate their lands. Unfortunately, the poet himself belongs to one of the families who faced the misery of migration in his childhood. This novel has been translated into 22 different languages and the writer won the Sahitya Akademi Award in 2003 for the Best Literary Work.
Featured Image by Gavaskar / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0